Software
Houzz Logo Print
fairyprincess_gw

reliability, endurability, and quality of snapper lawn mowers

19 years ago

A couple of days ago I was responding to "Cutlas72" on the "Garden Web lawnmower forum" regarding his quest to buy a new lawn mower. I kept telling him about (2) self-propelled Snappers I have owned for more than 15 years and that were "about" 20 to 25 years old.

All this talk back and forth got me to thinking about just how old my Snappers really were as I had never taken the time to date them for as long as I have had them.

I'm "old school", and if something works for the job it is designed for, and if it does that job very well, I don't really care what it looks like or that it is not a new "gee whiz" machine.

My oldest Snapper 21" self-propelled has an aluminum (Might be magnesium.) deck and a 3.5hp Briggs & Stratton Classic engine on it. When I checked the manufacture code that was attached to the deck, Snappers on-line reference said it was built in 1979. When I checked Briggs on-line reference for the engine, I found the engine had been assembled on November 4, 1979. That tells me that my Snapper was built sometime in late 1979 or early 1980.

My "newer" steel decked Snapper 21" self-propelled mower showed a manufacture date of 1980 and the Briggs 3.5hp Classic engine on it ate itself in 2005. I repowered it with a 6.5hp Briggs Quantum in 2006.

I picked the aluminum decked unit up from a curb before the trash men got to it and only had to replace the flywheel shear key to make the Briggs engine run. The engine runs great and no longer burns oil because I am running it with a mixture of 6 ozs of "engine honey" and 14 ozs of straight 40w oil. For those of you that don't believe in additives, take my word for it that it is much more pleasant walking behind this mower when it is NOT BURNING oil which it would without the "engine honey" (I use a generic brand similar to STP.). The old engine runs smooth and is powerful enough to utilize a dethatcher blade that I attach to the bottom of the cutting blade. Using the mower in this fashion allows me to bag at the same time I am dethatching the lawn. The steel decked mower was given to me because it was on its last legs and the original engine on it still ran 14 years for me using "engine honey" and heavier weight oil before it finally died.

I have two Snappers that are at least 27 years old and one of them has the original engine on it. They cut grass great and the only thing I may modify on them is to add a flexible skirt to the bottom of the deck so that I can cut grass evenly with the deck height set at the highest position.

They both pack the grass into the bag so tightly and efficiently that despite the HUGE DUMP DOOR opening, I still have to shake the bag to get the grass out.

I swear that if you modified the bag chute to fit a small enough tube, you could use it as a sausage stuffer. If you let some of the grass flow in with the meat, it would guarantee that you get your recommended daily fiber.

I like the adjustable 6-speed shift control because with my bad knees it not only pulls itself along when I engage the clutch, but also helps pull me along. You can't get that with personal pace because if you are squeezing the handle on a personal pace machine, it will go at top speed unless you release the handle at which point it WILL NOT BE PULLING YOU along.

If I require short movements back and forth, I merely use the handle without engaging the clutch and despite the machines almost 90 lbs weight, the Snappers 9" rear wheels which are driven by a real differential and its 7" front wheels make manual pushing in both directions very easy.

The steel decked unit has a mulching, side discharge, and bagging attachment for it and the aluminum one has a side discharge and bagging attachment for it.

One last GREAT FEATURE they both have is that the wheels are independently adjustable and you can adjust the wheels on one side lower so that you can get a nice taper edge along your curb lines. The wheel adjustment feature also allows you to adjust it as a very efficient hard surface blower using the side discharge setup.

All you other guys can rant and rave all you want about your new "gee whiz" mowers, but how many of the other companies have retained their original design for as long and how many CEO's of other companies have said "NO TO WAL-MART", and other box stores because their quality is so good that independent lawn and garden dealers can still make money on a machine that sells for such a low price considering its superior quality and design.

Fairyprincess

Comments (8)

  • 19 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Though my walk-behind mower experience is very limited and my Snapper even more-so, I must co-sign with the princess. I've only used my mower twice since purchase, bagging both times, but I can honestly say that 1) it left no clippings on the yard even though I overfilled the bag the first few times, and 2) the clippings in the bag looked as if they'd been mulched... and I haven't even put the Ninja blade on yet.

    Judging by the performance thus far, I'm sure I'll be just as happy when I start mulching. So, if like me, you look at value over price, the Snapper should be at the top of your list.

    BTW... I bought the push model because I'm a fat-a** and need all the exercise I can get. :-)

  • 19 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Whereas I like Honda engines I still like the good old basic Snapper mower. As mentioned, this thing has only seen minor mods to the deck and drive system in the last 30 something years.

    Actually it goes even further back but the early drive although similar had some whackey things like a reverse and a troublesome belt engagement system.

    The mower was simply done right many many years ago and someone was smart enough not to tamper with a good thing.

  • 19 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Agreed. They had a good thing going and knew not to mess with it. I find the bag system a little awkward but otherwise they are a great mower.

  • 19 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I don't much like the newer door style bag. The old Z closer style is a dandy though. Pop open a large yard plastic bag, drop the Z end into the bag, reach down and pull the clip and pull the mower bag out while clipping drop into throw away bag.

    A good full mower bag is about all one of those large yard bags can handle. I know some folks complained of the Z bag closer which is why they came up with the door style but once you learn how to fold and use it, it is great.

    We still get old timers who want the Z bag on their new Snapper and we just put the door bag in stock, it will sell over the counter later on, and install the Z bag.

  • 19 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I had a 1985 Snapper Mower that I gave to a good friend who fell on hard times. It is still running perfect for him but he doesn't take as good a care of it as I did. I have a 2004 Lawn Boy now that I really like but I still miss that Snapper.

  • 19 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    As you all can tell by my user name, I'm definitely an old-school Snapper fan. I grew using my dad's 1975 aluminum-deck self-propelled Snapper, and inherited from him when I bought my first house. Great mower! I finally replaced with Hi-Vac steel-deck Snapper to get better mulching performance. As a bagger, the V210 series was great, and the only challenge these days is finding a new engine to fit them when the old one craps out. The new big motors don't clear the tunnel in front or the chute on the side most of the time. You're pretty much limited to an L-head engine with some creative fuel-tank redesigning, or a two-stroke if you can find one.

    BTW, I also agree with N_W about the bag. I like the z-style closure better. I also like the fact that those bags hold half a bushel more than the door-style bags.

  • 19 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Yesterday, a customer came in looking to replace his late 70's Snapper with a self propelled. He says the old machine is prone to plugging but he has never replaced the blade!!!! I can imagine what it looks like LOL. He did change the wheels once. Try getting 30 years out of most of today's offerings.

  • 19 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Funny you guys should mention the "Z" closure bag.

    The Snapper I picked off the curb had that particular bag with it.

    Since I don't bag my clippings but dump them on a compost pile behind the shed in my back yard the large dump door style works better for me.

    My large dump door bag comes off easily enough for me and the biggest concern is to have the mower engine shut off to avoid a face full of grass from the chute.

    I use a modified "sling shot" casting system of dumping the bag similar to casting a lure under low hanging branches.

    I hold the dump door closed with the left hand and with my right hand holding the handle on the chute gate part of the bag I start swinging the bag to the right over the compost pile and at the correct moment let go of the dump door handles.

    The inertia of the swinging bag causes the mass of grass in the bag to come flying out of the bag onto the mulch pile.

    While I like the fact that the "Z" closure bag holds more, it just isn't as easy to empty in my application.

    Oh well, to each their own and since I have both bag styles and they both fit either machine, I can always switch if I decide to bag or need the more accurate method of dumping that the "Z" closure bag affords.

    Fairyprincess