jane__ny

Tiny Bugs in Kitchen

jane__ny

What are these? They are running around my kitchen counter and up the back splash. They are so small, we couldn't tell if they were some sort of ant. We had to take photo and blow it up to see. I can't seem to get the photo to appear enlarged on this forum.

They seem to hang out near the faucet. We tried Borax but they run over it. They don't seem interested in food (so far).

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jane

• Viv2014

I was shown a house in TX that had the buggers around the sink. They do look like weevils. I lived in TN for 20 years; and because of weevils getting into meals, flours, etc. (from the heat) I still keep those things in my frig. The TX house shown to us had been empty for a while; and it looked like everytime my husband smashed one of the bugs with a piece of paper others would come up from the drain with the garbage disposal on it. This thing doesn't have an ants body or wings. Nor is the sink at a window. Gave me the creeps. Sad... I liked the house.

• Kasima

I mix up boric acid with white Karo syrup and put it onto little pieces of paper all along their path. Within a couple of days, they are gone and never come back.

Was: Tiny, Ugly Kitchen; Now: Tiny, Cool Kitchen

great use of white in the kitchen, really opens it up - well done :)

Tiny Tiny Kitchen

Gosh, just lowering that former bar to make one big counter gave you a lot more usable counter space. It also makes everything look more spacious! I like what you did with the coffee, though I have to admit I didn't even notice the coffee clutter in the first picture because I was so busy (enviously) looking at your pantry cupboard :-)

Tiny shared kitchen and living room layout dilemma!

Rinqreation second plan would be a lot cheaper than you think! Even cheaper than going out to buy new furniture. You could use all your current furniture. Drywall is $8.48 a sheet. You need four =$33.92 Then 2X4 wood studs 2.72. You need ten =$27.20 Total $61.12 plus tax Now of course this is a temporary fix. Exactly what you need. Best thing for your budget. Also wall can be taken down with just patching a few holes in case your family grows and you decide to move or if it stays the same and you save up to get the home you desire. Unfortunately my budget is just like yours. I wait every year for income tax to tweak my home every year. I wish you the best of luck. Too bad we didn't live close...I love taking on DIY projects. I would love to help do this for someone. Wall would take an hour to build. Just nailing some 2X4 together. Nailing it into place than drywall. Finally paint and it'll looks awesome! If you could spare a few dollars more add baseboard but not necessary because furniture will more than likely cover it.

Gloss or matte kitchen cabinet for a tiny kitchen

It should be fine, if you look at adding under cabinet lighting in order to bring dimension into the small space. And even over cabinet lighting if you aren't going to the ceiling.
  • pennygrace1

My counter top is light speckled. At first I thought my pressure was up then realized there is something moving and moving fast!! I hate spiders ants and mosquitos as we live near a lake. I got these same little ant like creatures around my sink as well. Lord knows I love to keep cakes or a pie out for unanounced guest. I put everything in fridge now until I discovered a couple on floor around bathroom toilet. OMG WHAT DO I DO? Help please!

MISSISSIPPI BLUES

• writersblock (9b/10a)

Same as Jane--go find some Terro. Lowes usually has it, if there's a Lowes in your area.

• Halfway There

Yes Terro works wonders. Don't give in to the temptation to kill them while they are feasting on it. They need to bring it back to the nest and share it and kill everyone LOL. It's harmless to us. I believe the "killing" ingredient is Borax.

• Steph M

So I have a craft room and these stupid bugs have made a hole quite sizable for there size in the corner of the ceiling I've sprayed bug killer and I didn't see them for a while and today they came back.. idk what they are but I want them gone I've also seen them on our big trash can outside.. they aren't really after anything they are just kinda spread out through the floor and the table but they are only on one side of the room. I do have a large juke rug covering 80% of the floor

• dirtygardener73

If they're making holes, it's probably termites. Ants don't usually make holes.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Could be a rodent made the hole & the insects are just taking advantage....?

