Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atllaxfan

yuletide camellia- not!

laxfan
18 years ago

My Yuletide, which is about 4 or 5 years old now, blooms a little earlier each year. First bloom was two days ago. Anyone else seeing this- is this unusual?

jg

Comments (7)

• forrestal
    18 years ago

My Yuletide is usually bloomed out by Christmas, but this is a little early. Is yours in a container or in the ground? Container plants usually bloom sooner than those in the ground. The time of blooming is also climatic, from region to region and even within the region depending on weather conditions (such as the arrival of shorter, cloudier and/or cooler days, and the amount of water it may recently have gotten). These are variations that may make blooms earlier or later in a given year. We are running a little late here on the gulf coast in my estimation, because we had an unusually warm dry autumn so far, and it is still pretty dry. After Hurricane Katrina we had a solid month of very hot dry weather. The sasanquas and early japonicas are just now starting to show a bloom or two. No blooms on Yuletide yet.

• laxfan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

it's in the ground, east side of the yard, decent sun for half a day. we've had a very rainy summer here in Atlanta, followed by a dry September, and it is a record-setting 84 today!
    jg

• serenoa
    18 years ago

My plants agree with ForrestAL. Our year has been wet but warm so far. My notes indicate that Yuletide has flowered as early as late October in past years. I don't think the buds have developed enough to open in October this year.

• laxfan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

interesting. Mine has 5 fully open blossoms with many more starting to open.

• forrestal
    18 years ago

We started getting blooms on one YT this weekend. Almost all the early japonicas are opening now: Daikagura, High Hat, Joshua Youtz, Eleanor Grant, Arejishi, Joe Nuccio. Some of the sasanquas are coming into full bloom -- Stephanie Golden, Daydream, Asakura, Sparkling Burgundy. No Mine-No-Yuki yet.

I gibbed a few japonicas to open early, but the heat was holding them up. Now with cooler weather they are opening up and look great. The season is finally here!

• okintos
    18 years ago

I live in Latitude 40 º N and 8 º W, but the climates are different.

My Camellia sasanqua and my Yuletide are in full flowering from the ends of September.

Regards.

42º 29 03, 31 N

8º 50 44,44 W

{{gwi:514507}}

{{gwi:503324}}

Here is a link that might be useful: A Toxa Grove

• serenoa
    18 years ago

The first sasanqua flower opened on Nov. 10 in my north Florida yard. It is a Stephanie Golden. I see a little color on a single bud of Yuletide. All of my established fall and winter blooming camellias have lots of buds so it promises to be a good season. They are later than last year, though.

Sponsored
More Discussions