Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fredmertz_gw

Cheap B&S won't start

fredmertz
10 years ago

I have a one year old high wheel push mower with a small B&S engine with a primer bulb. All of a sudden it wont start unless a small amount of gas is poured directly in the carb and then it dies. The engine WILL run as long as the primer bulb keeps getting pumped. Hard to mow like that. Any ideas? It does have a good spark. Thanks.

Comments (10)

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Posting the Model & Type numbers would let one determine which Briggs of the 100's of models made and which carb of the dozens of types.

• fredmertz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Bill, Thanks for the reply. The model #10T602
    Type 4457
    Code 11072154

I have an old (1994) B&S single cylinder repair manual. The diagram in the manual looks like it may be a Pulsa-prime for 9 cu.in. models

• ericwi
    10 years ago

Our mower had the same issue, I could keep it running if I kept on pulsing the primer button every few seconds. Adding some gum-out to the gas tank, and then running the engine for 20 minutes or so, made the problem go away. But our mower was around 5 years old when this happened. I can't explain why you would be having to do this on a one year old mower.

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Go to the Briggs website and download the IPL for your engine.

Likely, the carb diaphragm is bad. It acts as a fuel pump.
    Part 394 on page 4 of 9.

It's only a "couple" $ part.

While you have the carb off, inspect the pick up tube screen to make sure it's not clogged.
    I recommend you get a can of spray carb cleaner and using the tube, blast through the holes on the underside of the carb.

• fredmertz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll remove the carb and disassemble. I guess if the diaphragm is warped and out of shape it needs to be replaced. Thanks for the info.

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Typically, you'll get a small crack in the rubber that prevents it from doing its "thing".

IF you have a camera, take pics of the linkage etc.
    Their memory cards seem to work better than ours.

• fredmertz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, Here's two pics. One of the linkage and another of the diaphragm. The gasket on the carb looks like new.

• fredmertz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The pic of the diaphragm

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

There's still the blasting with the carb cleaner tube,
    Any place that has an orifice that you can shoot cleaner through.
    On the bottom, one hole should blast through to the fuel pick up tube and another through to the venturi.

And use a NEW diaphragm.

This post was edited by bill_kapaun on Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 10:57

• fredmertz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

new gasket and diaphragm installed, fresh gas and it started right up. Thanks.