ben_birding

Ants on Milkweed

ben_birding

Do any of you have problems with ants on milkweed flowers? I'm not talking about aphid trafficking ants. I mean ants that appear to be nectaring on almost every flower. I have often picked up skippers (fiery and sachem) on my hand and put them on the flowers of my 'Silky Gold' A. curassavica. They will nectar, but the ants will crawl on the skippers quickly and they will fly off. They are doing the same thing on my A. tuberosa. So what do you guys do about ants? Or have any of you had this problem? Any green/organic pesticides?

• ms_minnamouse

Milkweed seems to attract everything. Japanese beetles, ants, aphids, milkweed bugs and beetles, etc. when I all I want is butterflies! And hummingbird moths...

• ashley2

I've been having a major problem with aphids on my milkweeds and some ants too and black sooty mildew which is caused by the aphids sticky juices etc. yuck!

• ms_minnamouse

But the aphids don't harm the larvae and eggs while those @#$% ants do.

• tracey_nj6

Normally I don't have ant problems on my milkweeds, just those darn oleander aphids. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen an ant on my milkweeds. But, in one part of my garden, I have a 2yo A. syriaca, which the ants are just walking all over the leaves. I think there's a nest in that bed. Mind you, there's NO aphids on this plant. No oleanders, no blacks, no greens, nada. I can't figure it out, but they're not harming anything, so I'll leave them be...

• leubafr

I would just keep trying to dround them to encourage them to leave. They really don't like their nest being messed with. That's what I have done with the ones in my bed.

• karyn1

I had a problem with ants killing newly hatched Monarch cats in my pop up outside. I had a number of container grown milkweed plants and had those in the enclosure but couldn't keep the ants out. I took everything inside, minus the ants and all was well.
    Karyn

• Roylene Garrett

I don't know what to do about the ants. They are all over my fairly large crop of common Milkweed plants. I see lots of monarchs and eggs, but rarely anh caterpillars. If I do see any cats, they are gone in a day or two. Any suggestions?

• Jen Hans

has anyone solved the ant problem??