Software
Houzz Logo Print
rhizo_1

What's blooming in your neighborhood?

Our Osmanthus fragrans (Tea Olive) is covered up with those tiny white flowers....sooooo fragrant. It blooms off and on again all year round, this year more than ever due to the mild temperatures.

Comments (32)

  • 14 years ago

    Everything's blooming around here - except, of course, the summer/fall flowers. The camellias, flowering quince, and daffodils are down to their last blooms; the Lenten roses, forsythia, and early azaleas are in full flower; tiny leaves are peeking out on most everything. A late freeze this year would be disastrous!

  • 14 years ago

    You ain't kiddin'! Our silverbell is in the early stages of flowering and I so dread a late freeze every year. I've never, ever seen such a bee tree.

  • 14 years ago

    Red maples, Carolina jessamine, coral honeysuckle, azaleas, redbuds, blackberries, California poppies, Indian blankets.

  • 14 years ago

    Also crabapples, pears, peaches & nectaries, plums, strawberries, loropetalum, tulips and phlox. The crocuses have already croaked and blueberries are coming any day now. Their blooms just haven't opened up yet.

  • 14 years ago

    ...raspberries, snapdragons, wisteria, spiderwort, oxalis, and so many pretty, tiny lawn flowers I have no names for.

  • 14 years ago

    Purple, are you talking about those durn lawn weeds? ;-)

    (SO happy to see you again!)

  • 14 years ago

    If purpleinopp's "tiny lawn flowers" form a beautiful sea of star-shaped pale blue flowers, the little bulb flowers are probably blue star flowers, or _Ipheion uniflora_, a native of South America that is naturalized in many old, Southern gardens. It is an excellent "minor bulb."

  • 14 years ago

    Thanks, jay. I've seen many of those you described and so many others, all colors of tiny blooms everywhere. I've said it before and I'll say it again - AL has the best, most beautiful 'weeds'!

    The little flowers are so interesting and pretty! They are ephemeral, and kind of like birds, you can't and really wouldn't want to domesticate or control them, u just enjoy when and where they appear. (Waving to rhizo!)

  • 14 years ago

    the banana shrub opened monday....i smelled it that afternoon when i got home from work.
    also noticed the calycanthus has flowers on it but they are not to the fragrant stage, yet.
    deutzia is also blooming.
    those tiny blue flowers could be bluets if they are pea-sized.

  • 14 years ago

    My blueberries are blooming now. The dogwoods (as pitiful as they are around here) are starting to bloom also.

    The old fashioned big azaleas are going nuts right now!

  • 14 years ago

    A huge purple wisteria down the street is solid purple all the way to the top of the trees. My banana shrub is opening up its delightful little petals. A puddle of brown dry camellia blossoms circles all those huge bushes in the yard, and there is activity with the wild birds scoping out nesting sites in them again this year.

    The rosemary officinalis is blooming its heart out, and my blueberry patch has itself covered as well. The azaleas were doing fine, until all the rain this last week beat their blooms to pieces. The small leaved varieties are now putting on more leaves.

    An amaryllis has five ripe stems ready to pop open, but no other bulbs are showing such life. A knockout double red is beginning to bloom, as well as one of my two Zepherine Drouhans. Not bad, since I do not plant floriferous things that much.

  • 14 years ago

    Our azaleas are starting to bloom, our tea olives are covered in white blooms (to my husband's delight). And one of my irises opened up yesterday! Some of my heather is coming back up and my bridal wreath looks beautiful!

  • 14 years ago

    AWP, welcome to the Alabama Forum (and to GardenWeb)! In what part of our lovely state do you live?

  • 14 years ago

    I'm over in Lee County and covered in a nice layer of pollen already!

  • 14 years ago

    I must be just a shade behind everyone - my azaleas are on the verge of opening. The linaria triornithophora I started from seed last year is budding, and lavender stoechas as well. Dianthus can't be too far behind. Also have buds on a calendula that wintered over, which rather surprised me.

    Mostly I have those lovely lawn flowers - creeping charlie, siberian squill, blue-eyed grass, a yellowish weed I think is in the ranunculus family, those tiny weedy strawberry plants (the berries aren't very sweet; I tried a couple last year), and dandelions in bloom. :)

  • 14 years ago

    Hellebores have been going to town for some time now. I lost about 2/3 of the tulip poplar buds/blooms back in early March when it bloomed early. Encore azaleas and other azaleas are almost near peak already and the redbud and dogwood are beginning to bloom too. The Pieris (Andromeda) Some daffodils have come and gone but some of the mid-season bloomers are going strong and others are just beginning. Tulips are budding but mine need to be moved from a once-sunny spot.

