Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oraylawson

Completed 10x12 HFGH

oraylawson
17 years ago

I have updated my photo album showing the completed greenhouse.

Although not clear in the photos, I ended up using one of the HF vent openers mounted high up on the back wall, with a pully at the bottom of the intake vent, to open and close the vent. This has worked very well allowing me to eliminate the vent motor.

{{gwi:301688}}

I am pleased with the completed greenhouse and still believe it is a great value. I have estimated my final cost to be just under $1,200.00

Here is a link that might be useful: 10' x 12' HFGH

Comments (18)

• laserfan
    17 years ago

oray it's not clear to me if your drawings reflect IDEAS you had or if/how you implemented the reinforcements. Some pics of the base/anchoring you did would be nice.

I was real excited to get one of these but decided it was just too flimsy--recognizing of course that you are now biased in-favor of the unit (!) I wonder if you could comment on your expectations for this thing surviving high winds. I've read some reports of others' being flattened by the first serious storm. Yours does look like it is protected by trees somewhat.

Maybe it can be additionally braced by EMT from lateral forces?

• jimmydo2
    17 years ago

Oray, I was wondering what model of Vent you got and where you got it, that is very similar to how I was hoping to set up. (I was thinking of just hinging a side panel and using a HF Vent opener to actuate it), but I really like the pulley Idea.

LaserFan, I am suer he will probably jump in here, but Gardenerwantabe built one of these GH's and reinforced it last spring, and I saw somewhere on this forum that his survived a windstorm where the winds hit 80 MPH. I do not think his greenhouse got the brunt of those winds, but still, 80 MPH is huricane force

• gardenerwantabe
    17 years ago

They say a picture is worth a thousand words so here is a picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:296576}}

• oraylawson
    Original Author
    17 years ago

laserfan

The drawings were ideas in response to concerns regarding flexing of the base.
    I chose to install rigid foam insulation inside the base and attached composite lumber over the insulation. My reason for doing so had more to do with insulating and protecting the frame where it is in contact with the soil in the planting beds.

The only areas of the greenhouse that were reinforced are along the front and rear walls as well as a center support between the top of the side walls. The detail photos are included in the album (HFGH 10 x 12). Be sure to follow the link when you visit my photo albums. This in addition to the installation of rigid foam insulation on the north side and the attachment of the bench along the south side created a strong structure.
    Placement of the green house does offer protection from the direct force of the wind but the location was chosen for protection from cold winter winds and offers summer shade.

Could it survive huricane force winds. I don't know but having been in the construction industry for approx. 40 years I am confident that any failure is likely to be the result of panels blowing out and wind damage from within. Any greenhouse, regardless of price, that relies on light weight panels, held in place in a similar fashion, will be susceptible to the same damage. The completed frame with the additions I have made is very strong.

• oraylawson
    Original Author
    17 years ago

jimmydo2

I purchased my fan and shutters at International Greenhouse Company. I used the 20" shutters and they fit perfectly between the wall studs.

Here is a link that might be useful: IGC Ventilation

• jimmydo2
    17 years ago

Thank you, that looks perfect

• laserfan
    17 years ago

>Could it survive huricane force winds. I don't know but having been in the construction industry for approx. 40 years...

Well, I'm not looking to withstand hurricane forces, but out here in the TX Hill Country we can get some pretty mean storms.

Thanks oray I will give the HFGH serious consideration. It turns-out I had completely missed the link to your GH detail photos--those are what I needed to see.

I may come-back to ask your advice sometime!

• gardnergal
    17 years ago

Ray,
    I just bought the 10x12 and have some questions about the ventilation system you got. I note the store website says to calculate CFM needed by obtaining volume, that is htxwidthxlength. Why did you choose the package with the 16 inch fan and 20 inch shutters--isn't this overkill? As an aside, I saw on Charley's Greenhouse magazine that they advise obtaining CFM by multiplying volume by 0.75, which makes the requirement even smaller.
    Also, it seems that it is not a problem to install a fan and shutters after the gh is fully assembled--is that preferable to doing it at the time of assembly?
    Thanks,
    Ann

• gardnergal
    17 years ago

Ray,
    I posted this on another thread earlier, but it's so old it will probably get missed. I am wondering about just drilling holes into the base and bolting the base to an existing concrete patio. Except for drainage, this is the best area for me to use. I don't intend to grow anything in the ground; the gh is for my orchid collection.
    Secondly, I noted in your pictures that you have what looks like a water collection/storage system in the blue canisters. Where did you get them, and does this gh allow for runoff collection?
    Thanks again for your reply,
    Ann

• oraylawson
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ann,

For ventilation I am using the 12" fan with 20" shutters. I chose the 20" shutters to allow more air flow for the roof vents. Mine were installed after completion of the greenhouse.

You could attach directly to the concrete and drill drainage holes through the base. Keeping the floor clean to prevent slips could be a problem.

The plastic drums were purchased locally for $12.00 each and were originally used for vanilla flavoring.

The greenhouse does have gutters to collect the runoff and you could direct the water into containers, but the roof area is small and may not be worth the effort. I am collecting water from my home gutters and have storage capacity of approx. 800 gals.

Hope this helps!
    Ray

• gardnergal
    17 years ago

Thanks, Ray. It's great to have your input. I've been pouring over the threads from this year: the modifications, the changes to the manual, etc. It looks like my manual was revised in May(maybe they were listening, too), so I may not have to make all the changes, but I know where to look if the installation is problematic.
    Ann

• halinva
    17 years ago

Hi all. I'm a newbie here having just discovered this forum last week. (About one month after I had purchased and put together a 10x12 HFGH). I don't worry too much about stability since I mounted the GH on treated 4x4's each of which have two 36" rebars going through them and into the ground; however, we had a sudden storm yesterday with 40 to 50 mph gusts which successfully resulted in ten panels seperating themselves from the GH walls and ceiling. I managed to retrieve them all, (I think) but now
    must engineer a solution which will prevent the panels from flying off in the first place.

Any suggestions? Are sheet metal screws adequate for winds of from 40 to 50 mph? Tape? A different kind of clip?

I would really appreciate some help here.

Thanks, halinva

• oraylawson
    Original Author
    17 years ago

halinva,

Installing a screw at the center of each panel, top and bottom, and sealing all panels with compatible silicone caulking should hold them in place.
    You will also need to make sure that the roof vents and doors are closed and secured to prevent wind from entering the greenhouse and blowing the panels out from the inside.

Ray

• halinva
    17 years ago

Thanks, Ray.

After I stated my above problem, I discovered the "Search" feature on this forum. It was very helpful and included your suggestion about screws and caulking. I will proceed along those lines.

I can see now, I'll be getting a lot of excellent info from this forum.

Thanks again. Hal

• gardnergal
    17 years ago

Ray,
    I still have questions on the shutters. I looked at your pix and it looks like there is only one 20-inch shutter on the back wall, with the fan over the door(on opposite wall). Somehow I had the impression from your earlier posts that there were two shutters...please clarify.
    Also, did you make any mods to include any screening on the intake shutters or vents, or would that impede the air exchange? I am concerned about bugs, but maybe with the door as it is, they will just walk in.
    Ann

• oraylawson
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ann,

You are correct there is one 20" shutter installed in the back wall. I did not install any screens. I am using automatic vent openers and it would be difficult to use screens with them.

Ray

• colour
    13 years ago

Dear Ray,

Thank you for your very helpful postings and recommendations.
    I missed the part about how you chose to attach the greenhouse to the earth.
    Can you share that?

Paul

• Annuschka
    10 years ago

Just wondered what your water barrels are standing on?

I plan to put mine (steel drums) on 7mm gravel /crushed rock -- alternative was to let them stand on the bare concrete floor. I considered wooden beams but thought the wood would rot in the end. What do you reckon?

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus