davidlee_gw

HFGH 6x8 . . . $199

davidlee

Hi all, long time lurker here.

Thought some might like to know that HF has a page ad in the March 2010 Better Homes and Gardens that has a coupon for the 6x8 greenhouse for only $199. This is the cheapest I have seen this in a long time. I might have to pick one up! Coupon expires 6.16.10.

There is also a coupon for 20% off any one item.

• colokid

Is that the one with a sliding door?
    The best I can find is 379 down to 349.99

• davidlee

here ya go . . . note that it is an "in-store" only coupon.

Here is a link that might be useful: HFGH 6x8

• colokid

I guess you are sure of the price.
    379/349 down to 199, that's 150 dollars cheaper. Guess I gotta go look for a better homes and garden magazine....when it stops snowing.
    Kenny

• davidlee

yup . . . I'm sure :^)

• colokid

Thanks, found it. Never did doubt you, just could not believe they would do that. Probably won't buy it, but need the 20 percent coupon for later. Maybe the reciprocating saw at half price. Think I will buy the portable GH from GH megastore.
    Kenny

• spogarden

From one long time lurker to another...Thank You!

I tracked down a coupon and stopped by my local Harbor Freight this morning. Yes they had them in stock and the manager at HF knocked off another $40 cause the box had been damaged a bit in freight and one of the panels had a scratch on it. Final cost with tax was $173, now I just need to put it together.
    Any thoughts on foundations? Anyone put these together before? This is gonna create a ton of work for me and I am just tickled about it, never thought I could afford one.

• davidlee

I picked mine up this morning too, but I didn't get any extra taken off like you did, congratulations! You got a great deal.

I've got it all together except the panels. I did get the two windows and half panels below them in, but will get the rest in tomorrow or the next day.

I was really dreading putting it together after all the horror stories I've read on the internet, but I didn't have any trouble at all, other than putting a couple pieces on and having to take them off and turn them around. Just take your time, read the directions, and think about what you're doing. I couldn't be happier!

As for the foundation, I'll probably go with pressure treated 4x6s. I think the extra six inches added to the height will make it a lot roomier inside.

Best advice, search these forums and read up on how others put theirs together. Doing that probably helped me more than anything.

Good Luck!

• colokid

I bought a 6 by 10 portable from greenhouse megastore instead.
    When I was reading all I could find on the HF 6 by 8, they seemed to think it was stronger than HF's bigger one. Only comments were that the panels bowed out in high wind and came loose. Fix was to use self tapping screws through the panel into the cross brace. At least that was what I understood...though it might help you.
    Good luck, KennyP

• spogarden

So are you putting yours all together before you attach it to the foundation? That is how I would like to do it but wasn't quite sure if that was the best approach. I have a good spot cleared, son is coming over tomorrow about the foundation, think 4x6 treated is probably how that will go. It doesn't look too heavy so think I have the man power to move it once it is up.
    I really feel for all of you that have the snow. Last year we got a record 6' that stayed till spring. thankfully this year is just rain so I can put this up and get a head start on things.

• davidlee

yes, I put it together in the carport and plan to move it to its foundation once it is set up. Carport has a good solid and level service. It's probably a little riskier this way, but I think with proper bracing, especially across the bottom, it shouldn't be a problem.

6 feet of snow? I can't imagine!

• peggyneckfarms

I went to buy a home garden mag but first opened it to back and found the coupon. The coupon for the green house is a super saver coupon and price is $199 down from $379. A good price indeed but the other coupon for 20% off one item states on it that it cannot be used with any other coupons including this super saver greenhouse coupon. So if you were able to get the extra 20% off you were lucky.

I bought the 10x12 last month and was able to use a 20% off coupon but that was because greenhouse was on sale for $599 and did not require a supersaver coupon to get the $599 price. It was a general sale price

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus

Hello all, I am not new to the garden web but I am new to this forum. I'm a fig farmer and that is all I grow. I am excited to hear about this coupon and can't wait till tomorrow to get the mag. I built a 6 x 8 greenhouse last summer. I wasn't as lucky as you guys getting a greenhouse for this price; however I am considering buying this greenhouse too. Anyway, I got mine from Sam's on sale for 599. After buying mine, I let it sit outside for about a month before I built it. Why? Well, I'm sorta a perfectionist. I wanted to make sure it was built right. The hardest part building a greenhouse is building the base. After researching the web nightly, I decided to sit mine down on pressure treated 4 x 4s. I had to put 10mil plastic between the greenhouse and the 4 x 4s. Why? Because the chemical in the lumber would eat up the aluminum in the greenhouse. I also laid down 2 layers of weed guard. I secured the base in the ground using rebar and large "U" nails. In the pic below, you can see the gray 5mil tarp that I doubled as a barrier. The date in the pic should say 2009, not 2008. I'll post a pic tomorrow of the finished product with trees inside. I had a wind problem but solved that with liquid nails and rubber cement. thanks Dennis

Here is a link to it before I added all the pavers: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fig/msg0821111813764.html

• safaribabe

The larger one 8x10 is also now $199 off from an add that HF mailed. Hubby saw it yesterday. Puts the large one at $599 I believe.!!!!

• spogarden

Well I have my greenhouse all up and going, just love it, this is my first ever greenhouse. Broke every fingernail I had doing it, had to reassemble the crappy door twice. I know I will be putting auto vents in it, got almost to 100 in there over the weekend, it was only about 55 outside. The guys thought that was great, it was like a sauna. But I don't think the plants will like that.
    Also did I mention the crappy door that is never gonna work. I talked to my son yesterday and he is going to come over and build a wood frame for it, attached to the foundation. I want to screw it on with hinges so it is useable. Has anyone else modified the HFGH doors? Has anyone ever been inside the 6x8 greenhouse and wonder how you were gonna get out cause the door won't open?

• davidlee

That's funny about the door (not really), because a few days after I got my 6x8 GH up, the roller on my door fell apart! I was thinking about putting the door on hinges as well, but won't have time to mess with it for a few days. I'd like to know how yours turns out.

I will say that I am thrilled with the GH! After making many of the modifications suggested by so many on GardenWeb, this little GH is super sturdy. Some of the mods I made are:
    1) I used 2X8s for the foundation and now I don't hit my head going in and out.
    2) I secured the panels with screws and rubber washers.
    3) I sealed the panel ends with aluminum tape.
    4) I used 3/8 peel and stick closed cell insulation around the edges of the panels.
    5) I used the "rope" insulation to stuff the gaps inside.

Now I need shelving! I guess this is going to be an ongoing project for years to come.

• rosebacopa2

say, I am looking for a PORTABLE greenhouse. Can this one be taken down every year or should I forget it..
    Thanks
    Lynn in Minnesota

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)

I guess if you want to go thru the hassle every year you can take it down...whether the time and effort is worth it to you I cannot say.

Dan