Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joy_unspeakable_gw

Frozen Pecans

joy_unspeakable
12 years ago

I found a bag of frozen pecans in the freezer. They are shelled and packed in a FoodSaver bag. They have the potential of being a couple of years old (at least two years but less than 5). Any issues with eating these?

I've looked up recommended freezer storage times but I've eaten fruit that was frozen a LONG TIME AGO! Didn't know if there was a safety issue with nuts, or if they could still become rancid while frozen.

Thanks so much!

~ Tracy

Comments (9)

• Linda_Lou
    12 years ago

It is not a safety issue with frozen things, just a possible quality issue. They should be just fine !

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

I've kept pecans and walnuts frozen 2 years, you'd never know they'd been frozen at all (manual defrost, not cycling self defrosting freezer). Taste one before using them or adding to other ingredients, you'll know...

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Agree - it is a quality/taste issue not a safety one.

Dave

• denninmi
    12 years ago

Yes, you'll know by tasting them. Two things can go wrong -- the fat in them can turn rancid with age and exposure to oxygen, making them taste stale. They also could pick up the odor and flavor of pungent foods in the same freezer, such as onions, peppers, or garlic.

If they are marginal, with just a slight "stale" or "off" flavor, you may be able to revive them by roasting in a medium oven with a light coating of neutral vegetable oil and possibly a little salt.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    12 years ago

> I've kept pecans and walnuts frozen 2 years, you'd never know they'd been frozen at all (manual defrost, not cycling self defrosting freezer). Taste one before using them or adding to other ingredients, you'll know...

I agree. A few walnuts are part of my daily diet and both freeze incredibly well. For a special treat try toasting pecans or walnuts before vac sealing them for the freezer.

• joy_unspeakable
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the quick responses! They tasted fine, so I used them for baking.

• Saunders Middleton
    3 months ago

I have eaten 4 year old frozen pecans that were still good but have a bag of 5 year olds that don't taste so good......I put them out at my bird feeders and they eat them

• Bill Uthoff
    2 months ago

I have approximatly 15 year old frozen pecans (maybe even older). Put them in the microwave and heat them for a couple of miniutes. Still have that pecan cruch and flavor - even better heated!