Software
Houzz Logo Print
alameda_gw

Anyone Ordering Any Different, Little Known Roses This Year?

I am branching out, ordering some little known roses that appealed to me that I havent heard anything about. I may love them or not, but will have fun experimenting and growing them. Is anyone doing the same? Here is part of my list.....I went overboard this year, but dont care. Anyone growing any of these?

Aloha - the apricot Kordes climber not the more common pink

Norwich Castle - apricot

Mme. Creux - creamy apricot

Anne Watkins - apricot

Royal Lavender - mauve climber

Girona - pink blend

Pillow Talk - mauve

Mme. Ravary - lt. apricot

Jean Cote - yellow/apricot

Nicole Mioulane - apricot

Will Henry - sport of Playboy

California Dreamin' - mauve

Cineraire - pink

The Colwyn Rose - mauve

El Dorado - yellow

Silk Hat - pink

Taischa - mauve

Dancing Doll - sib to Renae

Linnea's Rose - white

Pres. Herbert Hoover - pink blend

Raymond Carver - yellow apricot

2 new Paul Bardens: Incantation, Won Fang Ton

Queen Mab

Gravin Michel d'Ursel

Sorority Tea

There are more, but I havent heard these mentioned. It will be fun to see how they grow, what they look like and how they measure up. Sort of like my own rose test panel.

Judith

Comments (34)

  • 18 years ago

    Yes! Viru's Coffee Country, a russet/tan/coral floribunda. And Mystic Beautiy which is related to SDLM-- both from Roses Unlimited. Still on my wish list is an old Kordes climber, Summer Wine. Not rare but DEFINITELY not common. And a newcomer on my wish list, McClinton Tea which is a found rose.

  • 18 years ago

    I've ordered several that I've not heard mentioned (often) as well.

    Gypsy Boy
    Antonia d'Ormois
    Wretham Rose
    Hovyn de Tronchre
    Gravin Michel d'Ursel
    Duchesse de Verneuil
    Blanche Moreau
    Boule de Nanteuil
    Agatha Incarnata
    Amadais
    Plaisenterie
    Velours Episcopal
    Lordly Oberon

    Robert

  • 18 years ago

    Me too, "different and little known" is a quality that appeals to me...I want to put some pictures on those poor empty Photos tabs in HMF.

    Renee Danielle (Wichurana climber)
    Prince de Vaudement (Moss)
    Sorority Tea

    Eric

  • 18 years ago

    Secret Garden Noisette
    Aunt Margy's Rose
    Natchitoches Noisette
    Mc Clinton Tea
    Mrs. Wood's Lavender Pink Noisette
    Huilito
    Carnation
    Ley's Perpetual
    Heideroeslein

    Ingrid

  • 18 years ago

    Now these roses may be well known....but I never hear much about them on these forums so here goes...

    What I purchased and why I selected it:

    Faith Whittlesey-- White Tea, size and performance similar to Duchess de Brabant (whom I love dearly!)

    Borderer-- Compact and practically evergreen in zone 7. Good rebloom. Great for the front of the border.

    Mystic Beauty-- Because I saw this rose at Pat Henry's house and was instantly smitten. Its one of those roses you think about long after you leave. I am getting 2 since this rose is also great in pots.

    Amadeus-- Red climber from Kordes...I hear great things about this rose as far as disease resistance and rebloom.

    Clementina Carboneri-- Because I lost my Niles Cochet (which means I have room for this biggun) and because....its just time I had her!

    Rhonda-- Had this one before and left it when I moved. Just recently purchased a book that had many pics of a mature 'Rhonda'. I want her back. :o)

    France Info-- I have wanted this for some time. Hoping it is good in disease resistance and rebloom...surrrrrre is pretty!

    Thats it....for now...(ahem)....

    Ronda

  • 18 years ago

    Many of my 2007-8 new introductions in the garden are uncommon or very rare Roses, almost for European Countries. But I know that a big part of these Roses are well known in USA (... La Biche, Sousan Louise, Jean Bach Sisley, Duc of York, Le Pactole, White Cécile Brunner, Cels Multiflore, Emmie Gray, Miss Attwood...).

