Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

So you think you can dance

aachenelf z5 Mpls
16 years ago

Who else thinks this is just the best thing ever on the tube? This is my second year watching and it almost gives me faith again in the youth of this country. The talent is amazing, the judging intelligent, the choreography mind-blowing at times.

At this point in time, I'm not sure if I have a fav or not. They're all so freaking good in one way or another. Maybe Pasha for the men? Not sure though.

Kevin

Comments (21)

• greymoya
    16 years ago

ME ME ME!!! My mom, my aunt, and I are all addicted and have been since the very first show on the very first season. After Season 2, when they did the tour, my mom and aunt DROVE from Dallas to Denver to see it! I wanted to go too but my mom and I work together, and I had to stay here and run the office. I told her though, this year if they do a tour again, *I* get to go this time!

I don't know who I like best either, at this point the talent is so deep, WAY deeper than either of the last 2 seasons. I like Lacy, because Benji was my favorite last year and I think their whole family is adorable. I LOVE Pasha and Sarah dancing together now, they make a great couple (and by the way, they should hire Benji to choreograph permanently). I also love Sabra and thought their sexy hip-hop dance last week was HOT. I could watch Anya dance all day if not for snooty Danny. They are just ALL so great, I can't pick just one favorite!

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh I just knew there had to be someone else out here into this program! You're right. The talent is very deep, not like that terrible Dancing with the Stars crap. Hated that show!

I record all the programs because I just can't be bothered with commercials. I also like to watch certain routines a few times when they're really good. Last week I bet I watched Pasha & Sarah at least 3 times (you're right, Benji should be hired) and that hip-hop dance with Dominic & Sabra just blew me off the couch. That was one of the most lyrical and moving dances I have ever seen. Can't wait for this week, but don't give anything away. I probably won't watch the recording until the weekend.

K

• greymoya
    16 years ago

I watched it last night, it was great! I won't give it away, but there's even a foxtrot, my LEAST favorite dance, that I watched 4 times!

I'm that bad too, I have a DVR and record them and watch them the same night, but then I save the show and watch the dances again a week or so later. It's fun to see them again after you've kinda forgotten how awesome they were! I saved last night's and still have the last 2 weeks' worth saved to watch a few more times.

I still think the dance that's been the most moving for me was Allison and Ivan last year, doing Mia's choreography to that Annie Lennox song. I literally CRIED! I love the really unusual ones, like Hok and Jaime from 2 weeks ago where she was the flower and he was the hummingbird. They were both SO good and her control is just fantastic, best of anyone this season.

I have a confession...I LOVE "reality" tv! I know it's not really reality but it's so riveting. I love Survivor and Big Brother and those, but I especially love the ones where contestants have to have a talent. So You Think You Can Dance, Hell's Kitchen, Top Chef, American Idol, and yes even Dancing With the Stars, I love 'em all. And at least on those it's not just a popularity contest; well it is to a point, but for the most part the winners have the most talent. I can't help it, I'm hooked!

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Now I wish I would have saved some of the episodes I recorded. I would like to see a lot of these dances again. You're right about that dance with Allison & Ivan. I've never forgotten that and was so happy when they showed a short clip this season. It was wonderful. I wonder what happened to both of them, especially Ivan? I ALWAYS get excited when I know any of the dancers are going to work with Mia. Love her work!

It will be interesting to see what happens to Hok. He's so remarkable in what he does, but I don't know if he has enough to go all the way. Again though, he's really surprised me with what he's be able to do so far.

For some reason I don't consider this program reality TV. Maybe it is, but I guess in general I don't watch that stuff except for Big Brother. It's so trashy, but summertime is the perfect time for a bit of trash. Right?

K

• greymoya
    16 years ago

I just define "reality tv" as anything unscripted. This show isn't scripted, therefore it's reality tv. That's not an official definition, just my own!

Yeah, Hok is great, he's very talented just not in a trained way. And so far the past winners have all been professionally trained.

And hey, don't knock trashy, trashy can be FUN!

• greymoya
    16 years ago

Oh, and since you watch Big Brother, and speaking of trashy....how badly do you HATEHATEHATE that disgusting Jen??? The only thing sadder than someone walking around like that is that someone apparently thinks she's a good role model for their children!

