Software
Houzz Logo Print
nhp3145

Landscape Plan

14 years ago
I am looking for some help with an overall landscape plan for my back yard... I have seen many wonderful pictures on this site, and am gathering ideas. I just can't seem to figure out how to plan out my lot... Any suggestions on how to start and/or references would be appreciated. We can't afford to hire a landscape architect, and we will have to do work as we can afford it. We just don't want to start throwing things together without a good plan.

The back yard is large, but a really odd shape. I will attach an aerial picture with the measurements of the lot and location of the house. My wife and I would like to incorporate a fish pond and asian garden type landscaping. Right now all we have is a large piece of desert.

The overhead view I numbered with red numbers, 1 is the location of the master bedoom door to the back yard. 2 is the location of the kitchen door to the back yard. 3 is the location that we plan to put in a set of french doors as this is the side with the largest yard exposure and the least amount of wind exposure. (Thinking about a Outdoor Kitchen near #2.)

Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!

Comments (4)

  • PRO
    14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    From your description you want quite a detailed plan for your garden and are prepared to spend quite a lot of money achieving your goals.

    I would recommend that you contact a landscape designer (you may not need an architect) and tell them your criteria, both what you want and what your budget is. Then pay that person to come up with a plan that you will execute yourself. It sounds like you plan to do this yourself?

    Professionals work according to what you need--a plan only, a plan plus labour, a plan plus labour plus supplying the plant material, etc. Planning your garden is like creating a work of art. Some people are good at art and others aren't. If you aren't able to do this yourself, then hiring an expert is the best approach.

    Pictures you've collected on houzz would be very helpful in your discussions with the expert.
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks! So far, the landscape designers that we've talked to work for landscaping companies and they don't want to do any planning unless we commit to a significant amount of work through their company... Not something we are prepared for right now. We will gladly pay a "reasonable" fee for a plan... Thanks for your input...
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I should have specified you need an independent landscape designer. They are much more flexible about the scope of work. Not sure where you live, but there may be a college around you that teaches landscape design and could give you a referral. You might interview new graduates who would love to have the opportunity to create a great plan for you.
  • 14 years ago
    Hi, I am a landscape design student in Colorado looking for any opportunity to practice my skills. If you would be interested in taking some pictures of the property and further discussing your desires with me I would love to establish the beginnings of a landscape plan with you. It might be more helpful to also include a North arrow and a USDA zone in your post to ensure any responses are suitable to your location.

    I would second Cynthia's idea of contacting a local college. For a number of my design classes, we have used existing properties as assignments in class. This way you may get a wide variety of ideas that can be coalesced into your project, and, best of all, at no cost!