Software
Houzz Logo Print
casaoda

Installing a range in the middle of an island

14 years ago
Almost all photos show the kitchen range near a wall. This is the first where it's in the middle of the kitchen and an island. LOVE. Are there any issues with smoke or heat? Thanks.
Heights Kitchen Remodel · More Info

Comments (11)

  • 14 years ago
    It has a hood vent, so smoke should not be a problem. I've seen many stoves or range tops in islands.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    The key to ensuring that this configuration works is in making certain to pair the range with a correctly sized ventilation hood. Not all hoods are created equally and this should be taken into account when selecting the proper unit.
  • 14 years ago
    I would only do this if the island is large enough or there is a raised bar on the opposite side of the range. But that's just me, main reason is I have a child who likes to sit in the bar stool snd eat her meals on the kitchen island. Wouldn't want those little hands touching any hot surface or getting splattered with oil when I fry something or cook stir fry.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    The only way to make this worthwhile is a proper ventilation hood as D.coop's post , and secondly it involves a lot of Cleaning , do you have a Housemaid ? if yes then go for it .
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Thanks for your question. No, the venting system works well to disperse any odors or smoke.
    casaoda thanked Carla Aston | Interior Designer
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    You can, as already stated, the vent needs to be appropriately sized for the range. Be sure to visit an appliance store with working models, some of the larger ones can be quite loud when running. Also consider how the vent hanging down in the middle of the room will affect your view.
  • 14 years ago
    I agree with sheryldesigner--we have Kitchen Aid 6 burner gas stove with the vent directly behind it and it vents under the floor. It works well, but every once and a while the smoke alarm goes off in the hallway.
  • 13 years ago
    You may also want to consider ducting. The ducts have to have enough room in the ceiling and a lot of hoods venting systems cannot make a 90 degree turn. I wanted this in a new construction and was unable to do it - albeit we have a 1000 cpm vent as we have a capital stove and that was the manufacturers recommendation
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    We have an induction cooktop in the island and LOVE it! I placed a pop up venting system instead of a massive hood. I wanted the focus to be on the crystal pendants over the island. I plan to replicate this in my next kitchen. Good luck!
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I ended up with my stove (an eBay purchase) in the middle of the kitchen and I LOVE it. When guests come over I can visit and cook without missing a beat. Installed vent-a-hood which is pricey but powerful and quiet. Not sure I can post a url, but here's what it looks like: http://www.funfeasts.com/2014/03/kitchen-chronicles-before-and-after.html.