Software
Houzz Logo Print
powella

Need another option for 50" flat screen TV.....

14 years ago
Wall mount is not an option. . . . . I need another suggestion besides this basic black stand that does nothing for my area. I'm limited on space (about 56" wide"). Should I go with a more upscale solid wood stand, armoire, etc. Any suggestions?

Comments (12)

  • 14 years ago
    Yes, either an upscale solid wood or black painted wood console, or built in media shelving would look much more finished than either your current stand or a wall mounted TV. Many people will probably suggest mounting it over the fireplace, and that is an option, but I think your TV is too large for that, plus the viewing angle is usually too high over the mantel. (I love your black mantel, BTW)
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Thank you . There are actually built-ins on the opposite side of mantel so I need something that works with it too. My husband wouldn't go for mounting over the FP.
    But, I do like the idea of a console or built-in shelving. Here's the full view.The TV area just looks so "blah".
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I think Feeny and Carolyn are right on with a console and painting the cabinet. In addition I would put a larger mirror over the fireplace to connect the two areas better.
    Marie
  • 14 years ago
    Have another white cabinet built to sit tv on with shelves, cabinets to balance the other white one....you have enough black I think
  • 14 years ago
    One of the best looking rooms I've seen has the wall painted black with the tv over a white fireplace. The huge tv just disappeared when not on. Quite a stunning room. It might work here and they have paintable chases to hid the cords. If your tv can stand on the fp you could do the same. Might want to build up the mantel top for insulation purposes. A white console table between the window and FP with a big beautiful floral arrangement on it & your mirror above would help balance the right side. If I can locate the photo of the room I saw I'll notify you where to see. I think you could use a more dramatic area rug to liven up the room as well.
  • 14 years ago
    I understand the weight imbalance with black on 2/3 of the wall and white on what remains. However, I wonder if we look at the room as a whole, will one side of the room outweigh the other if the cabinets are painted black?

    I'm tempted to suggest low, wall mounted media shelving in white to the left of the fireplace for the TV. Unifying the area from the right edge of the fireplace to the window wall with art and or mirror as Marie suggested is a good option.

    If there is space behind the wall, and you feel like working with carpenters, dust and a little inconvenience, a built in similar to below may be a good option for you as well.

    Eclectic Living Room · More Info


    Eclectic Living Room · More Info
  • 14 years ago
    I like James's Idea. You can have the tv pull out and swivel when being viewed and tucked away when not in use. for god sake don't paint the walls black! It would take so many coats to ever get the walls back to a light color. I love black and white with a touch of yellow for a bit of punch.
  • 14 years ago
    I notice that the built-ins to the right of the TV are actually recessed into the wall. Can you do the same thing on the other side? I think that would be perfect if you can. Have the same unit built by leave out the shelves in the upper unit and place your TV there.
  • 14 years ago
    If recessing a matching built-in is not an option, a white display console might be a good solution.
    Finley Home The Hampton TV Console - White/Oak · More Info
  • 14 years ago
    Thank you all for the help and advice. The camera didn't do the built-ins on the right justice, they are actually antique white with a bronze rub-through. I'll definitely stay away from a black console. thanks again, I love this website!!!