Software
Houzz Logo Print
emgege

Need help with the ledge over my front door

14 years ago
Trying to come up with something to place on this ledge other than this fake plant. My style is eclectic and colors tend to be beige, red and black. Any ideas?

Comments (28)

  • PRO
    14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    I would love to have a spot like this in my house - and I don't necessarily think that putting something ON the ledge will improve it (it will always be something awkward to dust in the future). Why not consider instead hunting around for an amazing chandelier, or an eyecatching pendant light that suits your taste, or maybe uplights onto a bold piece of art displayed on the high wall?
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Love these ledges!! Can be an interesting, unexpected place for something your friends will remember. How about a big yummy floor pillow with a tiger lying on it.
  • 14 years ago
    I actually had one of these areas in the master bedroom of my last house. I went to the Big Lots (any discount store will do), purchased a small, cheap table, several small assessories that were taller in height, large candle and added a picture of my son. I set it up like a corner of the room that just happened to be higher up. It added an interesting view coming into the room instead of a dead space. Yes, I needed to get up there every couple of months to briefly dust, but from the average person's viewpoint, they cant see the dust.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Why not a Angel Statue as a Guardian protecting your Houzz !
  • 14 years ago
    I did one of these at my girlfriend's house and we bought a miniature "ice cream" chair and had a florist do an artificial arrangement in the seat. Of course, she had a housekeeper to climb up and dust it. I like the tiger idea too. I prefer the real angels that are standing guard around my home.
  • 14 years ago
    Try some tall curly willow branches in a floor vase, and a Vinyl quote on a large stone tile set on an easel.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    What is the look of your house? Contemporary, Traditional,Country???
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Is this above your front door? Is it visible from other areas of the house?

    Regardless, I agree with Emma. I recommend considering this spot as an architectural element in your house - - not as a shelf.
  • 14 years ago
    How about 3 very large pottery pieces in varying heights and shapes in good earthy colors to complement your style and decor.
  • 14 years ago
    another vote for the stunning light fixture idea.
  • 14 years ago
    Light fixture here too
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Ooh, couldn't you just see a big Foucault Orb up there from Restoration Hardware?
    Thev have a version slightly smaller than this one, too.
    Or try http://www.lampcage.com for an alternate....though this Orb fixture has several smaller and less pricey knockoffs


    Foucault's Iron Orb Chandelier, Large · More Info
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Cherry Yount - tigers and homes aren't a good combination, I hear they're really difficult to house break.
  • 14 years ago
    that area would be dynamite with LED cove lights that wash the walls. They can be simple, or programmable. Being able to change the color or to create color combinations would be unique and dynamic. word of warning though, not cheap. this product is the end-all be-all and is used in professional installations world-wide

    http://www.colorkinetics.com/ls/rgb/colorgraze/

    this product, coupled with various control systems including interactive, could be a wonderful part of your entry
  • 14 years ago
    Thank you all so much for your ideas- we do have a pendant light fixture that we love already in place, maybe just lowering it would give us what we need. I should have said the space is very visable from the second floor so to remain empty would look odd from that view. Wow great place- I do like the idea of an ord- not so much in a light fixture for my purpose, but maybe something like that on a stand?
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I like your idea to add to space - try different vases in varying hues, shapes, textures - if they don't work you can always use the space as SPACE! Found some images to get you thinking but you can create a masterpiece by playing with it -
  • 14 years ago
    Personally, with the window right there, I would opt for something large and very sculptural and not solid. I could see a very interesting weathervane, new or old. Wiry forms, like birdcages, or grouping or wiry cloches if different forms. An interesting light fixture could really bring the area to life. I like those wiry sphere lights.
    [houzz=
    Traditional Living Room · More Info
    ]

    some wire wall art:
    [houzz=
    Fielding Floral Wire Wall Decoration · More Info
    ]
  • 14 years ago
    HI -- I am someone that Hates those stupid ledges etc. that most people junk up with the most rediculous assortments of dust collecting stuff. If you have to put something there , then opt for just one big tasteful thing. Maybe a big piece of driftwood or an artfully decorated store manniqin , not abunch of things you have to dust or look dusty all the time. In the space shown , I would have an awsome light fixture, then maybe people won't look at the ledge/ shelf. I would take all the trims off the ledge too , you don't need to outline it ! Gingerclaire -- very funny ,- you beat me to it , Loved it !
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    LED Flexbrite Pre-Pack LED Kit · More Info

    Guest Bedroom Window Seat · More Info


    Run this rope lighting along the edge to illuminate up. Don't put anything on the shelf. Paint the trim of your porthole window a striking color or put something on the wall. Are you able to hang a chandelier lower or will it hit the ledge?
  • 8 years ago

    With any ledge above main door or even a bed, I am cautious as anyone slamming door etc, would cause the items to possible cause injury to anyone unless firmly stuck to the wall.

    I say use it seasonally for light theme decors for Autumns, summer, the holiday seasons etc.. in between these times you could just add theme cushions with quotes or just specific messages on them or greetings such as "welcome" Happy Christmas" and the like. they are light if they happened to fall, easy to remove and replace too. If your ledge cant be seen from the front of the stairs, line it with wax paper, so any dust will stick to it, then you just have to replace and not scrub anything!

  • 8 years ago

    Very old post !


  • 8 years ago
    This post is from 2012?
    Still listed under LATEST ???
    Anyhow , how about a big heirloom vase that is never allowed to break ....
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Old post or not, a great solution especially if you have eclectic style, drape a beautiful ethnic blanket or quilt or other textile. It would create a piece of art and raise the eye as well and be safe.
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Other concepts. Paint and wallpaper wall for interest. Hang large screen from ceiling as art and interesting piece. Decorate white space creatively.
  • 8 years ago

    Definitely old post but I'd be interested in what the OP did after some great suggestions here.

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    A couple more for those who also have similar architectural opportunities!
  • 8 years ago
    Replace the plant with a jungle.