Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
givelittle_getlots

ABADS is going to close down

givelittle_getlots
15 years ago

Monika Gottschalk wrote me a mail informing me that the german forum where I hang out here and there, is starting a english speaking part on brugmansia in that forum. I checked it out and it is already in place. So if anybody has any questions or just wants to check out folks from all around the world what their experience is with brugs etc...you are welcome to go sign up and check it out. Unfortunately most everything else is in german.

http://www.fuchsienfreunde.de/index.php go there. Top right you see :registrieren. Click on it...then in the middle towards the bottom click on Akzeptieren...it counts down until it becomes clickable.

Benutzername is your username

Geburtstag...is your birthday...Tag is Day, MOnat is month and Jahr is Year

E mail addresse...I think you know lol

passwort...I think you know that password too lol again

repeat password and then just give in the letter mumble jumble

oh then you can pick a avatar picture. Then you click on

Ãbertragen and that should do it.

maybe I see some of you there :-)

Hugs

Lucy

p. s. if you do need assistance with anything just e mail me

Comments (15)

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh and I just learned that you can have the site translated into english lol. Then when you post your message you can again translate it into the language you want it to show up.

You know, now I wonder what will happen to the hyperdizers? What about registering your brugs?

Lucy

• karyn1
    15 years ago

Such beautiful brugs! Too bad I can't understand more then a few words. lol Even when you click to English the posts are all in German.

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Karyn if you scroll down...you get to the AMERICAN portion of the forum. Some germans do post in german...but still learning too.

But Alistar posted HIS brugs and man those are giants and they blew me away.

See I do not see the problems when I go there. So feedback is great. I think they are really trying to build a english speaking portion where you can go to and get all the info you used to find at ABADS. We all know it takes time. We will see.

I just like to be able to go to different places and get all the info I can and make up my own mind about things.

Lucy

• patricia531
    15 years ago

For those that don't want to have to deal with the translation issue. Brugmansia Growers Internations is also a great site, with forums, gallery's and alot to offer.

• eddiedewayne
    15 years ago

i agree with patricia, BGI is a great society . over the years i have learned allot from the folks there . lots of detailed infomation , great pics , and brug lovers that are willing to help with any questions . overall just a great place .
    happy gardening
    eddie

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Of course I *asumed* that we all KNOW about BGI just like we all know about WOB lol. My bad. I was more disdurbed about the coming closing of ABADS since that was my site I really loved going to get information I did not get here. Especially in the beginning.

I belief that it never hurts to have a few extra places you can go and check out what you can find out about something NEW or different and then you can make up your own mind.

I love it here and like I said...WHEN I have time I love to go check out the german portion of that forum. Which the day has not that many hours to do all that you would like to do. I am sure we all know how that goes.

So if it came accross as me advertising for a new forum...that was not my intention. I could have also said that I love Dave's Garden but again I go use the market...or the co op. Mostly do searches for plants.

But when it comes to a FORUM...this is my choice where I like to hang out.

I apologize if anybody got upset over my posting and I can have it removed if that is so. I just thought that everyone could know ahead of time that ABADS will close. The registry part is supposingly keep going.

Lucy

• rialira
    15 years ago

*hugs lucy*

don't fret! :)

• green_thumb_guy
    15 years ago

I hope there is a way to save ABADS.

I would also like to see a partnership with BGI. I know lots of people are members of both forums.

• ruth_ann
    15 years ago

If no one will step up and do the work, then ABADS is done for.

• eloise_ca
    15 years ago

It's always sad when a good organization goes away. Lucy, I see nothing on these posts that you need to apologize for. Thanks for posting and giving us the info.

• sibhskylvr
    15 years ago

Lucy

There's nothing wrong with your post & it's OK!! :) I'm not a member of ABADS - but it's sad when a wealth of information concerning the plants we love 'goes under!' I think Brugs have become more popular over the last few years & people need all the information on these beauties they can find! Luckily we have a new website here & there that 'pops-up!' :) Thanks for letting us know!

Mike

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    15 years ago

well like I said, I did not want to start anything negative. I do not know why or when it is closing. I just thought that this is a important information we brug lovers, growers and especially hyperdizers should know about.
    The nice efford of giving those who need to get to information about brugs another place we can go and look up on...or ask questions and get them answered fast...just popped up lol

Tom I have NO idea why those 2 are said to not get along. If my memory serves me correctly...you can not even mention those 2 on Dave's Garden. I mean...are we all adults or what? I know how to make up my own mind.

Ruth Ann I really do not know why ABADS is planning on closing. But from what Monika wrote is that it was offered to take on work and not accepted.

I hope too that this great site can continue to be available. Maybe there could have been something the members would have done if they would know about the troubles?

Life is to short and I am just not going to worry about it anymore.

As long as you all know that this is home for me and family and I LOVE all living things...people, animals and nature.

Lucy

• karmahappytoes
    15 years ago

givelittle_getlots, there is plenty of history of bad blood betwoeen the two groups and it doesn't surprise me one bit. Matter of fact I predicted this several years ago. It's about their leadership, the control issues, rush to do one better and much more and nothing to do with what is in the best interest of the species.

• grrrnthumb
    15 years ago

Karma I know you have bad feelings toward those groups, but no, there are no longer any significant hard feelings between them. The Dave's Garden warning has unfortunately perpetuated that misperception much longer than it was actually true. There are many, many crossover members from both groups, including directors that post on both forums. There has been significant cooperation between them: ABADS has been formally publishing new registrations for BGI for awhile now, and Pambi & I have been working closely to get that done.
    Karma, I like you as a friend, so when you say that we have been doing "nothing to do with what is in the best interest of the species", I have to assume you just didn't realize how rude (and wrong, lol!) that was. No one anywhere in the world has done more purely in the interest of the species, not any organization nor any individual... ever.
    To tell the very hardest working, unpaid volunteers that their work is worthless really hurts their feelings.
    It's that hard work as the International Cultivar Registration Authority (ICRA), and all the work it entails such as publishing and tracking new cultivars, that has been a little more than some can handle lately; and there have been few who have offered to help despite repeated pleas. It is no one's fault, it's just that people's circumstances change, and many who were doing the most work no longer can.
    Just to set the record straight, there has been no formal determination of closing.
    - Tom

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know that it is very difficult for someone to let go of the past and forget about bad things. I live with it on a daily basis. I know what I am talking about.

You can not change the past. But you CAN the future.

I can not imagine what work and smarts it takes to lead a group that involves the whole world. The coordination. Research. What have you.

Tom I thank you for shedding SOME light on the ABADS situation. I was a volunteer for over 30 years in all sorts of fields and I loved it but it takes a lot out of you. So if ABADS is all volunteer based. I am taking my hat off to all those hard working volunteers. They sure gave their best. And that is ALL one can do. If anybody can do it better, I always said to please take it over. I would love to have a break.

I go LOTS of places and again I can only say that every place is giving me something I needed or was looking for. I do not want any of the sites to go away.

ICRA was the word I was looking for Tom...thanks.

After just being outside and covering up all inground brugs and other plants because we are suppose to go down to freezing...why would anybody argue (sp) over who is better...EVERYONE LOVES AND DOES THE BEST FOR THOSE ANGELS!!

Ok there are those of you......that put a axt to an angel and tell them if they do not preform right...they are history rofl.

I hope that ONE DAY while I am still living...I will be able to see that there is no more bad blood between anybody.

To EVERYONE a big hug

Lucy