• Cora LaRiviere

Glad to have found this site ! I am also dealing with super quick tiny Lil bugs around my sink and stove and coffee pot oh and in back oh my washer ,so I'm going to try a few of the ideas I've read on here and see how it goes

• writersblock (9b/10a)

If they're around your sink and washer they may be drain flies.

• Shaun Davis

Ants are quite distinctive in build. Its hard to tell from this pic, but if they are closer in appearence to a long single body (beatle-esque) rather than the typical ant (head, thorax, abdomen w/ head distinctively larger than thorax) than they are possibly/likely Asian cockroaches or German cockroaches. They are tiny and typically dwell in kitchen/sink areas.

My husband discovered them on the kitchen counter early in the morning. Kitchen is clean and counters wiped down before bed every night. Just the other day he left his work shoes in the back hall and noticed them near his shoes. He passes through a greasy storage area constantly at work. I needed to get my reader on order to see them. I will be trying the suggestion I read to see if I can get rid of these micro tiny bugs.

last year

Here is how to rid yourself of these pests, it’s so simple...Avon skin so soft bath oil! Seriously! And it’s safe.

These little tiny guys have made their appearance every summer for the last three years in both my bathroom and kitchen. In the recesses If my memory I recalled that this product was a successful bug deterrent, so I bought and use it. It works! Honestly! Spray or wipe around your counters, coffee pot, water sources, and you’ll see, they’ll disappear!

• Hakin
    last year
    last modified: last year

I have these tiny little ants. They are fast and don't behave like the normal kitchen ants. Has anyone had success in getting rid of them?

• dirtygardener
    last year

I always heard them called crazy ants. I mix borax, shortening and syrup together so it attracts anything. I put it on little squares of cardboard (I cut up cereal boxes) all around close to where they are coming in, and they're usually gone within a day.

My kitchen has no unsealed foodstuffs so I was surprised to see, increasingly, tiny black bugs on the counters. I never did learn what those tiny invaders were, but here's how I easily got rid of them: Raid Ant & Roach spray, lemon-scented, approx $2 at Walmart.

I first sprayed the walls behind the counters & sink, being carefull not to spray the counters & sink themselves, as we handle food there. That stopped them from the counters but then the little critters began appearing on the kitchen & bathroom floors, so I sprayed thoroughly the ege of those floors, especially under and behind the counters, stove & fridge. I even sprayed Raid Wasp & Hornet Killer into the stove's exhaust-fan vent. (The insects carry the wasp spray into their nest, where it kills them all. I don't know if ant spray does this.) Anyway, it's been ;3 days since I saw a bug. I believe they're gone for good but if any new-hatched appear, I've got my trusty Raid Ant spray and I'm not afraid to use it.

• Joyce Lamoureaux

I found clear tiny bugs in sink

• Joyce Burt

@jane__ I know this post is old, but I can't believe I found a photo of EXACTLY what I have! They're definitely not ants! They are so tiny & move around super fast like fleas, but they aren't. Some posts have called them drain flies, drain moths, filter flies, etc. Hope I can get rid of them!!

• Joyce Burt

My above comment was incorrect about drain flies & drain moths. Both have wings & what I'm seeing doesn't have wings.

• cybrnook2002

@Joyce Burt my wife and I are dealing with something similar. It's spring time/early summer here is SE Michigan at the moment. We notice normally in the mornings, but technically can be in the evenings too, little little little tiny black looking visitors in the kitchen sink. Seems whether the sink is dry or wet, they come and just hang out. It's really hard to tell, like you I self diagnosed them first as drain flies but now I am not so sure. I tried different organic neutralizing gels down the drain and garbage disposal, no difference. I tried cleaning out the garbage disposal, no difference. Even clean out the P-Trap and line last weekend (Ewww), but alas no difference. So I don't think it's something in the lines that's attracting them, so not sure it's drain flies anymore. It's really hard to tell because they are SOOOOOOO SMALL, smaller than a flea like you said, and fast. But not faster than my finger and paper towel :-)

So, the last idea I have is we leave a light on above the sink at night to keep some light going in the house. I am starting to wonder if this is some outside bug that is attracted to the light at night time and is making it's way in through the nooks and crannies of the kitchen sink bay windows. Tonight I will try the same process, cap the drain, dry the sink, and now turn the light off?

