Software
Houzz Logo Print
jenniferclayton

Window Trim Color need help

14 years ago
A year ago we had new windowns installed which are white. We are currently having the exterior of our home painted and the painter thought we wanted an offwhite color for the columns and trim, which leaves my vinyl windows and the casings around them white. Is this going to look ridiculous?

Comments (11)

  • 14 years ago
    I don't think it will look ridiculous. It may make the windows pop a bit in comparison to the trim, which won't be a bad thing.
  • 14 years ago
    Use thin trim on the sides Of the window and add a wider or thicker trim on the header to add hight. It will look nice!
  • 14 years ago
    Our house was very similar color to yours (gray green siding, white windows, white trim) except our doors are white as well. We had all the trim painted last year, black/brown, and I love it. We don't have such large columns, or dark doors, so I'd be cautious there. Our painter did one window, one door, first, so we could see if we like it. he didn't recommend doing it, but when it was done he did admit how sharp it looked. Good luck!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I think that it will not look as nice as the uniform white. When an off white is next to or near bright white, what happens is that the off white reads as dirty and needs cleaning or in your case is an unfinished paint job. LOVE YOUR HOUSE! Are the shutters going to be closed all of the time? If so, I would opt to have them painted the same color as the body of the house because they are now demanding attention. If they are going to be open then I really love them being dark and dramatic. Adds formality. Could balance the dark paint by adding window boxes under the upstairs windows on left and right side that have space for them. Adding plantings of trimmed boxwood level to the foundation would emphasize the formality of your wonderful home. Best of luck. You are doing a great job!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Hi Jennifer, I agree with Healing Spaces about the off-white looking dirty against the white windows. Sounds like the painters have already done the work but in any case the painters should fix it because they did not communicate with you about which color you want for the house. Good Luck.

    Rear elevation of Glencoe solar LEED Platinum home · More Info
  • 14 years ago
    Don't like dytectures example. Busy.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    We have an addition with lots of floor to ceiling windows that has off white wood exterior siding and trim. I foolishly didn't think about this when we ordered the windows, so the exterior aluminum cladding on the windows is pure white. The effect isn't terrible, but it isn't what I would have chosen had I been thinking clearly. In your case, I'd have the painters correct their error.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    With white vinyl windows an off white just looks dirty. It is one of my pet peeves. The perfect white to match the vinyl is Benjamin Moore's Ice Mist. I have a shake house with white vinyl windows and all my trim looks so fresh!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Ask the painters to repaint. That would always catch my eye and drive me crazy. Hope that helps. Charmean Neithart
  • 11 years ago

    Hi,

    Definitely would not put cream against the white. I would use quite a dark grey/green (in the same colour family as the siding). It will look rich, complement the siding and also make the windows pop.

    Good luck!

Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio