Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ayimera

Experience w/ Black Diamond Crape?

ked1985
9 years ago

Hi! I'm very excited as I just purchased a black diamond crape myrtle (red) from Plant Me Green. I've never ordered a plant online before, and they seemed to have good reviews.

Does anyone have experience with these black CMs? Any tips to keep them healthy and growing? This is also the first tree I'll be planting, so a new experience all around! I'll be putting it in a spot that has ok drainage (if there is *a lot* of rain it will sometimes get standing water, but not for too long) and sun from around 10-3 in the summer.

Comments (3)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

see link on how to do it ...

i am not sure i would recommend you do it in july/august ... based on your experience level ... but if you do.. follow the link instructions ...

upon arrival.. get it out of the box.. and into full shade for a few days... to get over transport shock ...

and then harden it off to sun.. since you have little clue how it was grown at the growers... such as in a greenhouse ... which means.. its not ready for full sun ...

i am also curious how big it is.. i wouldnt throw a babe out to fend for itself.. and i might up pot it.. and grow some roots until fall planting time..

you sound very excited.. and i want you to succeed.. but understand... most of us did this in early spring.. or early fall .. this is not the best time to do it.. but that is for next time ...

proper watering.. covered at the link... will be the key to success ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• User
    9 years ago

ayimera,
    Ken is right. When you get it, put it outside in the shade for a couple days, water well, and go buy yourself some mulch.
    After you get it used to the sun, a little bit more each day, so it doesn't burn, dig a nice big hole with a shovel and take it out of its pot, plant it so the top part is above the soil.
    yea, above the soil, mound it up. Put alot of the soil you dug up around the top of the tree.
    Drainage is very important, make sure its mounded up a little, plenty of soil all around the roots.
    Then get your hose and really water it. Gradually you will see the soil settle, check it to make sure there is soil around the base of the little tree, and wait a little bit.
    Go out and water it again, and after this watering, mulch it up real good.
    Two to three inches of mulch all around the base of the tree.
    NOT up to the trunk, but all around the tree.
    Water the tree every day for a week.
    At the end of a week, gradually stop watering it as much,
    because its so hot, keep an eye on it.
    No fertilizer.
    It'll be fine if you water it real good. At least a couple times a week if it doesn't rain, til fall.
    Don't worry about it, it's a crape myrtle, it should be fine even if you plant it in summer.
    Congrats!

• aquilachrysaetos
    9 years ago

Black diamond is on my wish list. I will wait for it to show up in the big box stores so I can pick and choose which one I want.