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We all do need a bit of trash, but like chocolate cake just a bit will do. Jen makes good TV. Everyone hates her and that makes good ratings.

K

• greymoya
    16 years ago

True, but some people are so awful they make me angry and then I'm not enjoying watching the show anymore. Jen is one of those people for me, I don't enjoy seeing her or listening to her, I just want her off my TV! Luckily, after last night, looks like that won't be an issue much longer...

• clintdawley
    16 years ago

Uh, Kev..

Even though I'm a dancer I find this show too "gay" for words.

Where is PROJECT RUNWAY???!!!!

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Not sure what to say to that. It certainly hasn't changed my opinion. This program just gets better every week for the same reasons I stated in my original post.

Too gay?? Good lord I hate that phrase for obvious reasons and no, I never bought the whole argument for Blacks using the N word either.

Project Runway - give me a flippin break!!

• clintdawley
    16 years ago

Uh..that one Mary chick was enough to do me in. I would like to see Santino scratch her eyes out.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK, I agree she is kind of an odd one. If you can make it past her appearance and mannerisms, she does know dance and does make some very intelligent comments. She kind of grows on you after a while - like maybe 2 years.

K

• orrin_h
    16 years ago

Um, too gay? As if anything can be.

I love this show too. I guess I should say 'loved', 'cause it's done. My question is, "who won???" I'm never home on Thursday nights and seldom record things so I never got to see who won. I pretty much agreed with the last two season winners, and this year I figured Sabra was the overall most amazing dancer, but I don't know the outcome....

One thing about this show I don't like: the audience voting thing. I don't like the results relying on the votes of people who don't know anything about dance. That blond guy who went through to the final four who hunched his shoulders through the whole season even after it was pointed out to him shouldn't have gone as far as he did, and wouldn't have if he wasn't so ridiculously cute. I like Hell's Kitchen (aside from it being so fabulous anyway) because there's one judge who knows what the hell he's about.

And Mia's choreography is beyond brilliant. LOVE her.

Sorry I'm late to the conversation-I don't get out much.

-O-

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good timing. I was just thinking of reviving this thread.

Sabra did win. I knew she should, but it still surprised the heck out of me. I thought for sure all the teenage girls would vote their fingers raw for one of their little heartthrobs.

I was very sad to see this end, although the season finale was wonderful. Glad I taped it. They brought back the clogger and the odd, little guy with scoliosis. Both brought down the house of course.

Mia was probably my fav too, but Wade Robson also did some pretty amazing stuff. There were only a couple of choreographers that didn't seem quite up to the task. I bet they won't be back next year.

I agree about the audience voting thing. They have to do something about that. On a few occasions some of the better dancers had choreography that just didn't quite make it. People were voting for dance numbers and not dancers IMO.

It still amazes me that people who adore Dancing with the Stars won't even check this program out. Don't understand it. Is it all about watching celebrities making fools out of themselves?

K

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

I think another season of Project Runway may be coming up :)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Project Runway - What must all those starving children in Africa think of us?

• orrin_h
    16 years ago

About the 'America votes' thing: at least this show has ridiculously deep talent to start with. Watch 'American Idol' for one early season episode. It seems fairly obvious that they've chosen any number of people to compete who are clearly sub-par so easily votable offable (again, of course, unless they have a major 'pretty factor').

Even so, there was a guy from Phoenix AZ (Ricky?) who I don't think made it past the first show. Mia was practically peeing her pants over him during auditions ("Where did he come from?") And she never got to work with him, much to my despair. He even had a serious 'pretty factor', but probably pulled a first dance out of his genre and didn't have a chance to learn from it. And yet pretty blond hunchy-boy made it to the final four. I suppose the shirtless dance helped him out a bit.

At least Sabra won. Cool. I could watch her for days.

-O-

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

Those children in Africa can enjoy fashion just as easily as anyone else! In fact, they may get some ideas from the show--particularly the episode where they had to make clothes with materials from the recycling center.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You're going to hell for sure now.

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

You're telling me this on a day when my office is freezing.

• orrin_h
    16 years ago

Nothing wrong with going to hell. That's where the big afterlife party is (as Satan's little helper, I already have a suite reserved).

Who wants to hang out in heaven with a bunch of dead uptight people who never had any fun in life so they could get there?

Life is a trip, but the people living it are trippier.

-O-