Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phylrae

Henri Matisse or Scentimental?

phylrae
15 years ago

I am limiting my online purchases to either Roses Unlimited or Pickering or Palatine. I REALLY want a beautiful striped rose that I can cut and it not fall apart or quill.

I have Oranges & Lemons and it is garish.

I HAD George Burns and Anvil Sparks. Gave both away...can't even remember why I gave GB away, but AS shattered almost as soon as it opened, like many Austins.

Anyway, the above nurseries offer Scentimental and Henri Matisse (RU). I WISH they offered Camille Pisarro or some other Delbards. Alfred Sisley looked almost as garish as Oranges & Lemons to me. And of course, Rockin' Robin-looks great, but is it good for bouquets (stems don't have to be that long)?

Thanks!

:0) Phyl

Comments (15)

• momcat51
    15 years ago

I have just ordered Scentimental, so can't address that. However, I have Red Intuition, and it is quite lovely. Seems to hold up very well both on the bush and in the vase. Not a great deal of fragrance, though.

• mgleason56
    15 years ago

Did you see Rainbow Niagra on the Palatines site?

• Noni Morrison
    15 years ago

Scentimental shatters very badly. Too bad because I think it is beautiful. I would recommend "Marvelle", a Freelander rose from Palatine. IT is soft orange and yellow but never garish. As it fades the color remains pleasing. I have been told it is the same rose as Tropical Sunset, and it does look the same but my bush of Marvelle from Palatine is far nicer then my Tropical SUnset from J and P.

• moodyblue
    15 years ago

I am going to get rid of my Scentimental one of these days. Blooms rarely as full as I would like and shatter sooooo quickly. Very disappointing to me. Also the fragrance is not strong enough to my nose.

Sorry I do not know Henri Matisse. I do like Ferdinant Picard, my only other stripe. Unfortunately the last one I purchased from Pickering has mosaic virous.

Hopefully people like Beth and I think Kathy who grow lots of them will chime in.

Good Luck!......I am interested too!

Pauline - Vancouver Island

• Terry Crawford
    15 years ago

I planted Henri this May as a band from Amity. It is still small but so far I haven't seen much striping yet when he blooms; they are pretty much dark red. Perhaps the striping will improve with age.

Have you considered Camille Pisarro? I planted this band at the time time as Henri, and Camille has proven herself to be a very vigorous grower. The striped blooms are yellow/pink/red and last and last on the plant. I also bought Camille from Amity and they are both own-root roses.
    I also haven't had any problems with BS; another great plus for both of these roses.

• amberroses
    15 years ago

I have scentimental. The petals are very delicate, so it is not the best cut flower. It is a beautiful flower and smells wonderful, so I would get it anyway if I were you.

• mexicanhat
    15 years ago

I grow Alfred Sisley and he is not garish to my eye. The colors are fairly muted. He is a good grower and bloomer in my garden, but I am not sure about his cut flower qualities. I have been pleasantly suprised with AS.

For anyone that likes to grow roses from seeds, he also sets a beautiful crop of hips!

• caffiopeia
    15 years ago

Scentimental does well for me in SoCal. It is not a cut flower.

My Alfred Sisley gets a lot of sun and is not garish... unfortunately for me since I enjoy garish.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    15 years ago

I have 2 Scentimentals. Whenever I include Scentimental in my rose arrangements, no matter what spectacular exhibition roses I have in there, people migrate to the Scentimental. If a question is asked about the names, it's Scentimental. So I grow it. It is a lovely, fragrant, interesting bloom, which reminds me of peppermint candy. Spring and fall are the best times for blooms. The summer heat will literally "fry" the bloom. Scentimental is the first to die in an arrangement. Last year at the end of the season, I had 3 Scentimentals in a vase that lasted almost 2 weeks! This probably will never happen again. But the key is cooler temps!

• kstrong
    15 years ago

I grow both, and would highly recommend Henri Matisse of the two. He's a strong grower and in Europe is a florist rose. So, good cutting too.

Scentimental on the other hand shatters the moment you disconnect the stem from the bush. I stopped cutting mine for vases because all they do is make a mess below the vase.

Another good stripe for cutting would be Cabana (which is readily available at garden centers most years). And even though its a climber, I also like Berries N Cream for cutting big sprays.

• suzyr
    15 years ago

Sentimental is beautiful! I have never tried it as cut flower, Papageno is another good one.
    SuzyQ

• phylrae
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mgleason, thanks for recommending Rainbow Niagara. :0)
    Lizalily, yes, Marvelle looks great!
    Momcat51, I would love to grow Red Intuition, but remember having a hard time finding a place to buy it.
    Pauline & Amberroses, thanks for letting me know about Scentimental shattering. I FEEL shattered when any of my roses does this. :0(
    Terryjean, I'll look into getting Henri Matisse. Camille Pisarro looks wonderful, but not sure if I want to do a separate order with Amity. Will see-thanks for telling me about it though.
    Mexicanhat & Caffiopei-thanks for the info on Alfred Sisley-maybe I'll look into it yet, if it isn't garish.
    Kentuckyrose-wow, nice to know you enjoy Scentimental in bouquets!
    Kstrong-thank you for the recommendations...I've considered Cabana and Berries 'n Cream in the past. In fact, I think a book I have by California rosarian Rayford Redell shows B & C as one of his fav roses in bouquets.
    SuzyQ-love pics I've seen of Papageno. Do you have it (if so, where did you get it?)
    Thanks so much, everyone!
    :0) Phyl

• Terry Crawford
    15 years ago

Phyl - I have Cabana also and it is one of my absolute favorites! I planted it as a J&P milk carton and is always covered in huge striped blooms of pink and white. I adore Cabana so much that I'm going to SP 3 pink Fairies that are in front of my white picket fence in front of my house and replace them with Cabanas.

My Berries & Cream is just a baby this year; it has soft pink blooms and not very pronounced striping but it's still very young. I planted it next to CandyLand. I hope the two will be an interesting combo of stripes.

Good luck on your decision, Phyl :)
    -terry

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    15 years ago

Gave my Scentimental away last winter--shatters even before you can pick it, hates the heat (easily fries), and isn't that floriferous. Sure is pretty, however--but I don't really miss it.

Kate

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

I found this old post doing a web search while still looking for striped roses. Since it has lots of info, I am bumping it up.

If anyone posting on this thread has updates, please add on. Thanks!