Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mulchie_gw

cordless chainsaw advice needed

mulchie
13 years ago

I'm about to purchase a battery chainsaw and am looking for some good advice. I'm debating between Black & Decker and Ryobi. But that is just because it's easy.

ANY advice, experience etc. Would be useful.

I'm not unrealistic about what this can do. I need basic small branch trimming. Maybe the occassional 5" diameter sapling.

Comments (2)

• javert
    13 years ago

I use a Milwaukee Hackzall for pruning. It is a 12V reciprocating saw, is fairly light weight (about 3 lbs.) and zips through small limbs. Since it uses a blade, there is no chain to adjust, sharpen, or oil. When you bend or break the blade - or it gets dull - pop a new one in and keeping cutting. Plus, it's useful for other purposes. While I highly recommend the Hackzall, there are less-expensive cordless recip saws out there that would probably work for you. I think I paid about $150 for the Hackzall, but it is a quality tool - I believe the warranty is 5 years, but it might be only 3.

I feel like the recip saw is safer to use, as it is much less prone to kick back on you.

• mulchie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. I've been doing a bit of research and I think I'm going to get the Black & Decker 18v. The blade on that Hackzall is just a bit short for my requirements.