Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamlover

Your earliest dahlias to bloom???

jamlover
18 years ago

My season will end soon and several of my new dahlias Edna C, Millennium, Island View Twister, Bliss, and Camano Sitka probably are not going to have a chance to bloom.

I am interested in knowing your first 6 to bloom so I can add some of these earlier varieties to my collection and not have to worry will it make it or not. Some of my earlier blooms were on Kenora Superb (which it truly is) , Rose Toscano, Camano Ariel, Koral Rief, Hy Enid and Spartcus.

How do I do pictures?? I have them but haven't the foggiest idea as to how to put them in the forum. Jean

Comments (11)

• bernie__pa
    18 years ago

Jean, below are instructions for posting your photos. We are looking forward to seeing them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Posting to forums

• claykoplin
    18 years ago

My earliest to bloom (and many of mine won't make it this year, either):
    Patches
    Chilson's Pride
    Peaches
    Bellefleur
    Tomo
    Pat N Dee

As a sidenote, all of these are excellent cut flowers, Patches is the most prolific in my zone, and has 18" stems - an excellent cut flower, and my largest blossoms were 9" across.

• roseofsharon_on
    18 years ago

Gerri Hoek
    Tsuki Yori

These were my earliest and are still blooming fools.

Sharon

• jamlover
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the responses. Hope more will indicate some of their early ones. I hate it when the end is near and some are still waiting for whatever.

• judy1
    18 years ago

The earliest Dahlia I had blooming this past two years was a bright pink waterlily form called Leota Mace.It started blooming in July and is still blooming in spite of a slight frost. Another early one is Avalon.

• wblevin
    18 years ago

WOW - very interesting. In NJ - was a terrible year for dahlias. My Spartacus (2 tubers) didn't bloom until end of September and beginning of October. I have a lot of Kelvin Floodlight and by FAR, earliest, biggest and best bloomer of all my 125+ dahlias. I planted mid April and started getting KF blooms mid July and they are still going strong. Lavender Perfection, Vernon Rose, Glorioso (gorgeous varigated yellow/red) all did well too - blooming by end of July. Also Mrs. Eileen, although it is supposed to be an A or B and mine are all very small, max 4". Guess all depends on the weather! I still have quite a few that haven't bloomed and since we are expecting low 30s the next few days, I am praying it stays above that freezing mark!!

• jamlover
    Original Author
    18 years ago

What color is Avalon?

• judy1
    18 years ago

Avalon is an informal cactus. It is a yellow & pink blend. Pink outside yellow towards centre, it blooms a lot. It is like the energizer bunny.Another early bloomer here is Audrey Grace, a knockout orange red color; very unusual;one of the hottest colors in the garden.It is a formal decorative, 5 in. blooms, 5ft tall. I just love it, of course I say that about a lot of them.Another is Aztec Gold a 9 in.4 ft. semi cactus,golden yellow and it is also a prolofic bloomer.

• Tique Lo
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

China Doll

I just saw that this was from 12 years ago? lol, I'll still make my input since this thread gave me a lot of insight in what tubers to get next. My Kelvin Floodlight and China Doll bloomed from mid-June onwards and flowered in profusion until November when the frost hit. Here are the pics

Kelvin FLoodlight are the Big Yellow early and prolific blooms

• cicivacation
    7 years ago

Bloom time varies depending on your temperate region, how early they get started, size and petal count of bloom, what minerals and nutrients are available in your soil, etc etc. I grow hundreds of different varieties of dahlia every year, and I've never had the same varieties bloom first year to year. Normally they are the smaller blooms with minimal petal counts, and they are the ones that had the most time inside to grow.

However, I also top my plants to encourage bushiness and a stronger flush a couple weeks later, so that skews the 'first to bloom' average, too. I often nip the first buds because they are typically inferior, and I'd rather higher quality blooms later then unattractive lopsided ones early. Personal choice.

I've talked to growers that long ago gave up on Kelvin Floodlight as a late bloomer, then there's others that claim it is the first to bloom. It all depends on conditions that are not easily pinpointed.

Regardless, its great that you are excited about the new dahlia season, and have some old favorites you're eager to see again. Up with dahlias!

Cheers!

CiCi