Software
Houzz Logo Print
sembhm03

Need help with backsplash color!

14 years ago
I have dark kitchen cabinets,light floors and light counter tops. Black applicances. I want to lighten it up and have a blue backsplash! Found this color that I love! http://www.cooltiles.com/hakua315m.html
Too much? I have people tell me I should go with a neutral color like cream and brown, but I think that will be so dull in my kitchen. I feel like it needs color! Any suggestions? Opinions?

Comments (23)

  • 14 years ago
    So more like subway tile? hm. Never considered those! Thanks!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    yes, I think that will help to update it a bit with a cleaner line.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I agree with Mona, you would do better with a larger scale tile. The little ones get pretty busy looking across a whole backsplash. Also, a neutral backsplash has merit. You can design around it 100 times, so you won't be locked into bright blues. A travertine will add texture and depth and I don't feel it's boring at all. With the travertine I would paint the walls something like sherwin williams 6220 interesting aqua. You can add additional color with a roman shade on the window and 1 or 2 objects on the countertops, something useful like canisters. No it's not bright blue but it will make your kitchen come alive and down the road you can change it to any color you like.
    Baja Cream Travertine Tiles · More Info

    SW6220 Interesting Aqua by Sherwin-Williams · More Info
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    I think color is a personal choice usually. But the travertine is very nice! Also, when you remodel you want to make sure if you need to sell that a buyer will like it too. Putting in an expensive color that perhaps a buyer will not like makes Your house less sellable. I actually love blue; but someone above did not. But I detest some of the greens. So you see a with a neutral color you can add colorful accents in other ways that are easy to change if you tire or decide to sell. So if I was doing a backsplash I like the Travertine. Also, I just wonder if the little glass tiles will go out of style quickly and they have never seemed as photogenic as other backsplashes.

    To add some interest to your kitchen though you might move the microwave to a different location and add a stainless range hood. I will post a link. Just something to think about for now or later.
    http://www.rangehoodsinc.com/productcart/pc/Cavaliere-198B2-30-Wall-Mounted-Range-Hood-3p17.htm

    I have no affiliation with these people. But that is what we did when we updated our kitchen and the change was amazing.
    Be sure to share your decision and good luck!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    What are your kitchen pieces like - your big bowls and artsy nick-nacks that one carries around and can't part with , , ,are you wiping slate clean? If not take a good look at your absolute fav's and choose a color that works best - Either the tile will be your focus or if you choose a neutral - your decor - will have more spotlight
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I really like the idea that Mona Ives has. If you don't like that maybe you want to play it safe and keep the colors you already have. In which case here is a few good ideas.
  • 14 years ago
    Thank You everyone for your input!! I appreciate it!! I think I just had my heart set on the blue glass backsplash but you all really have me thinking that probably in the long run won't be the best idea!
  • 14 years ago
    I really like the travertine, Isn't that more on the expensive side though? I don't want to spend a fortune, but I don't want to get something cheap looking either.
  • 14 years ago
    What's your favorite color? Do you like a soft buttery yellow or do you have a favorite patterned blouse? Whatever you're drawn to as a palette could help you with color choice. I agree, nothing too loud or eye catching. You could even put up your own mosaic tiles. It's easy and fun and they aren't too expensive. And these days there are so many beautiful tiles it's amazing. IF you start with a paint color and live with it for a while, you can always change over to tiles of the same color if you find that you love the color.
  • 14 years ago
    I think the wood grain is so pronouced in the wood that you dont really want any more texture or pattern.
  • 14 years ago
    Have you ever considered painting your cabinets? I agree with some of the other members that the wood grain in your cabinets is quite pronounced. However, painting the cabinets a soft color (i.e. light gray, pale yellow, etc) will allow you to expand your choices of backsplashes and modernize your ktichen. Here's an example: http://www.houzz.com/photos/kitchen/gray-cabinets-and-glass-tile-backsplash

