Software
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

Bermuda Roses book

13 years ago

For a quite some time now I have had my eyes out for a copy of the book on the Bermuda mystery roses. It has long been out of print, and the going rate in the used book world is $200+, when you can find it at all. I decided that I did not want it that badly.

Recently I sent a note to the Bermuda Rose Society. There is a several-years-old message on their website that they plan to issue a new edition. I sent a note and got a reply. The new edition is now complete; funds have been authorized to print it; and it ought to be available within a year. I thought I'd share the good news with others who, like me, would like to purchase a copy when it comes on the market.

Rosefolly

This post was edited by rosefolly on Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 11:57

Comments (18)

  • 13 years ago

    WOW! GOOD DETECTIVE WORK! I'll be watching for it.

    Jeri

  • 13 years ago

    Sounds fascinating. Thanks for the heads up.

    Anne

  • 13 years ago

    That is great, have been wanting to get this book!

  • 13 years ago

    Yes, indeed, thanks for the notice.

  • 13 years ago

    Thank you for the leg work. I'm looking forward to it.

  • 13 years ago

    I'm sure the new edition will be great. But this book changes so much with each iteration that if you can find the out-of-print first and second editions, they're still well worth having. I know, for example, that this 3rd edition will be limited to roses in Bermuda (albeit more of them than ever before), but will omit the chapters on their roses' performance in other countries.

  • 13 years ago

    I picked up the first edition in Bermuda years ago - it is a great book! I had no idea it was rare - very interesting.

    Jackie

  • 13 years ago

    That's great news!

  • 13 years ago

    That is a good point, Malcolm. I'm sure older editions will retain their usefulness. If I owned one, I would not discard it in favor of the revised one. There are books I own in two different editions (but then I am even more a book lover than a rose lover). However since the older edition is beyond my reach, I'm delighted that a new one is on its way and will soon be available to me!

    Rosefolly

  • 13 years ago

    sounds cool!!

  • 12 years ago

    The Bermuda Rose Society are pleased to announce the publication of their new book
    ROSES IN BERMUDA Revisted
    Is the updated edition of the book that the Bermuda Rose Society first published in 1984 as "Old Garden Roses in Bermuda" the name was changed to "Roses in Bermuda" published in 1997 both now out of print, The latest edition is "ROSES IN BERMUDA revisited" published & launched September 17th 2013.
    In Bermuda roses bloom continually especially in the months October through May. The purpose of this book is to show you our roses. It is also a useful guide to the roses grown in Bermuda. Our main thrust is Old Garden Roses, especially the Chinas, Teas and our many âÂÂMysteriesâ some of which have been accorded the ultimate accolade of simply being known as âÂÂBermudaâ roses. The Bermuda Rose Society celebrates its 60th year in 2014 as a botanical organization. BRS members have always gathered to share knowledge, expertise and resources where mutual interests exist, and to jointly embrace the mission of the protection, preservation and promotion of heritage rose in Bermuda.

    Please contact Essie Hans ehans@northrock.bm or Marijke Peterich peterich@northrock.bm

    Here is a link that might be useful: Roses in Bermuda website

  • 12 years ago

    Thank you!

  • 12 years ago

    The BRS will be selling copies of the new book at the Heritage Rose Foundation conference in Lakeland, Florida, in November. So for those of you planning to attend, that will be a convenient place to get it without having to ship from Bermuda.

  • 12 years ago

    Malcolm,
    Would it be worth your and their time to take a list of those of us who need a copy to be picked up in Lakeland so they'll know a minimum number to trug over?

    Ann, who needs to be on the currently non-existant list

  • 12 years ago

    Ann, It is my understanding that they're bringing what their luggage weight allowances will permit. They do hope to have an excess, and that book sellers in the US will take the excess (we've already arranged for that possibility). So we'll hope everyone at the meeting who wants one will be able to get one.

  • 12 years ago

    I sent a note inquiring about ordering a book. However I am going to the conference in Lakeland next month so I think I'll just purchase my copy there. Thanks, Malcolm!

    Rosefolly

  • 7 years ago

    I’m donating a copy of the older version of Bermuda Roses to the book sale at Rosalia being held in Sebastopol on Saturday, May 18th. It’s good to have a copy of both. See you there!