• cybrnook2002

@Joyce Burt I think my research is done :-) Though not sure I am excited at the outcome. I was able to get up close and personal with one, and then took another photo just for size perspective. Ends up looking like what I am seeing is "springtails", and they appear to be a pita. Looks like they crave moisture, more often than not come in from outdoors and wet soil, and can live in drain pipes.

This was a good article, with some supplies that I ordered to give it a whirl, fingers crossed.

https://www.bugspray.net/blog/springtail-infestations-and-where-to-treat.html#451292

• jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a )

If all else fails, go to Walmart and buy a box of four spray cans called " NO-PEST FOGGER " Spread the 4 cans throughout the house and just follow directions.

You'll close all windows/doors, go outside and come back a minimum of 3 + hrs later,...case closed. No mas problema ! Works for me ! :o)

• bea (zone 9a -Jax area)

Jane this must be one of the most popular threads other than what doesn’t grow in Florida. LOL

jane__ny thanked bea (zone 9a -Jax area)
  • Mira Patel

Anyone know what these little tiny (size of a marker tip) bugs are. They are only on the kitchen counter and not in any cabinets. We keep the counters clean with vinegar and these bugs are there in the evening time but do not show up during the day. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

• Juana Hernandez

Hey Mira, we have the exact same thing in our house. Did you find out what it is?

• Mira Patel

No, I am hoping that someone knows. We found out its coming through our windows. We have new windows and they shouldn't be able to come in but since they are so tiny, it's finding a way in. For now, we taped our windows to stop them from coming in. Let me know if you find out

• darrah Rachman

Can anyone help identify these TINY TINY bugs? They were first found on the countertop-- they were so small we assumed they were coffee grounds! We did notice that they got into our Flour and oats, but that has all since been cleaned and thoroughly wiped down. We don't know where they are coming from by applied caulk to any small hole that we saw in our apartment-- did not work, as they are still appearing. We also tried Ant and Roach killer.

• Brenda Frazier

Omg, this article is so helpful, I've never seen these tiny, tiny, bugs before and they are all over my kitchen counter and wall and in the bathroom sink and counters, I thought they were some kind of lice, thank God I Googled this, 💗 💗 time for raid thank you all 💖

• jane__ny

Bea, I can't believe its still running after 8 yrs. We had just moved to Florida and were staying at a family members condo.

Now we have our own house and I've run into ants of all sorts, inside and out. I'm getting used to Florida bugs now!

Jane

• fran2766

I'm so glad that I discovered this thread. I've been having the same problem with these teeny bugs for several summers. So far, nothing I've tried - washing the counter with vinegar, placing ant traps, cursing, pleading - has helped, but you all have given me some more ideas. Thanks.

• Tony Rodriguez

So I’m just going to chime in since this seems to be the most popular feed on the planet .. I have some in Maryland, in my kitchen and respectively by the sliding door which leads to the deck which I am learning after just buying the house has water issues under the deck up against the house .. if it helps, the soil where I live is primarily sand and in that area, moist. I also recently had a place in south Florida which I saw these EXACT bugs .. they look like pieces of sand moving around .. not built like an ant but smaller than an ant .. hoping I can get rid of them .. I plan on sealing our crawl space, removing the deck and putting pavers or a concrete slab going right up against the house .. wish me luck and I’ll be back soon!

• Mira Patel

If anyone has a solution, please post. Thank you!

• snickerdoodle97

I just moved to Fl and have these everywhere. When I try to google they are all close up pics and you can’t really tell what they are. But I found a far away pic of a Ghost Ant and might be them. These ant things are so tiny in my house that they are to identify on google, but the pics you guys are posting are what are in my house.

• irma_stpete_10a

This works overnight for me with house ants: "Amdro Fire Ant Bait" which kills also "imported and native and other ants".

It is tiny granules. I put a tablespoonful in the corner by my sliding kitchen door where they enter (in lines to the cat food dish), and within hours they are carrying the granules away to their nest to feed (and kill) the queen. A couple of days of this and they don't return for weeks or months (depending on the weather).

