Software
Houzz Logo Print
sunnemac

I need something to pop. Or should I just leave it alone?

14 years ago
I hope you can tell from the photos the area I am working with. The things on the shelf are on there to help with seeing the area. I know I need another piece on it. I don't have to use those, plus I wanted to make sure the top and bottom of the beam/shelf could be seen.

Comments (34)

  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I think I would leave it alone. I'd rather you did something on your walls as a focal point. I noticed the robin'egg blue frames in your ideabook. They would really pop.
    I assume that door in the pic is to a storage area. It's appears to be metal and there is not eye viewer. If that is the case, you would rarely use it. Paint it the same as the walls to downplay it visually. If it is a regular door like to a powder room, leave it as is.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I wouldn't worry about the space. But if you find yourself looking up a lot, do a nice collection of baskets.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    All I can think of is what a hassle that's going to be to dust. The beam is far to large for any small scale items (I would never put anything large or small scale up there). I say paint it black.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Get the walls you want to show off with wall decals.
    http://tradingphrases.com/best-sellers.html?gclid=CNei2tqIibICFcVFMgod1FoABA
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I thing you should to remove every thing on the beam and don't but any thing on the top of it and give it an accent color what the client prefer to give them which effect they like :)
  • 14 years ago
    I would put nothing up there. I would put a more prominent color or print on the window or (sliding door?) to draw your eye down. Putting heavy objects above your head gives an unsettled feeling - as if it may fall, so best left blank.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I think built-in shelving for books or other decorative items- would be nice. It is an oddball piece and that would downplay it and make use of it. If that is not in the budget, then some tall, slender, colorful, sculptural vases would look great.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I worked on a house just like this. I added rope lighting along the top of the beam on dimmers. Turned out to be a great hidden lighting effect.
  • 14 years ago
    Remove everything on the beam, less is more. The beam makes a statement, this is not a ledge to fill up with knick knacks.
  • 14 years ago
    I agree with the tall vases, not only for a great look but easy cleanability with extend poles. Good design always uses odd numbers so I would use 3 or 5 vases depending on the size to take up the visual space.
  • 14 years ago
    This is a bird's eye view (apologies) but I had the same dilemma and decided that since I live in a sailing town (and I am a sailor as well)....that I would go with that theme......maybe your town has a similar theme going on ?? Just a suggestion.
  • 14 years ago
    HI -- These architectural feature beams were not meant to have things on them . I am with the others voting for nothing on them . It always looks junky putting things over head . Maybe a richer paint color would be better.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Take everything off and paint the ceiling a soft blue, Let it be architectural instead of clutter. Cover it with wood and make it a beam across the ceiling.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I also think whether you change the wall color or not it would be a good idea to paint the ceiling the same color as the walls but a shade lighter. It will not pop out so much this way. I agree that lighting on the beam could be good as well.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Allergy nightmare unless you plan to dust weekly. Keep it sleek and modern. If your style needs more a beautiful stained glass hanging from the ceiling above would bring color without clutter. Center between ceiling and top of beam so it "floats".
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    It's not about emphasizing that shelf. It is about using it as part of the whole project and creating balance. Lots of things can be done which include another wall with very high drapery, Painting the opening of wall toward kitchen an introducing a color there that corresponds to one wall of the kitchen.
  • 14 years ago
    Would you put them on top or on the side?
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    What is your next project? You need nothing on the beam.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    First, I would paint the wall with the door and the entertainment unit a darker shade and then paint the door and frame the same color as the wall. Then, clad the beam with the same wood as you have in the built-in. The attached photo shows the addition of some downlights (with a dimmer) might be a nice touch. You also need some draperies around the windows, perhaps in the blue, to add some color to the walls.
  • 14 years ago
    This is my first house and finances are limited. I only have sheets on those windows until I get my colors straight.
  • 14 years ago
    Is this a structural beam? If not, would remove it as it is a visual distraction. Leave items off if it is a structural beam. Accent colors on a wall as other's have stated is a good idea. Shelving and book shelving are great ideas to add decorative items. Paint the ceiling the same color as the main walls. This will help 'the beam' disappear into the ceiling. Have a beautiful table setting or accent piece and concentrate on the 'lower' areas and the beam will not be a problem for you anymore.
  • 14 years ago
    I would cover the entire beam in a reclaimed wood venere, then put some ornate wrought-iron corner brackets below it on the walls. I would not put anything on top.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    That ceiling is harsh white it really jumps down at you. I agree with whoever said a lighter shade of the same taupe will look lifted and seamless. Yes wood cover and twirly brackets below would look so nice
    .
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I would like to see floor to ceiling drapery panels on what appears to be a slider....add your pop of color or pattern there, perhaps an Ikat pattern or stripe. Hang the drapery rod as high as possible. I agree with the others that you should leave the beams empty!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I like an earlier suggestion of using a wall decal. Maybe a great short quote.

    Attached is a pic a friend took at a hotel. I love the these cool vibrant vases, but it would be a task having to dust.
  • 14 years ago
    I say go slow and only spend money on things you love. If you love the item, you will love it in your home. Remember it is your home and you have to see it everyday. Congratulations on your first home, make it your own. Good Luck.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Do not place anything on it, but there is something special about it however. a change in colour or material treatment, can be enough to frame the space above it making it separate from the ceiling and wall. Check this post: http://thisisnottoscale.tumblr.com/post/30398525343/fuckyeahawesomehouses-house-brun-japan
  • 14 years ago
    I suggest to put 3 jars of the same colour and diferent shapes
  • 14 years ago
    I would paint (only) your large wall across your, I believe its your kitchen, Chocolate Brown. with the wood on your cabnets and door will make them pop out more. do nothing with your beam. leave fruits and flowers for your kitchen area. :)
  • 14 years ago
    putting stuff up there also throws off every room you can see it from. The focal point is the vaulted ceilings. I live with similar architecture every day and we never notice its even there. I think you may have just become fixated on it so you notice it more than anyone else ever will.
  • 14 years ago
    I agree with larryhinkle. I always notice the little "flaws" that bother me and no one else does or they think it is wonderful. I say leave it to last and if it still bothers you, then tackle it.
  • 14 years ago
    Def nothing on top, for practical and safety issues! either paint with an accent color to use as a decorative element by it self. OR go the other way around; and paint it the same color as your ceiling, to minimize its presence!

    if electrical wiring is possible and within budget, i love the addition of some lighting effect on the side facing your ceiling!! as suggested by @Franks Home Maintenance, see cmt and pic above.
  • 14 years ago
    One word. DUST!
Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio