davidlee_gw

hfgh 10x12 sale 599

davidlee

Hi folks,

I'm a lurker, but thought yall might like to know that Harbor Freight (website) has their 10x12 greenhouse on sale for $599 !!!

I want one !!! Why did I do my Christmas shopping so early? I might just have to go ahead and get it anyway.

• googoo_dahl

Sooooo What! Big deal on a piece of garbage. Again this is nothing but a forum for Made In China harbor freight greenhouses/

Give us a break webmaster and get rid of those obnoxious pop up ads. Good grief

• rosepedal

Merry christmas googoo dahl.... It sounds like you need a hug or a nap......Barb

• funnylady

Don't care what you say about them .
    They are great for the money.
    I have 2 10X 12 hooked together and love them. Also have 6X8 but was not tall enough for what I wanted. Also have a Julian gh that cost much more and not that much better.
    So in my opion they are great. And a lot of other people feel the same way.

• davidlee

Interesting how you find so many different personality types on internet forums, isn't it?

"One man's trash is often another man's treasure" . . . especially when you compare those who have plenty of money and those who don't!

• gardenerwantabe

Well he is entitled to his opinion but you know what they say about opinions.

• davidlee

"Well he is entitled to his opinion "

Absolutely, Yes he is!

"but you know what they say about opinions"

Yep, I do!

• greenhouser

davidlee z7 /

I say go for it! I have the 6X8 HFGH and love it! :)

• mudhouse_gw

My greenhouse came from China, but after filling it with benches using California redwood, thermostats made in Utah, plants from the US, Africa, South America, and Saudia Arabia, a countertop using scraps of tiles from Italy and Mexico, and using advice from good forum friends in several countries, I see it as a shining example of what can happen when nations work together! Our greenhouses are ultimately much more than their country of origin. ;-)

davidlee, if you aren't on the Harbor Freight mailing list to get flyers (with discount coupons) in the mail, you might check eBay for a Harbor Freight coupon to apply on top of the sale price...
    Sheri

• rockytop3500

I have 2 and had to do a lot of work to keep them from blowing away, but for the money there ok.

• pushindirt

I have a friend who has one. He's had to do MANY mods on it to keep it from blowing away. Yes, they're pure junk but it's a matter of getting what you pay for. Some people can't afford a big expensive greenhouse. So for a quick, cheap solution, they're okay. It's the difference between a Geo metro and a Cadillac.

• gardenerwantabe

It's the difference between a Geo metro and a Cadillac.

With the right modifications a Geo can be made to perform better than a Cadillac.

With $100.00 in material and a little work you can make the HFGH perform like a $3000.00 GH.

Is it for everyone??? NO some want everything done for them
    For those who can do things for themselves rat.her than depend on someone else doing it for them the HFGH is an outstanding bargain.
    All the plants that I grow don't seem to mind that they are in a cheap GH they are very happy in it.

• pushindirt

gardenwantabe, I agree. With mods it is better. But not better than a $3000 one. I built mine for $2200. It's dbl pane, cedar, cement foundation, Swinging doors. I can swing from the ceiling at ANY point in the trusses.
    There's no way you can mod a HFGH that much. I've ssen them both. It ain't happening.
    But, I do agree. it's a good little greenhouse for the money.
    BTW, I'd like to run the numbers on making a Geo perform like a Cadillac. I'd say that ain't happening either.
    Dave

• gardenerwantabe

Dave
    Well then you won't believe that I modified my Corvette to run 264mph either.
    Henry Ford once said if you believe you can then you probably can and those who believe they can't are right they can't.

• pushindirt

Modifying a corvette to go faster, is not the same. So, it goes faster. If you could make a GEO go as fast as a Cadillac, So.. It would just be a fast Geo. It would not have the comfort, the extras, the conveniences of a Caddy. That's all I'm saying. I'm not putting down your HFGH. Not by a long shot so please don't misunderstand.
    Dave

• bruce_wholesale

i just got a 10' x 12 ' and it is a real struggle to put together. any one in the Washington D.C. area that can offer assistance?

• bruce_wholesale

i need good photos of the rear interior wall. i 'll take any photos

• mudhouse_gw

Hi Bruce,
    My husband and I put ours up in August, and I built a blog to document the spots that gave us a hard time. That rear brace on the back wall is very annoying, and if that's the part giving you trouble, I hope my photos will help.

