Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davidmgeary

Busy lizzie

DavidmGeary
9 years ago

The most exotic busy lizzie in my collection.

Comments (9)

• DavidmGeary
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The big picture

• patchyjack
    9 years ago

Oooh cool!
    I don't know if I'd call that a busy lizzie, though!

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    9 years ago

When you don't see the plant in bud as here, it is easy to think it might be the old-fashioned busy lizzie - it happened to me before - I got a surprise when the buds and blooms appeared.

• DavidmGeary
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is not a picture of the old Fashioned Busy lizzy ..this is a hybrid busy lizzy with a strange yellow and red blossom i don't know much about this variety but it is most definitely a busy lizzy you need only look at the foliage (leaves) to see that it is an impatien...of the hybrid variety ..the old Fashioned Busy lizzy with small pink blossoms can grow much taller i have one that measures 5 feet tall this is the one that i refer to as the old Fashioned pink busy lizzy ....i hope this helps ...i will post a collection of all the different varieties that i have soon as i can...

• patchyjack
    9 years ago

David, that's no busy lizzie (Impatiens Walleriana), and it's not a hybrid either.
    You were right in thinking it's an Impatiens, though!
    What you have there is another member of the Impatiens genus, Impatiens Niamniamensis.

It's an absolutely great little perennial. I have one on a sunny window sill indoors and it flowers almost all the time. It grows from cuttings like a busy lizzie too.

• patchyjack
    9 years ago

No sweat, David.
    I'd love cuttings but I live in Australia, and customs wouldn't allow it. It's a shame because real old Busy Lizzies are hard to come by!

• DavidmGeary
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ah that's a shame this is the old fashioned busy lizzy that i grew from a cutting...this is where my passion for impatiens started...anyway with your climate in Australia i bet you can grow some great plants.thanks again for the info they say you learn something new every day and today i did.....take it easy Jack
    regards David

• CHRISTINA JONES
    3 years ago

Hi,

Are there any cuttings available please

Regards

Chris

Sponsored