Software
Houzz Logo Print
terricangialosi

Entry Way redo-closets too ugly! help

14 years ago
I am looking to spiff up my foyer. What can I do with the ugly white closet doors? Faux wood paint job? Paint black or aqua? Buy new ones. Waa.
Also need area rug ideas. Oval? Should it cover the majority of the area? or just middle?
Paint color seems too dark now, may go back to builders tan of off white and bring color with decor.. I would love crazy bright tiles going up stairs but my hubby is too chicken. Any thoughts?
Thanks Houzz Gurus!
Terri

Comments (18)

  • 14 years ago
    I agree with Lori, black doors would be amazing. Black would go well with your wall color and you do have some wrought iron already, great choice.
  • 14 years ago
    Why not paint the same color as the walls, so it will blend in, and then get some great big black handles. Keep it simple so that not one thing sticks out. Go to rugs.com and look at all the choices of area rugs. Have fun
  • 14 years ago
    WEll if you want to make the doors disappear, paint them the same color as the walls. Square or rectangle for rug--because you do have plenty of curves: stairs, wall, arched , mirror, etc. CheerS
  • 14 years ago
    I forgot about the stairs, I agree with you, tiles on the front of the steps would look great, maybe every other step. Why paint, the color looks very dramatic and the if you add tiles, Wow
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Install a sliding door, dark. Something like the pick. Make it stand out like you meant it to be there. Like art!
  • 14 years ago
    Closet doors seem too stark a color contrast to the walls. Tone down the trim paint.
    What's faux paint wood? furniture?
    Your stair and wrought iron is beautiful, why add a distracting element like crazy tiles?
    I might cover the stairs with carpeting before the area rug by door.
    Wall color is OK, but I prefer lighter tones.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Saw this and it just reminded me of your space-thought I'd post it...[houzz=
    Traditional Kathy Ireland Washington Square Multi 1'10" x 3' Area R · More Info
    ]
  • 14 years ago
    Lori is right on target in the first comment, plus paint that white vent above the closet doors the same color as the walls! And You may want to lower the round mirror a bit. :) Love the entrance too...beautiful! That staircase and railing are gorgeous!!!
  • 14 years ago
    lighting ideas?? These are all from Steven Handelman Studios....they also do custom work and you can select which glass color and finish you would like to use as well on their light fixtures etc. They are not inexpensive, but wanted to show some examples that may work in your foyer.
    You could also go antique store, junk store and consignment store hopping one day and may run across something like these style-wise. Even if they are brass or whatever, you can spray paint them to go with your wrought iron and change out glass pieces (if any) to whatever color you like.
    You may also have a local ironsmith that does artistic fixtures that you could work with locally!
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Off to a great start. Your table and mirror when looking at that wall the mirror seems to be placed a little high. Lowering it maybe 6''.... and accessorize the table. It is a major focal point...a nice table lamp and a couple small accessories will finish off that part of the space nicely.

    For your closet doors they are a bit of an eye sore because they are bright white. I don't know your budget but I think wooden closet doors similar to your front door and a wrought iron front door would look beautiful. Your stair railing is fabulous and if you could use that material again (front door for example) would be breath taking!

    I like your suggestion of tiles going up the stairs I can picture them in this space. If your husband is against it then maybe a happy medium would be a stair runner...I picture brighter colors bold pattern.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    What a lovely foyer! Love that! I one saw a DIY project that the home owner took off the entire closet door in the foryer. Inside of the closet space, she arranged a top cabinet and small bench like those you see from potterybarn or jcpenny. on side of the the closet wall, she hang a couple of pictures. It became such interesing space and also very useful.
  • 14 years ago
    like this inside of the open closet without the door.
  • 14 years ago
    Your front door is wonderful, perhaps you can remove paint and stain to match. Also, don't forget to paint the heat vent above the doors to match the walls!

    I think the items at the bottom of the stairs, the chest and mirror are both too small for impact. ( I would use the chest as an end table for the blue sofa. ) That narrow tall wall needs something vertical: a tall furniture piece, large mirror or art.

    Or, perhaps that chest would work better in its current spot, if it were topped with two or three very tall candle sticks or lamp, backed by a tall rectangular mirror.
  • 11 years ago
    I would paint the walls a gray tone...in the pic, that seems to be the color of the floor tile. Then the white wouldn't be the sore thumb in the room. I don't follow the concept of the brown-tone walls with the gray tiles, but maybe there is something I am not seeing in your pic.
  • 11 years ago
    I LOVE your curving bannister!
  • 11 years ago
    I would paint the doors a dark color, deep chocolate brown or black...
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Changing the light fixtures is an easy way to upgrade the look of the space. Here are some lighting ideas for entry way.
    We can design the chandelier with any number of pendants, and any length, according to the space.
    If you would like to receive our catalog by email, you can contact Sales@GalileeLighting.com