    Best of luck!
  • 14 years ago
    As far as the expense of travertine, there are many travertine look a likes that look nice. I actually have the same color in my kitchen; but it is not travertine. I like it a lot!
  • 14 years ago
    How about a comprimise?? I encourage you to live a little, experiment with one or two of your favorite colors in the tiles that you love. Having said that, do it with paint rather than tile for the time being. See how your other counter top items look with it and see if it fits your style the way you think it might. Live with it for a while and if you truly do love it the way you think you will, go ahead and and buy the tile. But reconcile yourself to the fact that should you decide to sell down the road, you'll have to have the blue tile removed and replaced with something neutral. We only go around once in this life. Enjoy!
  • 14 years ago
    My backsplash will be Marmorea Beige porcelain 6"x3" subway tiles. It looks like travertine, but, of course, much less expensive. I have a slide-in range, so I'm doing a mosaic "picture frame" above it. I figure if I get tired of it, or if it becomes dated, it will be much easier and less expensive to replace than an entire backsplash. Maybe there's an area in your kitchen where you could incorporate a mosaic tile without doing the whole backsplash?
  • 14 years ago
    the green tiles for the back splash. much better than the blue
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Paint your cabinets a light color and use mirror for an inexpensive and easy to maintain backsplash. It will reflect light and visually enlarge the space. If you leave the cabinets dark then consider making them black with mirrored backsplash and consider putting mirrored doors on at least half your upper cabinets. If you paint the cabinets white any color backspash will work for you. :)
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    oops...here are some photos
  • 14 years ago
    Here is a fact: Blue is NOT a color for enticing eating, or adding a feeling of warmth to a food prep area. We really do not eat any blue food, blueberries aside.

    YOU could - also just add some beautiful bead-board between the cabinets and countertops, instead of going for the tiles. I would also add the bead board on the front of your counter facing into your other room. This will give you a nice, clean updated look without all the expense of tile. AND - if you will go to Van Dykes Restorers on line or order their catalogue - you can also order the carved legs that you could add onto the end of your counter. You could paint your beadboard in a beautiful clean white, or any color you desire - then paint the wall another color.

    I would definitely add new door hardware, and some deep profile crown molding which will make the room appear larger and truly finished - and then add task lighting, get a new fixture for over the sink - like a school house light - or a pendant and then hang some pendants over the countertop area. Add new, softer lighting will change the entire room. And, dont forget to paint the ceiling.

    Colors are in the end, the desire of the one creating - but "blue" is not warm and fuzzy for the gathering place of the home. It is a cool cold color.

    one last thought - make all of the hardware and lighting metals mesh - and don't forget about the light switches either - these too can come in the same metals as your other details.

    For ideas and concepts - go to Rejuventation Hardware on line. They have "collections of hardware and lighting fixtures - beautiful rooms for great ideas. good luck
  • 14 years ago
    My house was just built this past November. My husband I think would have a cow if we painted our "brand new" cabinets. I don't think I would ever paint them white. Maybe the buttery yellow someone else suggested. I do want to change the hardware and the light fixtures. I just want to do everything, but now go broke while doing it! Thank You all again for your input! I'm loving the ideas! keep them coming!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I agree the blue backsplash will be a bit too much for this kitchen. Don't need to use travertine but I would use something more neutral in color.

    Greenlake Custom Home · More Info
  • 14 years ago
    They seem to be painting all the great oak wood cabinets we've adored in kitchens for years! That's the point - they are now dated.

    Add the legs to the eating area after you've painted it, even if you don't want to paint anything else.

    I also agree, paint the back splash in a color you like to see if you would like a tile in that color.

    I wallpapered the backslash in my kitchen in a 'marble look' which blended with my cherry cupboards.

    Would love to paint my cherry cupboards but in an 1833 farmhouse, and the cherry is from the property, I don't have the heart.

    Since it's a galley kitchen (long and narrow), and the stove sits at the far end as you enter, I removed the cupboard doors over the stove and over the refrigerator in an effort to open it up a little bit. Now, when you walk into my kitchen, you see the great pottery in that cupboard over the stove AND over the refrigerator.

    One more thing, since you have a black stove, you should have something else black in the kitchen to offset that color. I would get one of those great industrial lights, with a black metal shade, and hang it over the kitchen sink/window.

    Would also replace the ceiling light with a great drum light with a black shade. this would tie the black together...
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Travertine is widely available so don't let it scare you price wise. You can even hop on down to your local Home Depot and pick up some, cut it down to your desired size. It will be very competitive to glass price wise. Also check out local resources, you can spend a bundle shipping stone from an online source. And if you're happy with your new kitchen, don't feel pressured to paint anything. Also I don't really see your kitchen as being formal enough to add beadboard, panels, corbels etc. It would be heavy looking. A new light fixture, backsplash, paint on the walls and window treatment will go a long way to warm things up. And if you want to get technical about color theory, yes, blue is an appetite suppressant but what it comes down to is it's your home. I suggested the shade I did to help balance some of the darkness of the cabinets and appliances since you specifically wanted blue in there.