Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sazzyrose

Garden Pic's June 25th.

sazzyrose
16 years ago

My last Alstromeria has finally started to bloom.

Julietta

A few of my Dianthus are blooming their little hearts out.

Flashing Lights

Dwarf Double Pink

Barbatus

Spotted Cheddar Pink. (I love this one)

An unknown Penstemon.

Fleeceflower-Persicaria affinis 'Dimity'

Astrantia major 'Moulin Rouge'

I bought 3 different Astrantia this year. This is the first one to flower. I'm not totally impressed yet though. We'll see what the rest of the year brings.

Shelley

Comments (11)

• north53 Z2b MB
    16 years ago

Love the dianthus Shelley. I'm still waiting so see what my new deltoide mix looks like this year. They are just starting to flower. I've been remiss in picture taking this year. It seems like I take the same pictures every year, LOL.
    The weather here has been abnormally cool for June, but the perennials don't seem to mind.
    Here's a couple who're doing well right now.

Echium russicum

I seem to have clumps of heuchera everywhere:

Sanguisorba menziesii is still standing upright.

• savona
    16 years ago

Shelley your dianthus and pinks are so lovely..Im getting a few blooms on mine but it is sure slow here this year.Marie your garden looks so lush and full!
    a few odds and ends
    Bellis- habanera white with red tips
    {{gwi:711641}}
    yellow day lilies
    {{gwi:711643}}
    lupins and Rhein nixe iris
    {{gwi:711645}}
    scabiosa just starting to bloom
    {{gwi:711647}}
    savona

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

I love that dianthus too! Wow! Can i beg for seeds, Shelley? :)

Here's one clump of my Arctic Fire - this one is coming up all over the place:

I can't remember which veronica this is, but it was winter-sown two years ago:

Is this Clustered Bellflower? This stuff is invasive, isn't it? What should i do to control it, besides deadhead?

Mountain lilies. I knew i planted these somewhere. Now i know where.

Penstemon 'Husker Red'. I wish it was red! But i like it anyway. Also winter sown a few years ago. Notice the extra eavestrough - the rain just won't quit!

Polemonium 'Heavenly Habit'. I really like the blue.

White flowers blooming:

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Very nice everyone!

Marcia, the clustered bellflower also spreads by the roots. I've dug out a bunch of it this spring to keep it somewhat contained, but I can see myself getting rid of it totally one of these years.

Here's a few pics from my garden.

The small sedums are blooming now.
    {{gwi:711664}}
    {{gwi:711666}}

I've lost the name for this little allium, but it's spreading around nicely....I quite like it.

Ninebark 'Diablo' is almost done blooming. I should have gotten a picture earlier in the week before all the wind and rain hit it.

Heuchera 'Splendens' blooming. I've had it for quite a few years already, and it sure doesn't get to be as big a clump as some of the ones that have been posted on here.:(
    {{gwi:711670}}

Campanula 'Sarastro'. This one is a real show stopper....the flowers are really quite big.

Laurie

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

Laurie, your pink allium's name is Ostrowskianum or Alpine Rosy Bells. I have the Moly (yellow) and the pink ones also. The yellow stonecrop sedum has such perfect pure yellow flowers. I brought some to the farmer's market last Saturday and everyone of them sold, I think because of the flowers.

Laurie, it is a 'Sarasota'. For a zone 5 plant isn't it doing great? Every one of the little divisions I planted last year without any extra winter protection on them
    also came through the winter. I love the large purple flowers on them. 'Elizabeth' I got from you last year has just started blooming also.

Marcia, I have never had the clustered bell flower reseed. It is terrible for sending underground runners and I am also thinking of getting rid of it completely too. But then, it blooms such a pretty purple and does make quite the display of color in the bed where it is planted.

Marcia, your wintersown 'husker's red' seems to be a lot greener than it should be. The foliage should be red and the flowers white.

Great pictures everyone! I am enjoying them!

Brenda

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Your Campanula is lovely Laurie. I also have a Heuchera Spendens. It isn't overly aggressive. For this reason I have never tried any others. Maybe I should give them a shot if some of your other ones are clumping up better.
    Marcia, I can try saving seed on the dianthus. I'm sure some will not be true to seed though. I'm going to try rooting some cutting on the spotted cheddar and double dwarf pink shortly to see what happens.
    I saved seed from my Raspberry Dianthus last year.I have quite a few different flower color variation from those seeds.
    Lovely pictures everyone.
    Shelley

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

Brenda, my notes for winter sowing that year say that i planted "Penstemon strictus" and "Penstemon hirsutus" - the seed was from a trade, i believe. Of course the year after it was planted, i had no idea what it was, but someone told me it was Husker's Red and i believed them! :) I did wonder why it would be called that when there was nothing red about it!

