Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjinga

I've been hit

rjinga
15 years ago

Not sure how strong the winds were, but woke up this morning to tornado watches and realized that I left 2 window vents open...YOu can imagine my horror...went out to close them to dicover 3 panels out (the 2 by the door and one on the north side. fortunately they were ripped off in tact...One was hanging by a screw at the bottom (the 4th one) which I taped into place. the whole back top panel of the 3 odd shaped pieces were blown out and the metal frame pieces were bent.

Interestingly enough, these were all areas (except the one side piece) that I suspected as being weak...the panels aside each door dont have ANYTHING to attach to at the top...how efficient is that..UGH

Anyway, it appears that the clips and the 3 screws we put onto each side panel helped all but one!!!

From what I can see, the panels are intact and there! so I know we can repair it...and buddy, I'm bringing out the big guns now!! REINFORCEMENTS here I come.

I pray that this weather has not hurt anyone else (or anyone else's GH).

Comments (11)

• ole_dawg
    15 years ago

Looks like OK and MO got hammered. 19 dead. We got rain, but no high winds. I slept thru it all.

1eyedJack and the Dawg

• greenhouser
    15 years ago

Bummer about your GH. We're still getting strong wind but no GH damage so far. I closed the HFGH vents and door before it all started. But I have the smaller one. The Rion does fine in the wind. The panel supports are better designed.

• rjinga
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I managed to get the side panels and the panels on both sides of the doors back into place early this afternoon, before we left for the MIL's. Also discovered today that the middle piece above the door (the 3 that form the pitch) blew out too, and I have yet to find it.

Tonight after we got home, I came back to find one of the side panels had stripped out the tape I used and was hanging by a screw at the bottom, and the front door side panels were loose again too. So in the dark I repaired the back 3 upper pieces, with them out the vents were popping up even with them taped. I was able to straighten out the vertical frame piece (the one the connects together to fit those pieces in) and reattach the bolts/nuts, then I duct taped them to the frame!!! I only wish I could have gotten to the inside area too (big heavy 4 shelve bench in front of that wall)...I would have reinforced more from the inside too. But I think it's going to hold up. Blocking that wind should keep the rest from popping back out again.

UGH...

Well I will tell you this makes me re-think the reinforcement issues...and all the while when building this thing, I was thinking of cosmetic/asthetics...well that's out the door, I'll duct tape the whole darn thing if I need too ;)

The areas that were affected were in my opinion the most poorly designed and I knew this and could easily see this as it was going up...And We INTENDED to put up EMT across the back wall, but didn't get around to it. and the section at the top of the door level those side panels, like I said before, have nothing for the top of the panel to adhere to no clips can fit there, nothing. as soon as the back or side panels blew, those 2 were easy targets.

So I"m thinking, we screwed these all into the frame but why not also glue them into place? I'd even consider some kind of a mitered frame to fit each panel section. That actually might be the easiest (and the best looks wise).

I'm going to explore that and see what can be done. A wood frame to fit on the edge of the entire panel, screwed into the metal frame.....any thoughts on that idea????

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

I'm happy for you there was not any major damage. We were awakened about midnight and again about 2:30 a.m. by the storm sirens at city hall. We had high winds, heavy rains and some small hail. I noticed there had been some water on the greenhouse floor but nothing was harmed.

• squirrellypete
    15 years ago

Sorry about your damage rjinga. Sounds like it could have been alot worse but I know that's not real comforting when you're trying to fix it.

I woke up around 3:00 or so to a deafening wind and our windows rattling. Fortunately no damage here at the house but our local town of Heflin just 3 miles west had quite a bit of damage on at least one street. Apparently a small localized tornado did come through there ripping off some roofs, and toppling trees into homes and cars. It blew over pillars that were support columns for porches on some buildings and downed power lines everywhere before the cell moved East and hit Bowden.

Danielle

• greenhouser
    15 years ago

I tried silicone and when it dried it let go of the polycarb panels. Make sure you get one that STICKS to the polycarb.

• rjinga
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have one positive outcome so far, aside from that when I repair and redo...this bad boy will be deemed a tornado shelter ;)

My doors move easier than they ever have...I guess a little tweaking was in order afterall :)

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

What a marvelous attitude you've taken in this near-disaster.
    We had winds all day yesterday, but not a drop of rain.

Nell

• krayers
    15 years ago

So sorry to hear about your damage. It sounds like you're well on your way to repairs & reinformcements. It was terrible out in NW Tenn. but nothing like what you all experience in GA. I've worried about a tree crashing through ours ever since we got it up. Thankfully, everthing here is O.K.

• bihai
    15 years ago

I am sorry you got damage, but I have to say, it surprises me that your city/county/municipality has no code standards for wind on outbuildings??

Here, we have to build everything that goes into the yard to South Florida wind standards (120 mph minimum). Not that this would ensure a tornado wouldn't take it out, but it makes you feel a little better when the winds are gusting at 30-40 mph during a storm

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

My experience is that we will be frequently revising our plans for the GH.

We have not had wind problems lately, but the thermal mass arrangement had a major failure when the loops of black garden hose that acted as solar collector had structural failure and the bends collapsed. We spent this morning removing the hoses, which can be salvaged to still use for outdoor watering, and repositioning the pump. By cold weather we'll figure out what to use for the heat collection process. Meantime, the pump must circulate all summer to prevent algae building up in the storage barrels.

The few remaining plants are moving outside and the GH will go into 'summer mode' with better air circulation just to prevent excessive heat buildup. I was re-reading some old threads on thermal mass and smiled when I read someone's suggestion that on a cool, rainy summer day (we have few of them, but sometimes we do have a 'cold day in July') the GH is a good place to sit and read. Fun.

Nell