Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
d_hubbs

Please help with Living Room Style!

Debra
11 years ago
Trying to update my living/family room. Had what probably was a crazy idea to try to go a bit tropical (not the real beachy tropical though) or slightly African or Indonesian lol. Ordered these bamboo lamps (I'll include a pic). The room is tough, kind of have to float the furniture, it is 20x20, high wood ceilings. I wanted to make it a bit more contemporary but with the wood ceilings, stone fireplace, the furniture I have, I thought maybe going with a bit darker theme might work? Any ideas for accents and style? Paint is BM Early Morning Mist, trim on French door and window (once I repaint it) will be grant beige. Carpet is sugar cane, couches kind of khaki I guess. I saw a cute zebra and Giraffe at Home Goods and almost bought to place on the hearth but chickened out. The table in the corner will be gone and the tv will be on a stand on the wall in the corner. Not sure what I can get away with as far as going okay with what I have? Help I'm terrible at this!

Comments (47)

• michigammemom
    11 years ago
    I wouldn't recommend getting too "themey" with your room, but you might want to explore British Colonial style which evokes a tropical feel. The biggest hurdle to achieving the look in your room is the rustic fireplace. You might consider a more formal mantle and firescreen to make your space look cohesive.
    Williams Sonoma Home Spring 2009 British Colonial · More Info
  • Debra
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you both. One of the reasons I thought tropical would work a bit is because it doesnt have to be too formal and I don't want a very formal room. I can change the fireplace screen but I'm not sure about the mantle. I cannot change my furniture at this time. Dytecture I love the color of my paint, although it looks a little different in my picture but we just painted it this color so I don't want to change that. It is grayer than it shows in my picture. Any other suggestions? Is there anything else I can do?
  • Chandani
    11 years ago
    Grant beige would be very nice with the stonework on your fireplace. Since you want a more casual look, might I suggest you take a look at cottage/beach style (not country cottage)? You could go with colours that you see on the beach....works with what you have picked so far. I'd chose a more casual coffee table and bring in an area rug to anchor the space. Slip covers can be expensive, but that might be an option to consider.

This is what I envision in your space:
    Sunny and Bright Living Room · More Info
  • Debra
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Michigammemom, I looked at some pics in the British Colonial style and thought some of the rooms very beautiful. Not sure how I can achieve that look but would like to try. The table in the corner I was going to sell has large spindled legs, maybe I should try to incorporate that in somewhere. As you enter the room there is wall space to the left that I have an old oak dresser that I'm getting rid of and can add a different style piece. There is some space on the opposite side also. My picture doesnt show, but there is a large spiral staircase going up to the loft and then french doors to the dining room, so there's not a lot of wall space and why floating the couches look best I believe. If you have any other ideas, please share! I saw pics of west indies colonial tropical, was very pretty. Is there a way to get my post more exposure? I'm desperate here lol.
  • Debra
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Chandani, thank you for your suggestion. As much as I love the cottage/beach style I don't want to use that in my living room. I think that would be harder to pull off with certain things I have than other styles. My bathroom is done in a spa/beach look and I love it but I don't like the cottage look for this house.
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    You already have some elements of British Colonial style...dark woods, light walls, & curvy lines in your sofa. The lamps you are contemplating would also work. Here's a helpful little HGTV article that might jump start your search for decor that will fit the style. http://www.hgtv.com/decorating/british-colonial-style-tips/index.html
  • Debra
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you, I feel very inspired! I do hate the fireplace screen, what would work better? I already ordered the lamps so would rather not have to return them so hoping they will work. Also hoping the tables will work but can possibly replace if I had to. I kind of like them actually but I think they have a slight asian flair, but like the large heavy legs they have. I need to keep the throw pillows (other than the tannish ones) as I had just bought them. They have leaves and vines so I think they'll work, maybe can find some to replace the tan ones that would help the look. I have old mahogany candlesticks with crystal tulip tops that I was going to sell but I think they might work in this room now if I go with this style. Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Love British Colonial: it is my bedroom style! Not that difficult to achieve. Look at first picture posted: head to Cosco and add at couple of tall palms (try not to over water, and if the start to look sick just replace. I am not a fan of fakes!) Set them in tall baskets and top with dried moss. Besides that, add botanical art, ships at sea, etc. (Look at the art behind the palm in the picture.) A series of prints on the wall to the left of the fireplace would set your tone.