• bemidjigreen
    16 years ago

Very nice pics everyone! I always love these threads and decided I should start chipping in this year.

My morden and prairie joy roses, poppies, flax and peonies are all finished blooming. I didn't take pics of the rambler red and baffin roses that are still blooming but here are my pics so far of what's in bloom this week in the far far north of Minnesota:

Chinese Delphinium
    {{gwi:711673}}

Clarkia has started to bloom this week:
    {{gwi:711674}}

Datura-devils trumpet
    {{gwi:711675}}

Echinacea paradox
    {{gwi:711676}}

hollyhocks (fig var.)
    {{gwi:711677}}

My new mock orange--MN snowflake planted last fall. It was in tough shape when I bought it...but it made it and came back this year with a few blooms even!
    {{gwi:711678}}

Delphs have been at it full force for the last week or more:
    {{gwi:711679}}

After a neighbor suggested that I should make my garden bigger I put in a new bed. I had been thinking of turning my back yard into a courtyard....so this is as far as I got so far this summer.
    {{gwi:711681}}

{{gwi:711683}}

My back sure paid for this effort. Moved 1.5 cubic yards of dirt by hand (not including the compost I had made last year), removed and turned about 80 sq feet of sod, cut about 40 landscape timbers.....and still I have half of this project to do yet. But the back can't take it, so I think I will be patient and just bump off the rest of the sod with the lasagna method.

I put lots of annuals planted in here along with the perennials. So there will be some color soon--some zinnia buds have opened and the calendula buds are about to open.

• bemidjigreen
    16 years ago

Very nice pics everyone! I always love these threads and decided I should start chipping in this year.

My morden and prairie joy roses, poppies, flax and peonies are all finished blooming. I didn't take pics of the rambler red and baffin roses that are still blooming but here are my pics so far of what's in bloom this week in the far far north of Minnesota:

Chinese Delphinium
    {{gwi:711673}}

Clarkia has started to bloom this week:
    {{gwi:711674}}

Datura-devils trumpet
    {{gwi:711675}}

Echinacea paradox
    {{gwi:711676}}

hollyhocks (fig var.)
    {{gwi:711677}}

My new mock orange--MN snowflake planted last fall. It was in tough shape when I bought it...but it made it and came back this year with a few blooms even!
    {{gwi:711678}}

Delphs have been at it full force for the last week or more:
    {{gwi:711679}}

After a neighbor suggested that I should make my garden bigger I put in a new bed. I had been thinking of turning my back yard into a courtyard....so this is as far as I got so far this summer.
    {{gwi:711681}}

{{gwi:711683}}

My back sure paid for this effort. Moved 1.5 cubic yards of dirt by hand (not including the compost I had made last year), removed and turned about 80 sq feet of sod, cut about 40 landscape timbers.....and still I have half of this project to do yet. But the back can't take it, so I think I will be patient and just bump off the rest of the sod with the lasagna method.

I put lots of annuals planted in here along with the perennials. So there will be some color soon--some zinnia buds have opened and the calendula buds are about to open.

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Glad to see you join in bemidjigreen, I sure like the colour of your hollyhocks!

{{gwi:541238}}
    Papaver orientale Scarlet Red, the flowers of this one are HUGE!

More at my photobucket.

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Week of June 24

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

Great mix of blues in your Delphinium bed, Bemidjigreen.

Sharon, the color of that poppy is totally to die for! Just beautiful.
    Here's a few blooms from up north...

Dames Rockets adn Shasta Daisies

Million Bells...Terra Cotta maybe?

More Million Bells

Canada Columbine

Bad Kitty! But still cute.

Lady's Mantle...I am really liking this plant and its so lovely when its covered in water drops after a rain.

Geranium, Vision Pink...this has a low spreading habit.

Scavola

Stocks

Is this Russian Stonecrop? It has very small leaves and very low growing.

I thought these colors made a nice contrast, Nicotiana Perfume Mix and Blue Flax

Orange Pansy...Love these!