  • 14 years ago

    Petunias that overwintered (2 out of 3) are blooming.

    Love the roadside "weeds" - red, white, yellow clover, purple verbena, some kind of yellowish-flowered thing that looks like broccoli is everywhere, (and actual broccoli in my veggie patch.)

    Chives and roses are ready to pop!

  • 14 years ago

    My azaleas are peaking now, and lavender stoechas, which I love, but can't seem to winter over, is also in bloom. The calendula from last year has one bloom. Overnight, my columbines got buds, so I'll see them soon. The linaria triornithophora is teasing me - it has had buds for over a week now. My blueberry in a pot (forgot the variety name) is actually almost by - I saw the wasps around it last week; hope we get a few blueberries this year.

    The trees are phenomenal right now. Love them all!

  • 14 years ago

    Not blooming, but two of my three Japanese maples are leafing out. The third one, the coral bark, is a tad slow but this is its first spring.

    What I'm finding unusual are the pecan trees--last year it was almost June when they leafed. All three, including the two Mississippi Giants, are busting out in bright green.

    Our azaleas are mostly over and done with, except some of the very late ones.

  • 14 years ago

    Our pretty Silver Bell came into bloom soooo fast and went out even faster. We and all of the pollinators usually get to enjoy it for a couple of weeks, at least....but not this year.

  • 14 years ago

    My Forsythia is down to its last blooms...daffodils, flowering Quince and hyacinth are done. Carpet phlox is at about full bloom as is my spirea. Loropetalum are starting to wane...boy were they covered a week or two ago! My Weigelia are also starting to burst open. Azaleas are blooming at their height right now, as are a bunch of the native ones I just noticed in our woods yesterday. The dogwoods too are quite lovely right now.

    Blueberries and strawberries are blooming as some have said and the strawberries are starting to form. One of my clematis even has HUGE blooms on it, caught me by surprise today. Some of my bearded Iris have also opened, those are always a joy.

    Yellow Lady Banks rose started blooming yesterday. Won't be long before the rest of the roses explode into color!

  • 14 years ago

    Wow! The dogwoods were beautiful this year!! I also have gorgeous verbena this year and some huge clematis. Mine also caught me by surprise but one hasn't come into full bloom yet. Some of my iris haven't opened yet. Azaleas are waning but still look pretty good & the lilac bush is lovely. We had company for a cookout yesterday, so thankfully the blooming stuff wasn't totally past it's prime and we had a pretty good show. Oh, btw, saw some hummers this weekend.

  • 14 years ago

    I've got plains coreopsis, coneflowers, Indian blankets, crimson clover, and California poppies blooming now.

  • 14 years ago

    Linaria 3-0, columbines, penstemon, beach plum I started from seed in MA (even though it got critter pruned this past 'winter'), sage, white pelargonium. Big bud on one of my oriental poppies; lots of buds on the red rose and snapdragons.

  • 14 years ago

    I don't have any in my yard yet, but everyone else's iris in the neighborhood are blooming. Gorgeous!

  • 14 years ago

    Outside, what kind of lilac do you have? I haven't seen one in bloom for years and years.

    Speaking of plants that have nice aromas, I sure am enjoying our dianthus. I love that fragrance.

  • 14 years ago

    I can't even remember the variety. I think I bought it at Earth Touch when we first moved to the country. I am even surprised it survived! I have kept most of my plant tags over the years so I'll have to see if I can find it. It has been a faithful bloomer over the years.

  • 14 years ago

    Rhizo, after looking back through my plant tags, I couldn't find anything. But I looked online and believe it may just be the 'Common' variety or 'Wonderblue'. I planted it where we originally planned to take down a few trees, which we never did, so it actually gets a little bit of shade. It still blooms but hasn't grown very tall....only about 4' tall x 5' wide after 12 years, which leads me to think it could be the smaller 'Wonderblue' variety.

  • 14 years ago

    Are you all possibly talking about the 'Miss Kim' lilac cultivar, which is a reliable lilac for our Southern climate? It is widely available in the nursery trade.

  • 14 years ago

    That's probably it. The leaves of mine are fairly small.

  • 14 years ago

    My cyrillas are blooming.

  • 14 years ago

    June is bustin' out all over....