I love your room (and the lamp). Just think accessories as if you were a proper English lady being sent to the tropics: silver tray on the coffee table with some shells. Old books.
  • Lynnette Grant
    11 years ago
    Look at the above picture of the british colonial room, the three things that help set the tone are 1) the tall palm tree in the corner, 2) the pictures on the walls of birds, and 3) the rug on the floor that adds pop. I would add those touches to your room; maybe on either side of the fireplace and if you can try to bring in a british colonial style chair adding a casually place throw and some books on the coffee table. Add a few found objects...a magnifying glass, a clock etc.
  • 1890reno
    11 years ago
    Love the wall paint colour.... I would paint the mantel and your corner cupboard black this would tie the room together and it would go with your screen and TV. I would also remove one colour from you cushions....too different in colour. Maybe you could use tone on tone... I like the lamp but it is a bit small to stand so close to the fireplace and you may want to darken the shade. Could you hang your TV over your fireplace or does it get to hot. I you can't use one large picture instead of lots of little things. I also think a carpet will help ground your room. Hope this helps ...Jilly
  • 1890reno
    11 years ago
    Ps.... Missed the part with your new lamps. love them.
  • Debra
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    pcmom, thank you! Yes I've been looking for botanical prints. Was going to research how much light real palms need because I also hate fake plants. Will go to Costco. I have many shells as I'm a shell collector. Actually after this pic was taken I bought a nice square bowl and a mix or those organic looking balls, etc. and I have them in there with a couple other organic things. I'd still like to get a tray. I also have two plant stands from the Bombay Co., dark wood with spindles, so will get plants for those. I have a great old ships oil lantern I will use also. I have a really elegant breakfront/bookcase in my dining room that I always hated there because it doesnt go with anything else. It is burled walnut and mahogany, the type with a little desk area in the top drawer. I have all my china and crystal in it but I am so tempted now to move that in and take out the corner cabinet. My husband built that for me so I'd have to find somewhere else for it lol. Maybe kitchen. The breakfront is sort of a chippendale repro...but I'm thinking would work. Not sure if it would make the room look off balanced because it is a large piece. I really love this style, hope I can achieve something close! Thanks so much!
  • Debra
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Lynnette, thank you for the ideas, love them. I actually have a very antique wood magnifying glass, never would have thought of that...thank you!
  • Debra
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Bumbleb, thank you for your suggestions. We are considering painting the mantel now, hesitating a little as it is old reclaimed wood which I do love. The corner cabinet I know is all wrong for this but my husband built it for me. It is solid cherry and tiger maple so not something I would want to paint. I might have to move it though...one of those sentimental pieces. We've been debating about the tv on the fireplace. I like the idea of just one large picture on there...I assume it can just sit on the mantle and look ok that way? With a collection of smaller prints on the wall next to it, a large one on the mantle would be great I think. I have two other spots for smaller furniture pieces that I can use. I have an old bow fronted glass/oak curio cabinet that I thought of painting espresso or black, or even silver or gold, not sure yet though if that would work? I'm also debating on bringing in a mahogany/walnut breakfront for where the corner cabinet is, not sure if it would be too much though. I think the pillows you dont like are the ones that were very different in color than I thought they would be. I have since split them up, one on each couch...looks a tad better, think I should have returned those, lol. Thank you again!
  • colleenkittle
    11 years ago
    i am going to get a lot of flack over this. for me...FOR ME...what stops me in my tracks is the stone fireplace. i would take the stone off the wall above the mantle. then, i would be able to see more clearly what i want for that room. a bit of a chore, but not expensive if you do it yourself. i have made changes like this in other homes i have owned (we are in our 5th home) and it makes a world of difference once you make these types of changes. the room will take on a whole new look and it will be easier for you to see what needs to be done. right now that room screams "rock on wall". for me, i want the room to say...notice "say", not scream...say...comfort, color, contemporary, traditional, or, as i do, a mixture of both. i get confused when i have something i have to incorporate. i want a choice. and for me, i would feel hindered by having a fireplace such as this. not only that, but if you live in a subdivision, most of the homes near you will have a similar fireplace. it is fun when you come up with something different or daring. i had neighbors copy our changes and i found it to be so flattering. so, please, before you just toss out my suggestion...consider it. maybe what is really bothering you is trying to work with that wall and you would be better off removing the stone to the mantle or maybe a pictures length above the mantle (3 feet, or so). that would be really different and unique.
  • selenavaz
    11 years ago
    You could change the wall color and it would change the entire effect of the room making it warmer. Also add in some climbers on one of the wall, it will add freshness to the otherwise dark room. Make it interesting with some classic lampshade of some bright color like a red or orange, giving a more character to the living room. Keep it simple overall and do not do much, thats the key to make it look elegant. Good luck.
  • Debra
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    LOL. This house had a very standard and ugly fireplace when we bought it. A few years ago my husband made this one which we happen to love. I am not in a typical subdivision and this fireplace was custom built and I really don't care who else has one like it or not even if they did. This is definitely not an option.
  • Debra
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Selenavaz, thank you but we just recently repainted the room, it is a bit more gray than it looks in the pictures but we love the color. I saw a room here on Houz with this color paint and trim and really liked it. I prefer to use the pop colors in my accessories. I am not sure what you mean about climbers on one of the walls? I showed a pic of the lamps that I have ordered. Thank you for your comments.
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    Debra, a fireplace screen something like this would suit the British Colonial theme. Your current screen has a Craftsman look, so look for curves and formality to bring authenticity to your space.
    Minute Man Minuteman Intl. 3 Panel Belvedere Tubular Steel Fireplace Screen - Bl · More Info
  • Angela
    11 years ago
    Try uploading a picture of your room to ProjectDecor.com and arrange the furniture that way. It's super easy (and fun!) and you can drag & drop items to the room to see how they look.
  • betsyweisberg
    11 years ago
    Living Room & Lanai · More Info

A few key pieces and you have your tropical feel.
  • lizoregon
    11 years ago
    Hi Debra. I've been enjoying this discussion, as I've been working on our rental living room for a year. I can see now that it's got British Colonial undertones going on, and that helps me move forward. I love your coffee table! My husband just talked me into two wooden giraffes to sit on the hearth. They're growing on me, so be brave and get the ones you like.

I will echo a few comments. Although you love your fireplace, it is "bossy" :-) so you will need to take some attention away from it. Your room cries out for color. I think a colorful patterned area rug would be my first purchase, as it will help you choose the colors for a large picture and accessories. Stick with a traditional or transitional design pattern (busy, like Persian) to tie in with your theme. It will distract from the fireplace. I actually found ours at Home Depot since I didn't want to commit to something expensive yet.

It's a large room, so think big! The lamp to the right of the fireplace is too dainty. Large palms and climbing vines would be great. And color. Did I mention color?!
    :-)

Have fun!
  • lizoregon
    11 years ago
    Hi again, Debra. I ran across this picture of a stone fireplace with a light colored mantel in the Tropical section here on Houzz. I'm going to try to get it to show up here, but I'm new at this, so bear with me. :-) Personally, I would wait until you have your room put together to make this decision.
    My Houzz: Cape Cod Style in California · More Info

Liz
  • ikwewe
    11 years ago
    I'm working on a similar plan. My room has walnut wood floor, mantel, ceiling beams and trim, which I want to keep, also a massive stone fireplace. I like water, so am going to paint the walls a very pale aqua, and add some blue and green glass accents to the mantel to start out with. It looks like furniture in creamy tones will work, and I plan to add some tropical motif pillows. I am hoping a little goes far enough to tweak the imagination without costing an arm and a leg.

I was visiting friends recently and they had painted their room a beautiful cool pale aqua. The most eyecatching accent was a large painting of a flying egret in blue and creamy white tones above the cream tone wood front fireplace. The three couches floated around the fireplace were upholstered in a darker aqua or pale teal.
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    During the warm months you could put a lush fern into your firebox.

So many good ideas from so many! Just keep it to a few well chosen things (do love the idea of moving your antique furniture piece in, if you find the spot.). I know that you will do great, it will be elegant but casual!
  • Debra
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you all for your suggestions and the pictures! Wow so many beautiful rooms on this site! Was happy to see some other stone fireplaces although mine is still a bit more rustic. Maybe will paint the mantel to match the trim? Could stain it darker or paint, leaning towards paint. Will check out projectdecor.com, sounds fun! I saw a great deal on a persian type rug on Craigs List, I think it would work. Quality rug for $100, I just might call on it lol. I so agree the room needs more color. To clarify, lamp in room is going or will change shade and use in another spot. My new lamps have been shipped yay! I am enjoying this challenge thanks to you all!! One other question I have is frame colors. I think I've seen both, but would wood frames be preferable and just use glitter in accents, or would metallic look work better to add more elegance? Thank you all, I really appreciate the help!
  • Debra
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    In seeing the rug again I think it is too dark, do you all agree?
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    Although it's a pretty rug, I think the cube pattern will complete with your fireplace stone.
  • Debra
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes, I didnt even think of that..thank you! Shame cause it's a great deal lol.
  • stevieshirley
    11 years ago
    definately try a focal point or painting above the mantle. The tv is in a odd place also.
  • Debra
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The tv is being put on a wall stand higher up that will be moveable, contemplated just having it sit on the mantle but that doesnt thrill me either. I know it's not ideal but we like having a tv in there. I love the idea of a focal point on the mantle.
  • selenavaz
    11 years ago
    Hi Debra, you can add the pop colors and make you room look amazing. Its great to see so many people helping you out with this. Take the best suggestions and good luck with your room. Do post the final look of your room. Will be waiting to see it.
  • Debra
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Selena, hi and thank you and yes I so much appreciate the help. Changing this room had me stumped after 18 yrs of having it one way and wanting something completely different. So I bought the giraffe, so dang cute, from Home Goods made of Burlap. Bought a cute rattanish box for underneath the table to hold my magazines. I am leaning towards a zebra print throw rug for under the coffee table. Most rugs I see that are affordable to me are dark or just overall lighter but not the pop it needs. I never should have bought throw pillows before I knew what I was going to do. Stupid thing to do. Coral would have worked so much better than the pumpkin colored ones..oh well lol. Searched everywhere for a palm, finally found one. A little worried about the light requirements but for $30 figured worth a try. I did move the mahogany breakfront in there, it is on the wall to the left of the fireplace. It looks 'ok' there but I think it would be better on the adjoining wall which backs the dining room. I would have to leave the french door on the side closed at all times. It could open but not enough to open up and lay flat on the wall as the piece would be right there. I'm debating on this because I think I'd like it on that wall better. Any thoughts on that? I'm refilling it with all my crystal (my mom had a ton of crystal and pretty things) but I don't want it to look to stuffy at the same time. So I emptied and moved 4 pieces of furniture last night and now have to put it all back lol. Lamps coming wednesday..yay! Attaching a pic of the breakfront that is very similar to mine, I think the style works.
  • Debra
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Breakfront very similar to mine, mine is more brown, mahogany and burled walnut so doesnt have the real red tones this one seems to have. Similar style though.
  • Debra
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Oh also, if anyone knows a good site to look for wall art, I am having trouble finding prints. Thank you. I have seen beautiful ones but I can't afford $500 for one mantle picture.
  • ikwewe
    11 years ago
    Try o.co
  • Debra
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi again! Posting my progress. Received the Bali lamps, love them! Ordered and received a large heron print from art.com (thks for that link!) and I love it. Husband put it up a tad too high on the fireplace so going to try to lower it. It's tricky hanging it securely on the stone. Bought a really reasonable cute zebra rug for under the cocktail table. Bought a palm but it's still outside lol, and a nice small fern which is inside. My cat kept chewing on it though so had to put it out of her reach lol. Oh I did move my breakfront in there but put it on the wall parallel to the couch on left rather than alongside the fireplace..looks better there. Put the cherry corner hutch in the kitchen. Still have to change the mantel color, will probably go with a darker richer stain. Bought a real pretty live white orchid for the cocktail table...we'll see how long it lives lol, and a couple accessories. It is not done but I'm really liking the style..and the mix of them. I will post a pic soon and thank you all again for giving me the inspiration here to go forward!
  • jmsilva
    11 years ago
    K. Kb i .
  • User
    11 years ago
    Can't wait to see the pictures, sounds incredible.
  • User
    8 years ago
    Over 2 year old post
  • Debra
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I did darken the mantle. I was fairly pleased with how the room came out but have rethought things and think i should have went overall lighter with things and a more beachy look like a few had shown me. I am now considering painting the mantle lol. Also considering painting the furniture and getting duck cloth covers made for the couches. I bought a beautiful zebra rug for under the coffee table. Unfortunately a new puppy had chewed it so it's about to be thrown out lol. I bought a large heron print for the fireplace wall and love that. Thanks again for all the help.

• Debra
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I also actually added this piece and put it next to my spiral stairs. i just love it. Was piling gifts there after wrapping so excuse that mess lol

• oceangirl888
    7 years ago

Looks cozy. I'd find a few euro sham pillows instead of many small ones, in vibrant colors or prints.

• PRO
    Beverly Anderson Interior Design
    6 years ago

I would darken the wall color, but not too dark and remove the throw pillows and add only a few in dark, rich colors

• PRO
    INEX Luxury Fireplaces and Stone Interiors
    6 years ago
    You can work with the colour contrast of Wood, Concrete Grey, Light Grey, and White. Ceiling would go well with Concrete or Grey Stone Cast Fireplace Mantle. Paint the walls light grey and get the modern midcentury furniture. Check out the sample attachment. Also check our profile. We can design the Fireplace for you.
Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!