Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krackerjak

too many canna's

krackerjak
19 years ago

i recieved a few from a friend. that was 3 years ago and they have went wild! today 2/5 i just went out and dug up many. is there a way to control them? i'm not sure of the variety. some have green leaves and yellow flowers, others have dark purple/green leaves and red flowers. tia

Comments (19)

• cannafreak
    19 years ago

Cannas spread like weeds in the ground. Try planting in big containers to minimize the amount.

• sylviatexas1
    19 years ago

Post on the Canna Forum Exchange or gardenweb's Plant Exchange.

People will send you something you *want* for something you have too much of!

• krackerjak
    Original Author
    19 years ago

anyone have any idea on how to (sorry to say)kill them. They are out of the beds and into the lawn!

• Bekkoula
    19 years ago

Here we they die in winter. In order to keep some for the next spring, we dig the tubers out in autumn, like we would potatoes. It's easy to remove the tuber clumps.

You could do that and get rid (gift or exchange or compost pile) of the tubers you don't want.

Bekkoula

• baskettina2
    19 years ago

Would you consider sending some for postage paid? I'd be interested in rescuing a few out of your lawn. :)

• suzabad
    18 years ago

>>>Would you consider sending some for postage paid? I'd be interested in rescuing a few out of your lawn. :) Same here...would love to have some...although mine are are outgrowing their bed as well...but I just have a the yellow/orange combo ones (no name). However we are getting ready to buy 6-9 acres of land (by the end of this month) and build a house. I can start growing them in the non-construction area, so that they will be nice and pretty by the time we move in (or at least for next spring).

• Demione30
    18 years ago

I would love some before you throw them away.
    Email me
    Hugs Bonnie

• jaceysgranny
    18 years ago

You could sink containers in the ground and plant them in those. 5 gallon buckets with the bottoms cut out would work and that would probably contain them if you wanted to keep some.

Nancy

• weatherguy
    18 years ago

I wish my cannas were taking over!!!!!!!!!!!

• kcsunflower
    18 years ago

WOULD LOVE TO TAKE SOME OFF YOUR HANDS....LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY LEFT....I AM STARTING OVER WITH MY LOVE FOR CANNAS...LEFT MY OTHERS IN MISSOURI......HOPEFULLY OHIO DOES AS GOOD AS THEY WERE THERE......KAREN

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    18 years ago

I have the standard red ones. About every three years or so I will put all my extra in a wheelbarrow and put them out by the road with a free sign. They rarely last more than a day. I started with two tubers and have given them to most of my friends and family over the years. They are getting to the point of just giving them away also.

• skippy05
    18 years ago

You could dig them up & maybe donate to some charity.
    An animal shelter or SPCA
    They could sell them cheap & the money would go to a good
    cause.

• VettyCL5
    18 years ago

Krackerjak or whip1, would you have any cannas for postage? just saw some by school the other day and would love to add them to my yard. PLMK

• scotland1
    18 years ago

My husband found some cannas beside the road, just loosely sitting in plastic 1 gal pots. He put them next to my vegetable garden, still parked in their pots with almost no dirt. Knowing they have a tendency to take over, I refused to plant them but he wouldn't let me throw them away. So they planted themselves. Busted through their plastic pots. They're coming up all over my small vegetable garden. Two years of not so benign neglect and the five plants have multiplied into 20 or so. I had him cut them down Sunday because they're shading the garden too much. Already, two eight-inch shoots have appeared less than two days later. Now, I have to dig out the tubers. These are also the least attractive cannas I've ever seen. Plain green leaves and a few insignificant orange flowers. I've seen some stunning cannas, and these aren't even close. Now I get to see if there's a way to really get rid of them. I know this is sacrilege to many of you, but I need tomatoes and my yard is small!

• cantstopgardening
    18 years ago

That's why they were out by the side of the road-Hehe!! Somebody else realized there are cannas, and there are cannas. Best of luck gettting rid of them.

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

I put all my assorted garden extras (including cannas) into a box or bucket when I know I'll be working in the front garden. Any passer-by who shows ANY interest goes home with my extras. I also bring in bags/boxes/buckets of extras to work, because there are quite a few avid and new gardeners where I work. Within an hour or so, word gets out that there are free plants in the hallway.

• sammy1975
    18 years ago

First time canna gardener. Anyone wanting to give away cannas, please let me know!!!

• pbaxter
    16 years ago

I have some Big red seeds and Rhizomes would like to trade for other colors. (SASE) I have 200 seeds and 300 Rhizomes.

Thank You
    Plez Baxter
    plezbaxter@yahoo.com

• winterbird
    16 years ago

If you have more of the canna's to get rid of now or later I would like to have some.