Software
Houzz Logo Print
leigh62904

Need Help with my Living Room Fireplace and Built in - HATE THEM.

14 years ago
Hi all - I'm new to this site so hopefully I do this right. :)

We just moved into a 'new' home. It wants to be a craftsman style in many ways but the inconsistency in design throughout the home ruins it. I love the detail work of the fireplace but hate the stain. And I really hate the tv built in. And the attached mirror...don't get me started.

I did a poll with friends asking if we should paint them both white and they all said NO WAY.

What do you all think? Any design ideas? Keep it stained and just add lighter, brighter accessories? Paint it out? Any and ALL feedback is welcome - thank a bunch!

Comments (25)

  • 14 years ago
    Its all about your tastes. Painting anything white is always the very last thing on my list
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    If your home lends itself to craftsman style (and you like that style), I would not paint the built in or the fireplace. Rather, I would change the tile to something more colorful and modern. Perhaps a glass mosaic? That would also help balance the reflective quality of the mirror. I like your idea of adding lighter, brighter accessories on the mantle. Just be sure to make them of varying heights and textures. I would also update the fireplace screen.
  • 14 years ago
    I agree with above. The natural wood is lovely and adds warmth to the room. I would, however, change out the tile.
  • 14 years ago
    if these is the only original pieces left, then I say go for painting it out and tie it in with the other woodwork. The other moldings look new and there really isnt a reason to preserve it just because its old. The finish is period but if you dont like it it doesnt matter. If it was honey oak, no one would hesitate saying paint it.
  • 14 years ago
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I think what throws me off is that you walk into the room and it's all stain. The hardwood floors, the built in, the fireplace - gah! The stain itself is actually really pretty, there's just so much of it. I LOVE the idea glass tiles - even my husband liked the idea when I read it aloud. We'll have to do some tile hunting this weekend and get a sample. We hate the tile that's there. (I am using the word 'hate' an awful lot on this topic.) Everything in the room is just so red except for the floors, which are a beautiful dark brown color - I just keep thinking the floors would really pop with a gorgeous white fireplace surround.

    Any thoughts on the the built in? Would you all keep it? We thought about ripping it out, but we definitely want to make it over. Possibly take off the doors and use it more like a bookcase.
  • 14 years ago
    I LOVE that Carolyn. Love Love Love. I also kept thinking in terms of the two separate pieces (fireplace and tv) being twins - that I had to keep them the same. Great great inspiration, thanks!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Thank you, Leigh! Glad you like the idea. As for the art over the fireplace. Since there isn't very much space for art there, I would like to increase the visual height by having you hang a pair or a trio of vertical pieces instead of one horizontal piece. See photo below.
    Contemporary Family Room · More Info
  • 14 years ago
    Another cool idea, thank you! The builder did some weird things here - we have vaulted ceilings in all the bedrooms but not the great room?! Crazy. Loved the house otherwise, just have some kinks to work out. I agree that the vertical art will stretch the ceilings, which will do wonders for the space. Now to get my husband motivated to either do the work or let me hire someone. :-)
  • 14 years ago
    Leigh, your room is very, very nice...just changing the stone on the fireplace will make a huge difference and your floor will stand out beautifully!
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    There are two major focal points that vie with each other - the fireplace and the cupboard. If it were my house, I'd definitely either take off the upper part of the fireplace mantle or find a piece of artwork that would exactly cover the mirrored area. Then I'd paint the cupboard on the right to match the wall color. (Remove the decorative top piece of wood that is a match for the fireplace.) That throws the focal point back to the fireplace and with (eventually) the change to three pieces of art above the mantle, it would really wow the neighbors. Then if you replaced the fireplace facade with glass tile ... .

    When I moved into my cottage, the walls were paneled and the heavy grain in the wood made me feel like I was living inside a tiger.
  • 14 years ago
    Haha! That's awesome - living Inside a tiger. :) I am so glad I found this site. I love each and every idea. Will def go shopping for new tile/stone this weekend. That's too easy a fix not to conquer right away.
  • 14 years ago
    Since the corner of the room is the focal point i would honestly take the doors off the built in tv standand and paint the trim. Then i would add in shelves and display some pics/knick knacks on them. Remove the mirror and put your tv on an articulating wall mount.
  • 14 years ago
    The room needs a warm color to set these off... but it doesn't have to be dark. A deep mustard-gold would be nice. I would remove the doors on that cabinet and make it a bookshelf. Books would add more color. If a TV does have to be in there., at least take off the top and bottom doors and use it for books or show-pieces.
    The tile in the fireplace is down-right depressing. A nice bright mosaic would would set it off! The mirror is old... and needs to be replaced or removed. Moving the upper ledge down to create a impressive mantle is a great idea... classy. I don't think I'd paint any of the wood though, it needs to be cleaned well and accented. Balance...
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    The room is too dark , why not Re tile the Fireplace surround ?
  • 14 years ago
    IF you hate the mantle - TAKE IT OUT and SELL IT! Lots of folks would purchase something like this. There are tons of magazines (like at the book stores, home depot, this old house, etc.) which nothing but fireplace design ideas - find one you really like and put that in. I would just sell it! use that money towards a new FP.
  • 14 years ago
    Hi! Not a designer, but to me the mantle and the built in stain is very red and jumps out against the floor and walls. Love the floors, BTW. For whatever wood you decide to keep, consider restaining it a color that flows more with the floor...less cherry. I liked Susan Alfinito's idea of painting a warm mustard or perhaps a sage.
  • 14 years ago
    Oh a sage would look lovely and so would a soft, warm Tuscan gold color - but to take some of the redness out of the stain, I think a color opposite on the wheel, like a soft grey or blue/grey, or a green/grey would tone down the redness of the room. If you cannot take the mantle out and sell it - how about sanding it down and putting a toning glaze over the wood? Then re-tile the front? I think these are about your only options other than removing mantle from the house.

    Also, adding an area rug in opposite tones will help as well.

    Please let us know.
  • 14 years ago
    Looking at the shape of this room. I think a round rug with tones from the tile you select, would help greatly! Again... balance.
  • 14 years ago
    The top piece of trim on the built-in tv standard makes that unit look like a twin of the fireplace. Remove the top piece of trim on the standard and it will fade into the wall once it is painted.
  • 14 years ago
    L; Tone with Gel Stain.
    I love Carolyn's idea about modifying the fireplace, and the idea about changing the tile to your own taste. To my eye, I think the mantle and built-in are just too red and could harmonize with the floor better. You can tone the red down with a gel stain. Prior to doing anything, you need to practice on a separate piece of wood first. No need to strip the current finish, once you get the look you like on your practice wood, gel stain, then polyurethane, (non-yellowing), and you may like what you have a whole lot more.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    I agree with most of the comments about modifying the mantle and retiling. Adding some fabric window treatments and co-ordinating throw pillows will also distract from the last pieces and pull your eyes towards the windows and furniture.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Lighter and brighter! Many choices of stone and tile to choose from.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Lighter and brighter! Many choices of stone and tile to choose from. http://www.swhomeremodeling.com/index.htm