southerndirt_gw

HFGH 10'x12'

southerndirt

Well I joined the ranks and ordered a 10'x12' HFGH. I had done my time and read every post I could find on the subject. Which might have been a mistake! The greenhouse was delivered in less than a week. No metal cage around the box and the box looked as if it needed one, truckers were not kind to the box. However, everything inside was in good shape. All parts accounted for. Loving hubby, who happens to be a contractor, along with my 14 year old son, decided to tackle the project this past Saturday. I offered help by sorting out the number pieces and reading the instructions. Several parts got tossed a few yards (out of anger)prior to being picked back up and installed, due to the total lack of necessary instructions... not on my part but HF. It seemed to be a doomed project as each piece was installed. But by the time the roof supports were added, it was looking better. Main frame did get finished, no panels installed yet, and a nod of approval on stability. See, the wife was right all along and this is a Good Thing!

• gardenerwantabe

Welcome to the club.
    while the panel's are out the wind can blow through it.
    Before you put the panel's on do the mods to the framing that way you can enjoy it for years to come.
    Too many thought it did not need the extra strength and it was not long before they lost their GH to a storm.

• mudhouse_gw

Reading all those HFGH posts takes a long time, but it's sure worth it. There's a lot of really good advice here about making modifications for strength.

That HF manual is something else, isn't it? :-)

Congratulations on your new greenhouse! I hope you'll post pics here along with the rest of us.

• the_garden_faery

I bought a 10x12 HFGH. It was sitting in my garage for more than a year. Finally started to set it up, and called HF to ask about anchoring the base down, which led me to this website. After reading all the posts about this GH, I was ready to set it by the road and put a "FREE" sign on it. Husband talked me into setting it up. We got it up(on the 4x4's)and after re-doing a few parts(thanks to the HF directions) it was up in about 10 hours(except for the poly panels) I started doing those yesterday, when I realized that I remembered reading about how the panels had to have foil tape or caulking on the top, and vent tape at the bottom. I took the ones off that I had put on and brought all the panels in the house. They all had moisture in them, from laying on the grass. I ordered the caulk and tape at Growers Supply. Now I am wondering about the flimsy clips. I read that people were getting better ones from Charleys. I went to order some from there and they look the same as the ones that came with the GH. Are they a bigger gauge of wire? I would like to order some soon, but not sure if these are the ones ? Will Someone please let me know. Thanks

• gardenerwantabe

The ones from Charlie's are made from heavy wire.
    You can also bend the HF clips and increase the tension on them.
    Be sure to put screws in the panels or they will blow off.

• southerndirt

The vent windows got installed yesterday on my new greenhouse. I hope to finish putting the foil tape on the top of each panel and get the majority of them installed today. Since I am in South Alabama, I actually placed mine where it will be fairly shady in the summer but once the leaves fall from the oaks, get a good bit of sun during the winter. I will be installing a heater for the winter (which last about 2 weeks here). That is my main need for the GH is to protect my gorgeous Southern Front Porch Ferns!!!

• mudhouse_gw

the_garden_faery, I completely agree with gardenerwantabe, be sure to add screws to those panels so they will withstand winds. It's easy to do. If it's helpful, I've been keeping a blog of our adventures building our HFGH, and it shows how we did the screws, too. Adding the panels to our HFGH

I tried to order additional clips (to use with the ones that came in the kit) but Charley's was backordered for a month. So I ordered 130 more clips from Harbor Freight (call the toll free number, they're not offered on the website.) They shipped immediately, and they worked out fine.

southerndirt, sounds good! Ah, there's nothing like a big old porch lined with huge ferns. :-)

• greenhouser

The ones from Charlies are heavier than the ones that come with the HFGH. I bought a bag to put extras on all the panels on my 6 X 8 HFGH.

• pcan-z9

Let me 3d that. Don't just depend on clips, screw those babies down. I know a guy here with a panel that blew off and it's STILL stuck in the top of a pine tree!!!

• ole_dawg

Be happy it is not stuck thru it. I have a nice photo taken after hurricane Andrew that shows a 2 x 4 blown right thru a palm tree trunk. Just like a thread thru a needle. impressive to say the least

1eyedJack and the Dawg

• southerndirt

One door complete, that was not too bad at all and I done it all by myself!! A few panels are also installed. Does anyone have a easy way to put those darn clips in? Mine must be super heavy duty because they are stiff! People keep posting about ordering the heavier ones from Charlie's but I don't know how they stand a heavier one. Unless I'm a total nut and don't know the right way to put them in.

• southerndirt

• greenhouser

I used the end of a screwdriver to push the end of the pin under the aluminum edge.

• southerndirt

Thanks greenhouser. I figured out how to put one end under the edge and then use another clip to pop the other end into the groove. Fingers are sore but they are snug. I ran weatherstipping in the groove all the way around before putting in the panels. I do plan on coming back with a screw or two also.

Third-Generation Family-Owned Masonry Supplier in Virginia