Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrslick

Rain, Rain and more Rain

I am very happy, we finally got rain and man did it rain! We ended up with over 4 inches for the whole rain event. My parents, 30 minutes south of me ended up with over 8 inches since last Thursday. It started for us on Saturday morning, before the farmers market and showered just about the whole time. Luckily it was still ok with sales. Then it stopped that afternoon. I was able to work up some raised bed I made several weeks ago and got radishes, turnips, kale and winter carrots planted. Then it started raining Saturday night/Sunday morning and didn't stop until Monday night. There were a few breaks, but not many. It was a slow, gentle shower. We finally started to get some run off on Monday. The rest of the time it just soaked in. It has also been cold, by July in Kansas standards. My high tunnel sides have been down since Friday night. I just put them up this evening! We have had highs in the 60's and lows in the low 50's. I actually wore a sweatshirt!

I am a little concerned about my melons. Many are almost ready and I hope they don't start splitting. I have kept them very well watered, but who knows!

I am excited for our fall/winter plantings. We have never had this much moisture at the end of July (at least in the last 9 years)

Just thought I would share. Smiles are all around at this farm and the boots are muddy!

Jay

Comments (9)

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Glad you finally got some beneficial rain. Be careful what you ask for.

• Rio_Grande
    10 years ago

Good to hear. It appears we have swapped weather. Our drip irrigation has been putting out about 1000 gal a day for the last week and I am not sure we are keeping up. Everything looks great though!

Glad you got some rain!

• Slimy_Okra
    10 years ago

I'll echo the saying, "be careful what you ask for!".

Back in the first week of July, as were picking peas in the heat, I deeply regret that I said "I almost look forward to fall". Well, we got fall alright. We've had more nights in the 40s than in the 50s since the second week of the month, as well as a couple of nights in the 30s. Even up here, that is unusual for July.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Sounds like our June weather circled back around to you ;-) Glad you got what you needed, but be careful what you ask for!

This month has been dry, not drought dry but about 1.2" under normal which you'd think would be OK considering June was 8" above normal but pond is getting noticeably low, blackberries are drying up and I've had to water the veggies at least once a week. Just watered peas today b/c I soaked them Sat before planting Sunday, we were supposed to get rain but barely got any. Might have to start more (along with my fall transplants going to start in house this week).

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll echo the saying, "be careful what you ask for!".

Thanks, that is exactly what is happening! Two months of dry and now we are in a wet pattern. Good rain chances 6 of the next 8 days. It is pouring outside as I type this. I was hoping to miss it tonight, try to lightly work up some ground and get some fall crops (turnips, rutabegas, daikon radish, green onions, and more carrots planted), but that is out the window. With late fall plantings, everyday is critical! I figure I have about 10-14 days or it will be too late. I will plant them when I can and hope. I am planning on putting up low tunnels over them and harvest as long as I can.

Maybe I can get fall transplants started tomorrow instead, after I wade through the mud to pick melons!

Jay

• Rio_Grande
    10 years ago

Jay did this last round get you again? We saw alot of flooding your way.

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We have missed the last several rounds, they have been south of us. We did get another .75 on Saturday night. I am really needing to get fall crops planted, but I am not sure if I can. Weathermen are calling for rain for 7 of the next 8 days. I may just have to see what happens and try to get some stuff planted later today.

Jay

• Rio_Grande
    10 years ago

Good luck, we had some luck and got ours in, now if we can just get some rain. I have been irrigating daily for over a month now,

• JLN123
    10 years ago

I hear you Jay, It has been tough around here too. We had Ping Pong ball to Golf Ball Hail on July 22 and 80 - 100 mph straight line winds on July 23. It took the plastic off of the high tunnel and really beat the plants up. 2 weeks without plastic and LOTS of rain have are starting to have an effect on our tomatoes. We finally got plastic back on last Sunday and are trying to dry out now.
    After the last 2 years I never thought that I would complain about rain!
    J.L.