Software
Houzz Logo Print
lil_rhody

2 stroke Mantis tiller vs. 4 stroke Mantis

20 years ago

I'm looking at buying a small Mantis cultivator but not sure if the 4 cycle tiller (model 7261, Honda 31cc engine) is better than the 2 cycle (model 7225, I believe Echo engine).

I know there are differences in weight and power. The 2 cycle needs oil and gas mixed while the 4 cycle needs the oil changed every 10 hours of use.

The price difference is $100 higher for the 4 stroke.

Aside from those basic qualities, has anyone had experience w/ either one? Which in your opinion would be more reliable and trouble free?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Comments (19)

  • 20 years ago

    I really like 2-strokes precisely because you don't have to change oil. I've got enough engines that require oil change. The Echo engine is reputed to be reliable, and mine has been just that. There is a screen in the exhaust that will require occasional cleaning (or removal should you be so inclined). I've no experience with the Honda engines; I avoided them because I heard of some problems. IMHO either model will be darn good, though.

  • 20 years ago

    So, you have a 2 stroke Mantis tiller?

  • 20 years ago

    I have a Honda FG100 tiller (with the same 31cc 4-cycle that you mentioned.) It is my favorite engine on any of my power equipment. I have never read of any common problems with the mini 4-cycle Honda engines. Mine is about 5 years old and has been trouble free.

    Back to your question. I also own Echo blowers with 21.2 cc 2-cycle engines. Unless they have changed sources in the last year or so, the 2-cycle engine on the Mantis is an Echo engine. I like the Echo engines that I have also.

    If the price were equal, I would hands-down take the Honda engine. But for $100 more, I would probably lean toward the 2-cycle Echo engine.

  • 20 years ago

    Either engine is a premium piece. I have an Echo trimmer that uses the same engine as the Mantis, have had it several years. No problems at all. I bought a Honda mini-tiller last year, ran the heck out of it, no problems. The oil changes every 10 hours can be a pain, though. I like to mix and go! The Honda does have a nicer sound to it, more a low purr than a loud shriek like the 2 stroker. The Honda is definately more pleasant to use than the Echo as far as sound level and tone.

  • 20 years ago

    I have an Echo trimmer and HOnda minitiller too! Both are excellent products that I am proud to own. The Honda engine is a lot quieter and is much easier to start--almost always on the first pull.

  • 20 years ago

    I have used the Mantis. When I bought one for myself, I did not hesitate to pay the extra for the Honda engine. Starts easier, runs smoother and idles forever with out problems.

  • 20 years ago

    For tillers, where light weight is not necessarily a good thing, I prefer 4-stroke engines over 2 stroke.

    MM

  • 20 years ago

    I just purchased the Mantis with the 4-stroke honda engine last year. The thing is amazing. Quiet and it starts on the first pull every time. It's such a PITA to mix the gasoline for 2 strokes.

  • 20 years ago

    Paul,

    I own the Mantis Tiller, Echo blower, and a Echo string trimmer. I also own a Honda Odyssey, so I am certainly not biased against Honda.

    That being said, the Echo engine is practically bullet proof. It requires very little maintenance.

    I already need to change oil on two cars, two motorcycles, tractor, generator, pressure washer, large rototiller, and snow blower. The last thing I need is to change oil on my string trimmer, blower, and Mantis tiller. They all use the exact same spark plug, filter, and gas/oil mix...easy!

    The particular engine that is used in the Mantis is the basis for almost all of the Echo commercial products.

    I am sure that either engine choice will be decent. The Mantis is great!

  • 18 years ago

    Very useful information as I'm thinking of purchasing one also, Thanks

  • 18 years ago

    luci-grower,

    You may find some helpful information in the thread "what kind of tiller" it is just below this thread at the moment.

  • 18 years ago

    Torque from a 4 stroke would be better for a tiller application.

  • 18 years ago

    Hum, "Torque from a 4 stroke would be better for a tiller application." Can't say I know anything about this but I wonder how, for a given displacement/compression/whatever-makes-torque/hp how an engine that fires every other down stroke can produce more torque than one that fires every down stroke.

  • 18 years ago

    I have been debating between the two for a long time. I came to conclusion that the Mantis has the same proven gear box for years where Honda is new. Also I am using it mainly for de-thatching. The video I post below show how good the Mantis work, I just want to play it safe.

    I just order the Mantis with Honda engine with de-thatcher and aerator tines. Mantis have promotion. $449 for tiller, they kick in the kick stand, edger, free shipping, one year refund. Just can't refuse this. I mainly use it for de-thatching. If you have doubt of how well this little thing work for dethatching, check this out:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU7kUDcOhiU

    I choose Mantis over Honda FG110 because of the promotion and also the gear reduction ratio. Mantis is 42:1 vs Honda 35:1. Higher gear ratio of Mantis meaning the tines turn slower and have better torque. For de-thatching, slower turning should be better for the grass so it won't damage the grass as much. Also higher gear ratio means it won't labor the engine as much.

    I choose the Honda engine because the Echo is rated only at 0.9hp where as the Honda is 1.1hp. 0.9hp for the Echo engine is published by Mantis. Honda GX25 is rated 1.1hp in many documentation. I hate mixing oil. I have HC151 hedge trimmer with the same Echo engine, it is loud and harder to start. I have the Honda HHT31S trimmer and the engine is so quiet, the sound of the trim head spinning is as loud as the motor. You almost can get away without ear plug.( don't even think about it).

    I'll post my experience after I use it. It should be here in a week.

  • 18 years ago

    I have been using the Mantis with Honda engine for dethatching. I LOVE IT!!!!

    It work very well for me. Pull a lot of dead stuff out, it get the job done. The dethatching tine look high quality that can last for years.

    I can't say I like it as a tiller or cultivator as much. It jump too much. It is useless as a cultivator. It just keep jumping. When you cultivate, you alway go in tight space where you have no room to pull backward, it just keep jumping and throw dirt all over the place. I quit using it after 2 minutes as cultivator. As a tiller, it jumps but at least if you till an area, you usually have room to back up and it does not jump as bad when you pull backwards. I like my Poulan front tine tiller a lot better, it is cheaper, stronger too.

    Anyone use Mantis for dethatching?? I have no experience with other dethatcher, I can't compare, but it work very very well for me. Knowing all these, if I were to do it again, I'll still buy it as a dethatcher. I would not buy it as a tiller or cultivator.

  • 18 years ago

    Mantis Tiller 2 Cycle & Mantis 4 Cycle reviews

    Here is a link that might be useful: mantis Tiller 2 cycle & 4 cycle Distributor Page

  • 18 years ago

    1 Year Guarantee Mantis Composter Mantis Tiller

    Here is a link that might be useful: Buy Mantis Twin Composter

  • last year

    I love my mantis tiller!