Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buckeye15_gw

Redbud with pink variegation?

buckeye15
10 years ago

Is anyone familiar with any cultivars of Cercis canadensis that have pink variegation mixed with white? I am familiar with C. canadensis 'Silver Cloud', 'Floating Clouds', and 'Whitewater', but those all just have white variegation...no pink.

A friend was recently at the Cleveland (OH) zoo, and saw one right outside the main entrance. Of course she didn't have a camera, and couldn't find a name label.

Is this a cultivar I haven't seen/heard of, or just a Silver Cloud with some fall color setting in that fooled her? Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments (3)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

all of my free range redbud .. especially when young.. put out reddish leaves in late summer ... which turn green as they mature ....

i am wondering if the white variegated ones do the same ...

are we sure of your friends ability to ID a tree????

most zoos are near botanical gardens... i would not be surprised.. that if you track down the grounds supervisor.. they dont have a master plan.. and could provide the name ... try contacting them directly ... and let us know ...

ken

• buckeye15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Ken. Yes she has 7 or 8 different cultivars of redbud in her yard already, so I trust her ID on genus at least. I looked for an email address of the head of horticulture, but couldn't find it. Guess I will have to do this the old fashioned way...pick up the phone or drive an hour there.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

head of horticulture???

i would look for maintenance ... ground keeper ... or fearless leader.. and ask for a referral ...

never under estimate.. the head persons secretary/admin asst .. they are the ones that usually run the place .. lol ...

yes.. i would go the phone route ...

ken