Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorabell_gw

Getting ready for first frost....

lorabell_gw
9 years ago

Gonna be cold this weekend so brought in some of my tenders..... wonder if my DH will notice.......ha!

Comments (6)

• lorabell_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

First pic was our dining room, this is the entrance to our outhouse(bathroom).... where there is a will......

I have to do some minor collecting and moving yet, other than that, come on winter.....

• User
    9 years ago

Lorabell,
    I'm so jealous you have all that room for plants, and nice shelves to boot!
    You have quite a collection there.
    I have 3 more plants to bring in, and I'm working on finding the room for them, my home is very small.
    I know, they must come in.
    Every year I hate luggin them in , but I can't let them go.
    I did get rid of alot of my tropicals, but some you just can't part with if you know what I mean.
    It's sort of depressing, but I do love the cooler weather in fall.
    You are truly fortunate to be able to have so many plants for the winter to keep you from thinking about the dreary winter, even as short as it is in the south.

• Ralph Whisnant
    9 years ago

We will almost certainly have heavy frost Monday morning and possibly Sunday morning, also. After that no more temps below 40 for a week or longer. Cover up everything you can and most plants may stay alive until close to Thanksgiving.
    Laura, I have extra cuttings rooted of several varieties of coleus and several other tropicals, so if you are back in Raleigh and have any more room, let me know. Anyone else nearby who has a warm place to keep coleus, Sunpatiens and other plants that fade away in my cold greenhouse, I will gladly share in hopes of getting a cutting back in case mine do not make it. Email me and I will send you a list of what I have.

• lorabell_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Butterf,y, I do like collecting! Big old house equals big heating bill and lots of cleaning. Did get the cool shelving from a yard sale this summer on the super cheap. My husband is a anti-plant lover so I just keep trying to camouflage my Plants into the decor thus thinking he won't notice too much. I keep away the winter blues by starting seeds indoors right after Christmas!

Ralph, I think I have everything prestaged for this first frost. I did pot up each variety of salvias yesterday as backups in case the in grounds don't make it this winter. Im in huge shows up in VA until thanksgiving weekend when I will be in Raleigh.... I always have more room!

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    9 years ago

I was merrily rooting cuttings through October. On November 1st, I took up the mama plants as backup so I can take more cuttings. Ralph, the big pots you gave me look happy in my basement room as a temporary home through the winter. It is unheated but usually stays around 60 degrees or so. I may put a heater down there this year. Only one of the coleus cuttings didn't make it through the trip home, but the leaves have rooted in water. Hope it can make the transition to soil ok. I don't remember which one, but it is one of the dark ones from in front of your house.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

wonder if my DH will notice

==>> most likely.. only if he trips over it.. getting another bottle of wine... lol ...

ken

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus