Software
Houzz Logo Print
barb1975

Tile Trim Pieces

14 years ago
I bought a white glass and marble mosaic matchstick tile and I have 3 spaces to finish. 2 of the spaces run corner to corner, so I don't have to worry about not having matching trim available. The other space ends at an open corner, and I was sort of thinking that the white, uneven tile might look cool unfinished at the end, with the dark gray wall that is (well, will be) behind it showing through. My questions are: 1.) Do you think it will look good, or just lazy/unfinished? And 2.) If I do the wall this way and then don't like it, is it possible to add the trim pieces AFTER the rest of the tile has been set? (Please pardon the photo; obviously, the wall has not been painted yet and the tile is not set.)

Comments (12)

  • 14 years ago
    Not sure why this image didn't attach the first time. Trying again.
  • 14 years ago
    I agree. Finish it now.
  • 14 years ago
    Ok, ok, I'll finish! :) Thank you for the responses. I prefer finished as well, I just don't like my options. Can I just cut, file and caulk the cut tiles at the end? Being it is matchstick tile, I think vertical tile pieces (like a bull nose, IF I can even find that) would not look good. I do not like the metal framing either. Are there any other options?

    I've included the pic of my kitchen because technically, I don't believe this wall even needs to have tile. (My husband likes the idea of tile; because of the lack of a framing material that I like, I prefer paint and wall decor on the eat-in side of the kitchen.) What's your opinion on just leaving that wall with no tile?
  • 14 years ago
    I'm not familiar with your particular tile, but most tiles are available to order individual pieces with the bull nose on either the top or the side. So it looks like you need a number of bullnose tiles with the bullnose on the short side and then bullnose tiles with the long horizontal side as bullnose only in places where your tile doesn't end at a cabinet. The tile pieces with the bull nose on the short side are then cut to size on whatever side doesn't have the bull nose. The bull nose tiles are more expensive than the field tiles, but they really are needed to finish off the edges of your backsplash properly.

    I'm not sure I'm really understanding your new question about the eat-in side of the kitchen because your photo doesn't enlarge when I click it so I can't see it very well. But the backsplash tiles should be consistent--i.e. above every counter, not just on one side of the kitchen and not on the other.
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks, Feeny. My question about the non-sink side of the kitchen was, do I need to tile it? It does not need a backsplash for a practical purpose; I have seen kitchens that do not tile over the entire (or all) counter spaces, so if I just tile the entire sink side, and leave the counter on the other side of the kitchen simply painted, would that look ok. From your response, I gather not.

    I attached another photo (hopefully). I compressed the other one because for some reason they weren't loading directly from my camera. Maybe this one will work better.

    Thank you, again, for your responses!
  • 14 years ago
    Oh, and the tile manufacturer does not sell end pieces, so I would have to find them somewhere (I've already tried big-box stores) or use metal trim (which I really don't care for).
  • 14 years ago
    Personally, I would continue the backsplash on the side with the stools. You are right, however, that since you already have the small lip backsplash in your counter material, adding a backsplash anywhere is optional. But I do think backsplashes improve the look of a kitchen, and I think they look better when they are used consistently over the counters, especially in a galley kitchen like yours. I also think higher backsplashes (i.e. up to the cabinets) are more practical over all kitchen counters. It isn't just the sink that splashes. If you are like me, you occasionally squirt tomato seeds on the wall while chopping them or splash other substances when mixing vigorously (maybe I'm just a messy cook?). In any case, I certainly find myself wiping off my backsplashes all around my kitchen, not just over the stove and sink.
  • 14 years ago
    I can't believe the tile manufacturer doesn't sell end pieces! How do they expect anyone to be able to use that tile?? I'm not experienced enough with tile to be able to suggest edging options in this situation, so I'm hoping one of the professionals on houzz can help you with this issue. If no one else answers, then do contact a reputable professional tiler or specialty tile store to see what they suggest in this situation.
  • 14 years ago
    Okay, I just looked up glass mosaic tile bull nose pieces and came up with this explanation for the lack of bull nose tiles (and instructions for what to do):
    http://designernotes.modwalls.com/2011/03/03/edging-options-for-modwalls®-lush®-and-brio®-glass-tiles/
  • 14 years ago
    Feeny, you are WONDERFUL!! Thank you for the link to modwalls -- there are so many options on this site, I am certain I will be able to finish the eat-in wall without the metal edges that I despise!
  • 14 years ago
    Glad to be of help. As you can see, I certainly learned something in the process!