Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grrr4200

46 cm bulb

grrr4200
9 years ago

So, I took the plunge and bought a giant bulb from scheepers. It's beatiful, AND HUGE! Ive heard that you can lose bulb mass. Was wondering if there are any tips and or tricks to getting the bulbs bigger and or maintaining their size?

Comments (4)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

What hybrid is it?
    Kristi

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

I asked what hybrid it is, because some seem to be prone to shrinkage.

With the bulb being that big you'll likely get 3-4 scapes, which also tend to deplete the bulb. Best advice I would offer (and no guarantees) is to not let it dry out for too long, give it plenty of room for roots (moisture and nutrient absorption), and fertilize after blooming to promote leaf growth. In MI you'll have to grow indoors.

Remember, it came to you after growing in optimal conditions. Anything less may result in some loss of size. Mine always lose some size in the winter after growing fat all summer.

Kristi

• grrr4200
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kristi, thank you so much. It's just a single bloom white, that's what the tag said :-) I will follow your instructions and hopefully it'll do great!

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

To help them maintain size, I try to take them outside as soon as the danger of frost is past, and allow them good sun and care all summer. I also feed quite well while they're growing, using a liquid fertilizer and extra micro-nutrients.

Also key is ensuring they have decent medium, good drainage, and re-potting when needed... including checking the basal plate for dead tissue along with removal of dead roots before placing in new medium.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions