Software
Houzz Logo Print
bmwr80rt

Help with weak hive

16 years ago

OK...I scrwed up. After a year of not having bees (successful 5 year run averaging 90-115 pounds each year from 1 hive) after some sort of sudden problem (never figured it out), I got a hive going with a 2 lb package this spring. Unfortunately, the arrival coincided with an illness of both my parents. The bottom line is I have been a bad beekeeper.

the first problem was the queen was not properly released. The candy wasn't eaten, and I didn't get a chance to check her for almost 3 weeks after hiving. I was out of town at the hospital mostly, and days when I was home the weather was bad.

when I discovered the problem, she seemed still real healthy, so I dug the uneaten candy and released her. All seemed well. I saw new eggs and knew it would be a while before I had new bees, but I wasn't too concerned. Our family was dealing with a worsening health situation, and I wasn't doing good hive inspections, but the traffic seemed healthy, and when the first brood chamber was getting about 75 % full I put on a second one, knowing it might be a while before I got back to them.

Today I went to the hive, and it is really weak. Not many foraging bees and general lethargy. The comb looked pretty good, no sign of disease. I couldn't find the queen and there was no sign of fresh larvae. It sure appeared that there was empty comb, but I am not sure what to do. Dad's back home and my sisters are stepping up, so I have time, and I'd like to get this hive healthy again and get it at least through the winter.

Any thoughts?

Steve

Comments (2)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner