goldfishliberator

Jam Question

goldfishliberator

Hi Friends,

I have a peach tree in my backyard and decided that I would try to make the fruit into jam this year. I am a jam newbie and so have been doing my research. I've ordered the jars and arranged for a big stainless steel pot. I decided I would use Pomona Pectin since all the reviews are so sparkling, and I also like the option of using less/no sugar or an alternative sweetener. And of course, I have read up on food safety and proper processing.

That said, here is the issue I haven't been able to get quite clear on: I am concerned about the fridge life after being opened if I don't use sugar. I keep reading that the sugar extends the fridge life of the jam, preventing mold, etc. So the three options I am considering are low sugar (maybe 3/4-1 cup of sugar for 4 cups of fruit), Splenda (same as sugar amount), or honey (1/2 cup for 4 cups fruit). What would be the average shelf life for each of these options? Specifically, I'm wondering if Splenda has the same preservative effect that sugar has, "because it's made from sugar." (TM) :)

I really don't want to use sugar because I think a wider group of people will appreciate the jam if I use Splenda or Honey. If it doesn't make a difference for fridge-life if I use Splenda or honey, I would prefer to use honey. I'm just balancing the fridge-life vs. non-sugar sweetner decision.