Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve22802

Frosted

steve22802
11 years ago

I've woken to two frosty mornings this week. :( This morning it was 28F. Has anyone else been rescuing dahlia flowers from the frost lately?

{{gwi:660425}}

I've got some favorites covered so hopefully my season isn't completely done yet.

Comments (11)

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    11 years ago

That's a beautiful picture! I did the same thing last weekend but it turned out the frost didn't do as much damage as I had feared. Many of my dahlias just suffered some frozen leaves and are still blooming now.

I always hate to see the blooming season come to an end!

Linda

• oscarthecat
    11 years ago

heavy ground frost here in Baltimore County but only apparent damage to dahlias a few droopy looking petals. I do believe fall is upon us.

• steve22802
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm rather surprised (and pleased) that my dahlias sustained less frost damage than I expected. It appears that they are a bit hardier than I realized. :)

• bouquet_kansas
    11 years ago

I am so sad.......the dahlia season is over for me.
    We had one freezing night that did mine in.
    I had some huge buds on some that i was going to
    give bouquets of them to friends.
    I have to consol myself in the fact that i had some
    beautiful blooms to enter the fair with in Sept.
    that got me blue ribbons.
    carol

• jessewo
    11 years ago

We had a freeze here & everything turned to mush! I picked everything blooming before it happened, so I still have blooms. I'm rather new to Dahlias, but I've fallen in love with them & I know I'll add more next year! I dug the tubers, so I'll see them again next year!

• Missy, Traverse City, Mi Z5
    11 years ago

I picked huge bouquets one night last weekend because of a forcasted freeze. It didn't happen. But it did a couple of nights later and I lost almost all of my dahlias. SO SAD )-:

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

Steve, that photo is FABULOUS. Thought I'd pop in from my regular hang out - the rose forum, and I'm glad I did.

Dahlias have become my second flower love. I had a stunning white dahlia, with blooms about 8" in diameter, that met the demise of gophers. So, I replaced her with about 10 different varieties (all caged with chicken netting).

The snails cause me some havoc, but fortunately leave the blooms alone. Frost for me - happily at least another month away.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Most of my dahlias succumbed to frost a couple of weeks ago. Three pots were put in the garage so their buds could open completely. I've been enjoying their blooms . This past week has been above freezing so have been leaving them outside. I cut the large blooms for bouquets and left the smaller blooms on the plants. We are expecting snow at the end of the week and I will let these potted dahlias finish their season.

• mmstiner
    11 years ago

Steve I love your beauties! (thanks for sharing) I have dodged the bullet so far, Two light frosts, but have minimal damage. The multi-colored seem to have gone bonkers with the onset of cooler weather. Putting on a show before the Snow (dirty word) Monday. Gonna miss the babies.

• steve22802
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Surprisingly, my dahlias are still going even after 3 mornings where I woke to frost on the lawn and glass deck table. Apparently dahlias are more cold resistant than I realized! :) Some of the open flowers were damaged but the leaves weren't damaged much and new buds have continued to open. I've had temperatures down to 28F or 29F but I don't think it was for very long, maybe just a few hours early in the morning.

• stevelau1911
    11 years ago

Most of mine are fried, but I happened to take cuttings to root indoors before the first frost, and today I put leaf bags on top of the outdoor dahlias which seems to be the most effective way to over-winter them around here.

Here's a blog on some of my dahlia blooms over the summer. I have since collected many more species.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dahlia blog from over the summer