Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
obsidianights

New to Hydroponics

16 years ago

I am new to hydroponics and I am getting over whelmed by all the information. I am not new to gardening and have a beautiful garden that I totally love. So does every pest in Tx. That coupled with really hot summers and a strong desire to have crops all year long has brought Me to hydroponics.

I have purchased to set-ups, which I am expecting any day now, to get Me started in the right direction and all the goodies needed to plant My first victims, but I now want to plant some Wheatgrass using hydroponics and all the information is getting the best of Me, because I am get to many open ended statements. Like use a good this or that but leaving it to Me to choose, and I don't even know what they are talking about.

I need help can some one take Me from start to finish growing Wheatgrass with hydroponics. I need it for health reasons.

Thank you

Obsidian )O(

Comments (6)

• 16 years ago

Hi, Obsidian.

Also from Texas and new to Hydroponics. I am anxious to see someone answer your response because I'm also interested in the wheat grass.

• 16 years ago

for any kind of grass, I would use an ebb n flo system with a perlite medium.
    Just make sure it fills slowly so things don't move around too much.

• 15 years ago

Hello,
    If you want to grow wheatgrass, follow the instructions for sprouting seeds. Put the seeds partially covered in water on a big flat plate, change the water daily. Grass ready in 1-2 weeks. Will rot after that.

I dealt with information overload too. The simplest answer to this is - try something/anything. You should be surprised to find that almost everything works if you can get the seeds to sprout.

• 15 years ago

I seen your post there obsidian. Hydroponics is an amazing combo of science and nature. Dude don't let it overwhelm you it's not that hard. U said that your not new to gardening. Well u already know u only need three things to make plants grow. Light, water , and nutrients...right? I am curious though why you would wanna start with something like wheat grass though. Email me sometime and we can see what ya working with.. brian041482@yahoo. Be glad to help, cuz i am also a hydor enthusiast myself.

• 15 years ago

Why don't you just Google search "grass and sprout growing"(without the quotes) Plenty of sites that should be of interest to you.

• 15 years ago

You said that you ordered two hydroponic systems. What kind are they? Are you using any lights? If so, you might take a look at the growing under lights forum. I think there might also be a forum on gardenweb just for growing sprouts and other health foods. But generaly, seeds contain everything they need to grow through the early stages. If you have the time, add some more information about the equipment you are going to use, and the light source. That way, someone here who is doing something simular can give you some tips from their own expirence. At the top of this page you will see a search box. Type wheat grass in it and you will see some postings just about wheat grass growing. chuck