Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tricia257_gw

Please help me select place for strawberries...

tricia257
12 years ago

I want to grow strawberries and I usually do all my edibles in pots but here in zone 5 I will need to find somewhere to put the containers in the winter. I can't put them in the garage as there is no room. I can put it outdoors near a wall and cover it with something??? How well do they do in pots in a cold zone like Chicago?

I am thinking it may be easier to take a small patch of ground and build a raised bed tower/ pyramid.

Unfortunately I have just recently decided I wanted to grow edibles and after all the space I've devoted to ornamentals there's not much room. DH will have a heart attack if I dig up any more lawn for planting beds. :) Thanks

Comments (2)

• georgeneschreiner
    12 years ago

Do you have any space where you can sink the pot into the garden over winter? I do that with my blueberries that are growing in pots and they winter through just fine. Maybe it will work for strawberries.

I think the major thing is having the strawberries in pots dry out over winter and sinking them into the ground with help with that issue.

• MyMonsters4Us
    12 years ago

I have mine in a raised bed and they wintered over perfectly, now they're growing with earnest. I can't comment on the pots... just potted my first plants yesterday and it's new to me. I best start reading up on potted plants and winter if I want all these plants that I just potted to survive this winter, I guess!

Sponsored