Software
Houzz Logo Print
rjlinva

Paul's Lemon Pillar

17 years ago

I've got this one coming this week. Does anyone grow it? How is the disease resistance?

Robert

Comments (21)

  • 17 years ago

    Hi Robert, My zone is different than yours but I bet the disease resistance is as good where you are. This is one exceptionally beautiful rose. Though it is a once bloomer I wouldn't be without it. I can't imagine that you wouldn't love it as I do.

  • 17 years ago

    I got PLP this year too. I'm hoping it will be able to handle unadulterated clay so that in a few years I can see it in all beauty! It appears to be uncommon in Italy; I ordered my plant from Germany.

    Melissa

  • 17 years ago

    I enjoy once bloomers as much (or perhaps more) as I enjoy repeaters. It's a rose that looks supremely beautiful, is listed/recommended in many of my rose books, but does not get mentioned on the forum. I hope it will do well for me.

    Robert

  • 17 years ago

    I've seen this rose at Heritage Rosarium and it is very beautiful and very fragrant! I loved it. I don't know about disease resitant because I'm pretty sure Nick sprays his.

  • 17 years ago

    I fell in love with this at a friend's garden. It looks totally disease free and I know he never sprayed his roses.
    {{gwi:235338}}

  • 17 years ago

    What a pretty rose. Robert, let me know how it does for you. I am anxious to see how my once bloomers do this year.

    Carol

  • 17 years ago

    I was really hoping that Nick would report in on this rose. It is the one which is most memorable of my visit to Heritage Rosarium.

    Kathy

  • 17 years ago

    I'll keep you all informed.

    Kathy,

    Do you recall it's growth habit? Is it like a stiff Cl. HT? or does it grow more lax? I'm trying to decide how to use it.

    Thanks.

    Robert

  • 17 years ago

    Stiff and HUGE. If I recall, it extended about 25 feet in both directions. Definitely a rose which makes a statement.

    It is worth a private email to Nick asking him about this rose. Let me know if you need his address.

    Kathy

  • 17 years ago

    Wow...I hope it tries to take over my garden.

  • 17 years ago

    In response to questions that I got from Robert privately, I responded as follows.

    "Yes, I grow Paul's Lemon Pillar. It grows sparingly for me, I'm sure because of the lack (of) high level attention. With that I mean that it grows up to 10 to 12 feet with little pruning - just occasionally every year or so. With me it is not very dense - it never had more than 2 or 3 active canes and is very shy about putting out new ones. It gets some black spot, but I have rarely sprayed it and it seem to be foliated to a reasonable degree particularly on the year's best growth. However, it is interspersed with some canes of Silver Moon which has good BS resistance, so I am not used to looking at it as a stand alone plant. At it's strongest point, I had it spread on some trellis wires about 8' W X 6' H and it grew 3 to 4' higher and a couple of feet wider than this allotted space. However, it was never raucous in its growth and was completely manageable with not a lot of pruning. It is not in the New Dawn Category of being rampant.

    You want it be be vigorous enough and trained to grow up over your head because the blooms nod beautifully. I also like mine because it is situated that at about 11 AM when the sun is getting high and shining from above and through the nodding blooms above your head, you can best see the wonderful lemon coloring of the center of the blooms. However, you also want some of them close enough to push your nose into a bloom to inhale the great lemon/sweet fragrance (truly one of my special ones)."

    Althought it blooms only once, I would not be without this climber, and I will redouble my efforts to grow it better this coming season for myself (I get to enjoy it for a couple of weeks) and those who visit us this spring as well. Best, Nick

  • 17 years ago

    Can I train this rose over an arbor?

    Robert

  • 17 years ago

    Robert - The canes are rather stiff - certainly not like a Barbier rambler. That said I guess it could be coddled/ strapped onto an arbor. The effect of the blooms nodding down would certainly be a big plus. Of course there is the issue of getting sufficient cane management to do justice to the arbor, but that may be more a function of the arbor's size/dimensions as well as managed plant vigor. Unfortunately, I have not kept a close tab on all of these variables with my plant. It just cavorts with Silver Moon and Tausendschon and lately with my monster Francois Juranville which occupies about 70' of fence. I have some concern about the quality of its canopy during that long period when it has no bloom, particularly if you do not intend to spray it. I am not absolutely certain about its BS resistance, but am confident that it is significantly poorer than New Dawn. You may need to clothe the lower parts of the plant with climatis particularly if you practice no spray. It certainly would not compare to an arbor with City of York for example which is every bit as resistant as New Dawn - perhaps even a tad better as well as more dense with sheen than PLP. Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't be without Paul's Lemon Pillar, but luckily I have the space and opportunity to grow it where I can enjoy it for a couple of weeks a year and then it fades from my gardening view until next season when I rave for a week or two. Best, Nick

  • 17 years ago

    Nick,

    Thanks for the comments. I'll find a spot for this rose where it can "disappear" after it blooms. I think I've got a spot in mind.

    Robert

  • 9 years ago

    I'm reviving this old thread because I'm considering buying one. I just re-read Beverly Nichols 'Merry Hall' & he mentions them fondly. Any new thoughts on growing them? I'm in cool coastal W.WA., summers are usually in the low to mid 70's. If BN could grow it in Sussex I'm sure(ish) it would grow here, climate quite similar.

    Jane

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you oldrosarian, it is now on my order for Spring.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    That's a beautiful rose! Which nursery has it? I'd like to try one too. I am also looking for "Adam", I can' t find it......

  • 9 years ago

    HMF lists Greenmantle & Hortico.

  • 9 years ago

    Thanks! Will give Greenmantle a call. I have never ordered from them. I didn't see PLP listed on Hortico's website, they're my go to place for DAs, it would be easier just add on more roses to my spring order. Thanks

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    After 2 years waiting I finally received one! Does yours have "scattered later bloom" like HFM mentioned?