Software
Houzz Logo Print
lclark21324

Bur oak getting second flush

last month
last modified: last month

My bur oak grew only moderately this spring after growing a lot last year, which made me sad. But it‘s now putting out a second flush on almost all branches! It is its first non hail damaged -induced second flush ever.

Comments (23)

  • last month

    What? No pictures?

    Congratulations anyways! 😉

    L Clark (zone 4 WY) thanked BillMN-z4a
  • last month

    It won’t let me post a pic!! ugh


  • last month

    Try now. It doesn't always work unless you put pix in a new comment.

  • last month

    I'd assume then that you've had some rain in your high-desert spot? :)

  • last month

    Here's mine this morning.

    First flush, it put on about a foot up high and 8-10" on the side branches.

    Second flush, is still going but so far, 16" on the high leaders and about a foot or so on side branches. Go Quercus m. Go! 🤣


  • last month



  • last month
    last modified: last month

    Not much rain, just the same amount of irrigation as any other year. The difference this year is it has been HOT. they say “hottest year on record”. Probably indeed warmest of my lifetime.

  • last month

    The heat does make a difference.

    Even trees here, that haven't been babied and were on the dry side, pushed some new growth, albeit a mere inch or so, when the 90's were common for the last few weeks.

    L Clark (zone 4 WY) thanked BillMN-z4a
  • last month
    last modified: last month

    Any acorns?

    PS: My acorns are few. The tree must've put all its energy into growth.

    L Clark (zone 4 WY) thanked BillMN-z4a
  • last month
    last modified: last month

    Nice!


    The acorns are always tiny. much smaller than pictures I’ve seen. But what does grow by summer’s end always gets eaten quickly

  • last month
    last modified: last month

    Here is it in full. Was waiting for it to reach out to its maxium . I think it has. It’s starting to actually look like a real tree after 9 years. 😂 That’s one of my sons in the photo


  • last month

    Nice kid and nice paper(?) birch there.

    L Clark (zone 4 WY) thanked bengz6westmd
  • last month
    last modified: last month

    Thanks , Ben. that’s john. He actually won the state wrestling championship for 9/10 y/o this year. And those are two cut leaf silver birch.

    Also, Ben, my kids are obsessed with that Seals and Croft hummingbird song. A few weeks ago we saw one and I played it. They listen to and sing it all the time now! The first time I heard it was on here when you posted it! ha ha

  • last month

    Nice tree, appears larger than mine. :-)

    L Clark (zone 4 WY) thanked BillMN-z4a
  • last month
    last modified: last month

    L Clark, Seals and Croft have a number of hit songs. Summer breeze is a very good one -- first link is live.

    https://youtu.be/1KnK3z6DKaI

    Then the studio/radio version w/flutes & electric guitar.

    https://youtu.be/GQQbjpomexo

    L Clark (zone 4 WY) thanked bengz6westmd
  • 16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

    Biggest acorn yet! Could I grow this?


  • 16 days ago

    If something doesn't eat it first.

    You have to leave it fully ripen until the stage that it would drop off the tree.

    Then put it in a pot of soil and protect it from varmints.

    I did a bicolor last year.

    I placed the pot in the ground and piled mulch on it, near the house.

    Next season it sprouted.

    L Clark (zone 4 WY) thanked BillMN-z4a
  • 15 days ago

    TBH, those leaves appear to be Quercus lyrata (overcup oak).

    But we'd need a better photo of mature leaf in good shape.

  • 15 days ago

    Is overcup oak hardy in zone 3/4?

  • 15 days ago

    L Clark,

    I'm not sure exactly where you live but looking at the Wyoming map, unless you're north of Laramie, or way West, the updated USDA map of 2023 show very little zone 3 anymore. There's a lot more zone 4b, 5a and 5b than there used to be.


  • 14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

    Could be bur x overcup oak. I agree the leaves don't look like usual bur oak. I've got 2 oaks of questionable heritage, one a supposed swamp white x bur that looks like a pure swamp white, and a supposed pure shumard oak that looks like a hybrid w/some other oak.

  • 14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

    I'm not 100% sure about mine either.

    I live in an area where it could be a natural cross and it doesn't quite look like a pure bur oak that I've seen around here. But it's a variety of white oak and that was my goal back then. ;-)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert