skeena_gw

Deluxe Hedge Pruning - A Touch Too Much?

Skeena

Each Fall season I tackle my hedge trimming chores, armed only with clippers and hand-shears. I've had many helpful hints about power shears, but they don't do as precise a job.

As to the title of this post, what I've done is taken the principle of shearing into a basic cone shape, and applied that to the Thuja occidentalis 'Smaragd' trees in my border. Each one is shaped slightly differently on top, and I've tried to create a look of individual trees in the hedge, rather than the typical uniform style people create.

Here are a couple pre-trim pictures:

The idea is to create a natural look as a background for your conifer display. Here are a few shots of the finished product:

Like I said, there have been some critics who think it's a bit of an over-kill. So this is intended for a those who might appreciate the end result. Does anyone else use a similar style?