For ants on my kitchen counter or stove, I drop the granules down the gap between stove and counter (maybe better installed stoves don't have this gap on each side?). I also put a few granules on top to watch and make sure that type ant is attracted and will cart them away.

• BM Whelan

I am having problems with these tiny bugs for the past 2 weeks. I keep my kitchen clean so they are not able to eat food.
    I have started using Raid Ant & Roach spray.
    I did get some pics and sent to our big man. He said they are Ghost Ants! He will be here in 3 days to eliminate them.

• BM Whelan

I forgot to post pics

• BM Whelan

The Bug Man came - they are GHOST ANTS.

Advion Ant Bait Gel is what he used. They take the bait back to their nests and they die .

• Mary W 9b

We had ghost ants 2 weeks ago. I bought some terro liquid ant bait traps and the ants were gone in about 3 days. They were in the cabinet above the stove where I had 2 jars of peanut butter. The jars had been open so the inner seal was removed. But the lids were on TIGHT. The darn ghost ants were so tiny they somehow got into the peanut butter even though the lids were on. They don't sting but they do bite and boy does it itch!

• Hodgeabm

Mira and Juana I have the exact same issue as you. Did you ever find a solution?

orkin says theyre silverfish and they used a dust inside my outlets but they don’t look like silverfish to me.

• Mira Patel

i taped my windows up as we saw few coming in through the windows in the evening and washed my sliding throughly. Then the weather also got cooler and they stopped. So not sure if it was the sliding or weather. From all the pics I looked up, it looks closest to a springtail. I’m hoping that they don’t come back otherwise I’m back in this message board asking the same questions lol Hope this helps

• Hodgeabm

Thanks so much Mira. We live in house that was built 2019 and upon noticing them we found that our windows weren’t sealed all around so we caulked every window even the base boards. I’ve resulted to dusting my kitchen counter with diatemacious earth. My husband is so annoyed and I am so mentally exhausted from trying to fight them. Seems like the DE is resulting in a bunch of dead ones I have yet to see any alive, but I’m terrified that the moment I vacuum up the dust I’m going to be seeing them again. Orkin initially said their dust is slow acting but im hoping they will have another option for me when they come out for my next treatment this Friday.

• Mira Patel

Good luck! Trying power washing your sliding outside. Hopefully all works out for you!

I have the same problem in my kitchen by my sink and bathroom is where they started now they are on my table and even in my room crawling on my bed I tried the hotel ant traps and they don't work. I heard cream of tarter is supposed to do something so I bought that and some raid ant gel, let's see how it goes.

• Mira Patel

Try baking soda and vinegar in the sink and bathroom drain overnight and tape up the drain. next day take the tape off and put hot water to clean it. Or have your drains cleaned out. Just a thought.

Thank you I will try

• Mary Rubio

I have something very similar-it looks like there are specs of pepper on my kitchen counter. The difference is that there are not a bunch of them gathered together and they are not moving. I have to take a photo with my cell phone magnify it and then enlarge it to see that it is some thing that is alive. I still can’t quite make out what it is but I know for certain that it is not an ant. They do not look like any familiar insect. Any ideas? Here is a photo.

• Shaun Davis

I don't see any physical attributes of any insect on your finger in that pic. Being that none of them are moving, is that potentially feces of another infestation?

• BM Whelan

These are called “Ghost Ants”! I had them in my kitchen in August /September.
    They are coming from outside and have a nest. Our bug man treated them with Advion . He only treated them inside my home initially.
    I kept sending my bug man messages that they were not going away. He said give them time and I kept on putting out the Advion and they ate it up.
    The problem - they had a huge nest outside.
    Once we located it - the bug man came out and sprayed. It took about 1 week before they were totally gone.
    I live in Montgomery Texas and we use Bugtime Pest Control in Humble Texas.
    Good Luck
    PS - do a Google search for Ghost Ants

Have you used any conventional fertilizers on your plants? you should add worms to your plants, their poo is known to combat bugs, https://foothillsierragarden.com/collections/all