Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calamity_j

Question about pond lily fertilizing and update

Calamity_J
13 years ago

Hey! I was wondering about how many tomato spikes to use per lily, they are just regular pink/yellow lilies, not tropical. I just redid the planting shelf(milk crates)as it was too bouyant, and so has cement square blocks in it now, looks great! I used zap straps and a pvc pipe along the edges to firm it up. Now I wanna get the plants in but couldn't remember how many spikes to use. I hauled out the filter and cleaned the sponges too, then added some "new pond", it says it has bacteria to help it all to get going again. I noticed I have 6 babies!! 2 have turned color and are shubunkin colors!!!yes! 4 are still brownies. That makes 15 goldfish in my pond. I had some string algae in there, so am thinking of getting a uv bulb, it is a 9watt one for the unit I have.It is a 2000 cyprio filter. I am also thinking of what someone here is doing, the hanging planter hooks for hauling out the water lilies, just drilling holes in the pans and adding the planter hangers to them.

Comments (11)

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was wondering, since reading some more posts...if I need to repot the lilies, they are not growing over the sides as you can see in the pic, so could I be lazy and just stuff some tomotao spikes in? I will repot if you think I should...plus a few pics of the new pond shelf, amped up, stronger, heavier...

{{gwi:192526}}

{{gwi:192527}}

{{gwi:192528}}

• ernie_m
    13 years ago

I have ONE lilly (yellow) that last year (it's 2nd year with me) actually bloomed! I put 3 Jobs spikes in it in the spring and then forget it. It sits in my plants only pond.

I started my pond off with cheap feeder fish and one was dark gray or black, but then proceeded to change colors with flashed of orange, then turned full orange just like all the others so I can't tell you any more about that particular fishie.

When I started my pond I was using some concrete bricks in there but found they can really mess up your ph so I stopped using them and the ph returned to normal on its own.

That looks like a great pond for that area, I bet you get a lot of use (looking) with it.

• mammasue
    13 years ago

Lilies are heavy feeders. The instructions on my Jobes for vegetables says to use 8 spikes per plant. I'd feed again in a couple of months at least depending on the length of your growing season.

I use pond tabs and feed every month during the summer.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info, I will keep an eye on the ph of the water...I was hoping because they are old weathered blocks, that they would be okay. I also put in those big pcs of porceline as more weight. These top baskets are 2ftsq, so am still debating using these bigger rubber tubs(I think they are farm feed bins)and just fill them up with all the water lilies I have. I didn't think I could get away with that many fertilizer spikes!!! Last year I used maybe(can't remember) 5 in each and had a lovely display! I also have this HUGE tub, like 2 ft around! Was considering using it, but not sure if I could haul it back out again when I need to. Plus it is a very bright green...hmmm.
    Here is a pic from last year, showing how the pond is right off the deck.

{{gwi:192529}}

{{gwi:192530}}

• catherinet
    13 years ago

I don't think you need to repot. Just fertilize.

• sheepco
    13 years ago

I agree, don't repot this year, just fertilize. I use 3 spikes per lily - planted in oil pans that are ~ 14" across x 4" deep. I usually only remember about every other month...... but it works for me. (that said, I'd probably get even more blooms if I did it right!)

Congrats on the babies, it's such fun to see what color they'll turn out. I like the ones that are grey/black with a stripe of orange down the back!

I don't know anything about UV filters, but I think they only work on suspended algae, not string. Check before you buy :)

S

• lefd05
    13 years ago

I use two tomato spikes per pot every 45 days during blooming season.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So I repotted cuz I wanted to squeeze 2 more lilies in, so one pot has 2 pink and the other one has 1 pink, 1 yellow, with 10 spikes in each pot/tub, and I used jkitty litter to keep the soil down, but the kitty litter has some kind of filler in it, and it looks kinda fluffy like cotton batting now...I shoulda chkd the bag better and seen what is up. I hope it doesn't effect the fish. I also put my oxygenator plant in a bigger pot, cutting it back, will it regrow?(Parrots feather)

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

yes, the parrot's feather will regrow.

UV lights do not work on string algae.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So I hauled out the lilies and am so mad at myself! The pond looks all milky!! grrr! Live and learn! And the lilies looked fine without the kitty litter, the soil was just staying in place, I just thought it would look neat and tidy with it.grrr

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    13 years ago

i have done the very same thing j. -never seem to learn to leave well enough alone. sometimes i say a lot more than grrrr tho. (:

your pond is lovely so close to the deck. good planning!

min