Here's a link to my blog with photos.
    Building our HFGH 10x12
    If anything is unclear, please feel free to post back...there are a lot of good folks here who are very helpful, and I'll bet we can talk you through it.
    Sheri

• mudhouse_gw

And here are some links to the photos of other people who were kind enough to share them here. I would have been lost without the help of these folks, and others!

GardenerwantabeÂs photos
    LaserfanÂs photos
    OraylawsonÂs photos
    TroyKDÂs notes and photos

Hope this helps...

• skyebleu

I bought mine on New Year's Day with a 15% coupon which got the price to 509.00. My husband and I have been studying the excellent blog mudhouse has written. We hope to start putting it up this spring. Right now we are going to go through the box to make sure all the parts are there. We plan on modifying it as mudhouse did and others. Right now, we are having 40mph or more gusts of wind and pouring rain again...

• rosepedal

HI Skyeblue,
    Congrats on your new gh. We also followed mudhouse's blog. It helped alot. It was easy to follow. There are others that also have great advice. I would definately check your parts. It took us months to get door parts that were missing.... Good luck and congrats. Barb

• mudhouse_gw

Skyeblue, that weather sounds nasty. Hope it calms down soon! Congratulations on the greenhouse, and I hope the blog helps. Mainly it's a gathering of all the good info shared in this forum by many, many folks. I hope you'll post here with any questions and photos of your greenhouse...this is a really nice group of people. Be sure to check some of the other links for photos I've listed above too...it's really helpful to see how everyone has tackled the modifications differently.

Barb is right about checking the parts...there are some scary stories here about people waiting for a long time to get missing parts. Barb was very patient, I would have thrown a wall-eyed fit! :-)
    Sheri

• rootdiggernc

Love mine and glad to have it, but I won't ever buy another HF. For what we've spent in parts, extra materials and labor, ours (time is money) and a friends we could have bought or stick built a better one. I don't regret getting this one but be prepared for a lot more effort and additional cost than you think.

• mudhouse_gw

I would happily buy another Harbor Freight, but I was lucky to find this forum before we bought ours, so I pretty much knew what to expect in terms of time and labor. People probably shouldn't buy a Harbor Freight greenhouse and assume the purchase price represents the bulk of their expenses to get to a fully functional greenhouse. (However, I suspect thatÂs true of any greenhouse...the kit is just the start, and the interior niceties can really add up, depending on how crazy you decide to get.)

If it helps anyone, IÂve finally got my receipts together. HereÂs a breakdown of our additional expenses for modifying and erecting the greenhouse:

4x6 and 4x4 pressure treated wood, rebar, bolts for foundation $155
    Cedar boards and Styrofoam insulation for base interior $32
    EMT braces, screws for panels, various extra bolts and wood screws $59
    Sill insulation, caulk, aluminum tape for panels, weatherstripping $69
    Extra panel clips from Harbor Freight $22

So, the grand total for extra materials for us was about $337. Add this to my purchase price for the kit ($545 including tax) and IÂm up to $883 for the completed empty structure. IÂm sure others end up with slightly different numbers, depending on how they did the foundation and modifications.

Of course, we didnÂt stop there, noooooo! After we added gravel and paver flooring, foam insulation for the north wall, nice slatted wooden benches, wire shelving, electrical outlets, running water, a stainless sink, a hose faucet, a mosaic potting bench, a 16" 3-speed exhaust fan, two 1500w heaters, three thermostats, Aluminet shadecloth and removable Aluminet screen panels, remote thermometers, and two fans for HAF, IÂm somewhere around $1840. (Admittedly, some of the choices we made were a bit on the fancy side, as you can see in my blog. But boy, have we had fun.) ;-)

I canÂt say if itÂs the best value on the market or not (secretly, I still suspect it is.) I know itÂs been a great value for me. The great thing about these forums is people can read these posts and see varying opinions, and then decide which path is best for them, so I thought IÂd toss some numbers up here in case theyÂre helpful.

• gardenerwantabe

The interior can cost more than the greenhouse but remember a $ 3000.00 GH will need heaters fans thermostat exhaust fans also.
    Link shows the control panel for my HFGH

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:298299}}