    Rosa cymosa: a wild climbing Rose, related to Banksiae, from Sichuan.
    'Triomphe de la Guillotière': this is a pretty rare, Rosa roxburghii hybrid. Climbing, with big, cupped, full flowers, in shades of pink and a little hint of salmon in the center.
    'Sénégal': another climbing Rose. An old HT, from Charles Mallérin. Almost purple-black, dark crimson medium flowers, in quarters. Very well scented.
    Ley's Perpetual: a climbing Tea-Noisette, similar to 'Maréchal Niel'
    Jenny Wren: an old Floribunda, related to 'Cécile Brunner'. Small urn shaped, ivory flowers, with a hint of blush in their centers.
    Eugène de Beauharnais: listed as a China, but maybe an hybrid Bourbon-China. Crimson-purple flowers, full of petals, strongly scented
    White Jacques Cartier: a white sport of the widely known Portland Rose.
    Alister Clark: an hybrid Gigantea-Polyantha, similar to 'Borderer'
    Lady Plymouth: a Tea, in the 'Lady Hillingdon' style, but the colour is more creamy and the plant is thinier.

    ... ;o)

    Maurizio

  • 18 years ago

    I always order a few that are little known or seldom talked about on this forum. This year not as many since I have no room...

    Comtesse de Rocquigny
    Romaggi Plot Bourbon (another)
    Etoile de Mai
    Marie de St. Jean
    Victor Velidan

    Carol

  • 18 years ago

    Ingrid, Ronda, Maurino--- eeeyay! I want everything on your list! We were enchanted that our new house has a wilderness behind it...but what good is a 330 foot deep lot if it's mostly TREES?? All these beauties you'll be planting I'll have to wait until we retire & move to open acreage. Thanks for the help with my wish list!

  • 18 years ago

    I ordered just a few, really no space left.
    Bellard
    Juliette
    D'aguesseau
    Baby Ballerina (saw it many times at Lori's garden and love it. Resistant too.)

    Olga

  • 18 years ago

    No more room and drought looming:
    Aunt Margy's Rose-3
    Spice
    Souvenir de St. Anne's Because of Carol FM
    Orange Morsdag
    Marie d'Orleans Because of Carol FM
    Chapeau de Napoleon
    Souvenir de Pierre Notting, again Carol's influence
    Basye's Purple, wondering about this choice after reading post on here, oh well.

    Carla

  • 18 years ago

    Most of mine do not classify as unknown, apologies Ronda.

    Carla

  • 18 years ago

    Let's see what I have coming that we'd consider to be unusual or little-known . . .

    Vanguard - hybrid rugosa
    "Mandeville Pink" - found pink rambler
    "Ralph Moore's South African OGR" - bourbon
    Blairii #1 - cl. bourbon
    Alba Odorata - hybrid bracteata
    Atomic White - HT
    Isabella Skinner - climber
    James Bougalt - HP
    Beales' The Bride - HT
    Morning Dawn - climber
    Country Doctor - HT
    Magnifica - hybrid rugosa

    . . . and lots of others. :)

    Is it spring yet?
    Connie

  • 18 years ago

    Please report back how Mme Creux, Taicha, and Victor Velidan do for you. These are all roses that I have lusted over but couldn't find available.
    If they are available right now then I don't want to know! I can't order any more roses when I know I'm going to move soon! Maybe they'll still be available once I'm established.

  • 18 years ago

    In the province of Piacenza most varieties of roses are rare: I mostly see Hybrid Teas, and various modern and popular bush types and small climbers. So everything I buy is unusual, for here. I mostly get old and older varieties, lots of Teas, lots of once-blooming old roses, and I have a great affection for the Hybrid Musks; I also acquire climbers and ramblers of various sorts, half against my will as I never have any place to put them. Like Maurizio, this year I ordered from Schultheis in Germany and Le Roseraie du Désert in France: great minds think alike. At this stage I'm working desperately to get a collection established and get the bones of the garden in place as well; later on I'll begin to refine my selection and go to work on the details.

    Melissa

  • 18 years ago

    I've ordered a couple of winter hardy roses that aren't so often mentioned here: Zeus (the hybrid setigera) and Fruhlingsduft.

  • 18 years ago

    la belle sultane,gloire lyonnaise,etoile de feu,feu joseph looymans,soeur therese,fruhlingsgold,suzanne,edith ballenden,golden chersonase,venusta pendula

  • 18 years ago

    Len, I don't know where you live but I'm betting you're a good bit lower than zone 8! Love your list--(me jealous)

  • 18 years ago

    thank you barbara. but some i have are probably borderline
    i don't think i can grow many trinity roses.lol

  • 18 years ago

    I love looking up all these roses! Will most likely be enabled with several. I have finally gotten Etoile de Feu after many years of waiting, it is growing in a pot now. Does anyone grow it, can you comment on it?
    Judith

  • 18 years ago

    Some of those I ordered are well knownbut most of them wasn't known to me but sounded good enough to try. I will receive these roses from Vintage

    My Choice
    Mme. Butterfly
    "Romaggi Plot Bourbon"
    Comtesse Vandal
    Augustine Guinoisseau
    Cynthia Brooke
    Sleigh Bells
    "Spice"

    Not antiques but not well known moderns are:

    Jessica
    Augute Louise both are Tantau roses from Hortico. Jessika looks healthy and great, Augusta Louise is no way could be considered a grade 1 rose but I hope it will make it. Beside the less than satisfactory number and size of the canes, Hortico chopped the roots so short that my first thought was: well that's one of the reasons why I don't buy roses at Lowe's, HD etc. any more.

  • 18 years ago

    Marie de St Jean (Portland)
    Duchess of Albany (sport of La France)

  • 18 years ago

    I was quite fortunate to pick up both Odee Pink and Sorority Tea, along with France Dubreuil (sp?) at a local rose auction earlier this month. Am keeping them all in large containers for a while since the OGR bed has no room left this year. I already pulled out the (finally) dead Compte de Chambord and replaced it with the shrub-version Cecile Brunner. The Comte spent 5-6 years looking stickly so it was rather a relief when it made a decision.

  • 18 years ago

    Princesse de Vaudemont
    Comtesse de Rocquigny

  • 18 years ago

    Wedding Cake. I'm hoping that Most Unusual Day hangs on because Sequoia was out and they will have no more.

  • 18 years ago

    I don't know how little known these are but they do seem unusual enough....

    City of York (climber)
    Summer Wine (climber)

    Ellen Willmott (HT)
    Mrs. Oakley Fisher (HT, but this one might be more widely grown)
    Vesuvius (HT)
    Smoky (HT)

    I have Orange Morsdag but it is still a tiny baby. At last inspection it is taking the winter well. I'll let you know how it does.

    Bayse's Purple - make sure you give this one a lot of room. It likes to visit the neighbors. Mine does anyway.

  • 18 years ago

    Carol, where did you order Victor Velidan from?

  • 18 years ago

    Alicia, I ordered it from Vintage. Gregg says it is a wonderful Tea that stays "smaller". I suspect that smaller is a relative term for a Tea :-).

    Carol

  • 18 years ago

    Thank you Carol.

  • 18 years ago

    This year my unusual roses are:

    Juliette - medium pink Gallica. This is my first gallica and I picked it because it's my daughter's name.

    Mozart - single hybrid musk that is colored halfway between Ballerina and Marjorie Fair. I picked it instead of either of those because it's supposed to be somewhat fragrant.

    Bubble Bath - light pink double hybrid musk. I picked it because it looks so pretty.

  • 18 years ago

    I don't know what I'll order yet (I order for the fall). Last fall I got 'Rosa bhutan' from Rogue Valley Roses. I don't know much about it yet. It's not a recognized species. It's looked beautiful all winter, lots of anthocyanins: chocolate-red canes, purplish leaves with red edges and a hint of green in the middle. I can't wait to see how it grows. I expect it will green up.

  • 18 years ago

    White Pearl in Red Dragons Mouth
    Bon Silene
    Chesire Red
    Captain Hayward
    Cels Multi Flora

    I bought them from the Sacramento Cemetary and the end of the season sale at Vintage. None of them have bloomed and I am waiting for spring to see what the colors, scent and blooms look like...

    Spring Christmas!

  • 18 years ago

    From my spring orders, the most unusual:

    Errinerung an Brod (rambler)
    Inermis Morletii (rambler)
    Umbra (gallica hybridized by Paul Barden)
    Incantation (small shrub rose, also by Barden)
    Geschwind's Orden (shrub)
    Norland Rose (climber)
    Break o'Day (Brownell HT)
    Andrewsii (spinossisima)
    Alika (gallica)
    Prairie Flower (Buck)
    Sweet Fragrance (Grandiflora by Ping Lim)
    Omphale (gallica)
    Daphne' (gallica)
    Heinrich Karsch (polyantha)

    And for every one of these (plus the other seven I haven't listed because I see them talked about all the time) I must find a rose already in the garden to remove, pot up and give away. No expansion, that's my self-imposed new rule and that will make planting twice the work, I think! Oh well, a good number of these will be small bands that may not go in the ground yet this year. We'll see how they do in pots for a while. :-)

    Anne

  • 3 years ago

    @alameda/zone 8/East Texas How did Raymond Carver grow for you? Which ones performed best for you in Texas?