Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txgrdngal

Advice needed

backyardmama
16 years ago

I've researched several posts and have decided that this might be the best way to keep bees out of my hummingbird feeders. Please advise me if this is not a good idea. Our hummingbird feeders are very near the house. I am able to tolerate the bees while refilling the feeders, but, what I do not like is for the hummingbirds to have to fight the bees at the feeders - even those with bee guards.

I tried to have a designated bee feeder with stronger sugar solution while at the same time decreasing the sugar in the other feeders, but that did not help. Today I put a pan of very thick sugar water syrup in a pie plate near where the bees have been feeding. They really took to it. I hope to move it a little each day to the back part of the yard away from the house and hummingbird feeders. Is this an okay solution? I just don't want the bees to start depending on this as a source of food and stop visiting plants that must be in the area. I'm also not sure I want to start providing syrup to the bees from now on. Is there something else I should do or be aware of? Thanks for your help.

Comments (2)

Sponsored