abruzzese

HFGH in Canada

abruzzese

Has anyone been able to purchase the 10X12 or the

6X8 greenhouses thru HARBOR FREIGHT or Maxhootie on ebay, from Canada.

Thanks

• hill60

I purchased two 10x12 HFGH last summer. Harbor Freight does not ship their greenhouses to Canada, it has something to do with trucking. I don't know about getting one privately on ebay.

We researched to death different options and still could not come up with a better deal. That included the price of gas, meals, the nasty cost of ferry fees to get off Vancouver Island, and all the extras for building the greenhouse.

Hill60

• joeurda

I take it that you are from Ontario. How far from Syracuse, NY? If you're close enough it might be worth a trip to the Harbor Freight store there. That's where I bought mine last year. I live south of Syracuse though.

Here is a link that might be useful: HFGH ready for Spring

• wyndyacre

There is also a HF near Detroit, if you happen to live the other way near the Windsor or Sarnia, Ontario border crossings.
    I live near Sarnia.

• abruzzese

Thanks for replying. Was there duty and taxes for those of you that had to bring the greenhouses across the border into Canada?
    Thanks Again.

• googoo_dahl

No loss, my aunt had one in Minnesota and it lasted one month. Blew down in late October into a pile of twisted metal and plastic. These greenhouses (if you want to call them a greenhouse) are made for warmer climates. If you live in an area with T-storms or blizzards "forget about it" and save up your money for something decent. They don't sell them in Canada because they won't last. Go figure.

These "coldframes" are made in China buy North American!

• hill60

abruzzese

There wasn't any duty on the greenhouse. We did pay point of sale taxes in the U.S. and GST and PST. I think it depends on your province whether you pay the provincial tax.

My DH followed the advice on this forum on reinforcing the greenhouse plus a little extra. So far this winter we've had multiple snow falls and what is called here on the west coast hurricane force winds. In December we had a snowfall with accumulations of 18" in one day followed by rain. The rain makes that snow very heavy. Within a 24 hour time the snow was gone the crawl space under our house was flooded the greenhouse dry. So far the green house has survived winds, snow loads, and flooding situations. Will it survive the years we have what they call storms of the century probably not.

We are pleased with what we have and I do like playing in the dirt year round when in Canada our seasons do tend to be short.

• joeurda

This one's for GooGoo.

I'm located in the Finger Lakes snow belt region of New York State and have survived snow loads and up to 65 mile/hr winds. There are time when we measure our snow in feet/hour. I did have a panel pop out early on, but that won't happen again as I have screwed them down.

Keep in mind the price of these units. I don't think that they would ever compare to a commercial greenhouse, but for us hobbiest, they sure make it affordable. They do have be be retrofitted with some bracing and panel screws.

Mudhouse is correct in using the term "Modified HFGH".

Take a look at the link below, for some winter shots of my HFGH. This snow was mild compared to some I have had since.

Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: HFGH ready to go